1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street Bloopers/Technical Difficulties

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Get Back!!!

Once, sometime during the 80's, they had one of those "How they make things" clips. This one was only on a few times, since it showed how records (y'know, LP's) were made. Showed the wax, the machines in the factory, the record sleeves, the whole bit.

Anyway, there was this guy who had some kind of local band, and they showed them jamming a little with their guitars, warming up, and they wanted the guy's son to sing "Bingo". (This recording plays over the record factory shots). So anyway, this little kid (about 5 or 6) steps up to the mike. The bandleader says: "a one, a two, a one, two, three four!" and the kid begins to sing at the top of his voice:

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
    But he knew it wouldn't last!
    Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
    For some...

And the dad immediately says "No no no! You're singing that other song. Remember, you're going to sing 'Bingo'." So the kid sings "Bingo" on the second take and gets it right.

For a few seconds, there was a Paul McCartney impersonator on Sesame Street!

Convincing John
  2. Convincing John

Hey, yeah! I saw that, too. Maybe it's because they were getting ready to speed up the film when the monsters ran in, and the projector wasn't working quite right.

Convincing John
  3. dinoboy

dinoboy Member

Here's something strange I remember, one day when I was young watching Sesame Street, the station had some technical difficulties and the show stopped. You saw an image of Big Bird (during the 1970's) standing next to the Sesame Street sign post smiling. Then you start to hear some easy listening music in the background. After awhile, you hear someone announcing
    "We are currently having some technical difficulties at this time, and that a monster may be in our machine, so sit back, relax and we will have the problem fixed momentarily." What a way to tell the kids about techincal difficulties.
  4. balana

balana New Member

There's a skit I've seen of 'The Remembering Game' where Cookie Monster and some other guy are playing a sort of 'matching' game where there's 4 blocks on a game board with the numbers 1-4, 2 with cookies and 2 with airplanes on the back. The first time a number is picked, the camera's got a wider shot on the game board, where an arm can clearly be seen turning the block around to reveal the plane. On subsequent guesses the shot of the game board is a little bit closer to cut out the edges.
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i've seen pictures of that on a yahoo group but don't ever recall seeing that growing up. I wonder what Henson and the rest of the muppet staff thought after they realized it? Jim might of said. I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU NOT TO SHOW YOURSELVES!
  6. superboober

superboober Member

Well, he probably wouldn't have gone about it like that; it's well documented that Jim rarely raised his voice on problems and sought to overcome errors constructively. :)
  7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Probably not for the most part i was joking.
  8. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Another blooper that comes to mind, is in The Count's Countdown. For video 3 they play "Wet Paint" and they say that How Now Brown's record company is Mootown Records, when his original record company is Splotchkat Records.

Not to mention the obvious that Mootown Records is paradizing Motown music which How Now Brown's group plays nothing of the sort type of music what so ever.

Weird no?
  9. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

Muppeteer Spoted

ok I have one for one and all. there was this skit where Grover talks about the libary. An ATM walks in and tells Grover "your speaking rather loudly, you have to talk softer."
    Close to the end the Atm puppet walks up to a book shelf and we see Jerry Nelson holding up the ATM puppet.
  10. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Another one that comes to mind is in the "Songs of the Street" album where they celebrate 35 years. In one part of the book they say Melissa Etheridge tried to fend off a googley-eyed over affectionate U.

But having seen the video the U was neither googly-eyed or over affectionate. And she wasn't trying to get away from the U, she was dancing with it.

Apparently they were confusing Melissa Etheridge for Smokey Robinson.

Weird no?
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't really know if this counts but a year or 2 ago, when Telly had the baby duck, when he was dressed up like a duck, you could hear clicking noises made by the puppet's fake beak when his mouth moved.

Aslo, not really a blooper, but an inconsistancy... in the Letter of the Day delivery service episode from season35 (the one with Seth Green) a few of the letters came connected (PQRS was on a wheel of fortune and another set of letters was in a hanging mobile). Considering that each letter is supposed to come one day for 26 days, how can that happen if the letters are on a connected product. Unless they are pieces and need to be assembled.
  12. Convincing John

Bob wants to change careers?

Here's one. There's a song they played featuring Big Bird, Susan and Bob. It was a song called "Can Read" (I think) and was a parody of "Can Do". Here's a link to the lyrics:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=196304&postcount=2

Anyway, when we see Bob, he sings about reading the newspaper, but as he does, you can clearly see the headline "HOW TO CHANGE CAREERS" on the front page in big, bold letters! When Bob sings the line "A newspaper you can read", he taps the headline!

I wonder if someone was pulling a prank on Bob, because it doesn't look like he saw the front of the paper, because he had it open...or maybe Bob was pulling a prank on CTW!

And here's another Bob moment that sticks out in my mind. It's not really a "blooper", but it was shown at a rather inappropriate time.

When I was in about first grade, we had this really huge snowstorm. Ten below zero, ice and blowing snow everywhere. What people were out couldn't start their cars and kept falling down on the ice. Yup, school was cancelled! Yaaaaay!:)
    Anyway, my mom was turning on the weather in the kitchen (on the radio) and told me to turn on the TV in the living room to check our local weather station to catch the radar. So I did.
    "Is the weather on?" she asked. "Did you find it?"
    I looked at the TV. "Well..."
    Confused at my answer, Mom came into the living room. Sesame Street was on, and there was Bob with an ice cream cone in each hand, standing in front of a huge, cardboard sun backdrop. She looked at the TV right when the camera showed a close up of Bob saying "Boy, it's hot today!"
    Mom raised her eyebrows, looked out the window at the two feet of swirling snow on our street, back at the TV, and said "Well, I don't know what forecast Bob's been watchin', but it sure ain't hot here!":D I started laughing and then Bob said something like "Boy, I need to cool off!" Before Mom changed the channel she said "Well, Bob, if you want to cool off, you can come on over here and shovel the walk. That'll cool you off real quick!"
    We evenually found the right forecast, but Bob never came over to shovel our walk.;)

Convincing John
  13. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Try this classic blooper:

When The Mad Painter paints a 10 on the stool, it ends up on Mac's coveralls right? But wouldn't the 1 be upside-down since it was a two-stick 1? :confused:
  14. Livehandmuppet

Livehandmuppet New Member

well i know two.

In the song "Breakfast the most important meal of the day", when the fruits sing "of the day, of the day, were the most important meal of the day!", you can see the anything orange live hand lady chef's sleeve.

On tellys song "telly tut", when he sing "where circle squares and ovals king tut would never tango" if you look real closly, a puppeters head can be seen controlling the AM purple muppet. knowing he was seen, he ducks down. (probaly jerry Nelson) :search:
  15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

At the end of one of the "F Cheer" segments, a puppeteer starts tossing the fat blue puppet in the air. You can see it has no legs and where the performer sticks their hand.
  16. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

The word they were spelling was "Hotel Empire", which is located at 44 W. 63rd in New York. It's still standing to this day and looks pretty much the same from the outside. I heard they recently renovated the inside and it's now quite a snazzy place. It even has a swimming pool on the roof for those adventurous folk! :) For photos of the building and the sign, Google "Hotel Empire New York", and hit "images". There are several great close range shots of the sign (which looks pretty much the same) and of the whole building if you look hard enough. :) Don't forget to bring your banjo and kazoo!
  17. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I don't know if I'd call it a blooper.
    because you really can't control the traffic.

Oh I see ISNorden already replied on that.
  18. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Sponsorship blooper from Episode 1092

This has already been posted to the Muppet Wiki, but--did you notice that Episode 1092 ends with someone announcing the previous day's sponsors? The cast must have been losing track of time by then...:)
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

In Honk Around the Clock, you can tell the pillars are not secured. If you look closely about 0:40, 0:56 ( both right), and 1:30 (left) Honkers bump into the pillars, and they wobble.
  20. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The same thing happened in ABC Disco when Grover stared resting on one and it began wobling ("I'm busy holding up the ballroom!")