Sesame Street censorship

Drtooth

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
I didn't notice that. But now that we've brought up censorship on Noggin, I shall describe a MAJOR Noggin chop job I just saw. In 2226, there's a street scene from which Noggin removed several parts, which I've noted here in red.

The chop shop here must not be censorship, but rather Floggin (as I dubbed it) cut stuff out so they can show more crap like Blue's got no Clue, Maisy, the world's poorlyest drawn rat, and the other crappy Nick Jr. Chows you could easily see on Nick....

ssetta

Reaction score
Why in the world would they edit those?

Censored

Reaction score
Here are two other redone skits:

In the extended "Put Down The Ducky", the scene with Pee Wee Herman was deleted after the scandal.

In the skit "Birdland", scenes with David were deleted after Northern Calloway died.

Censored

Reaction score
This example is not exactly censorship, but rather a strange choice of words of editing from TV to video:

In the late eighties, Sesame Street did a show where most of the human cast along with Big Bird go up on the roof to have a sing along. They are accompanied by Biff and Sully who repeatedly try to fix an antenna. As usual, these street segments are show in between other skits. At the very end, after a rendition of "What's The Name" Of That Song", the antenna that Biff and Sully had been working on collapses and the letter and number of the day are announced among closing credits. Well, these street scenes were adapted to a Sesame video called "Sing Along". At the very end of this video, the letter and number announcement would obviously make so sense since it was all street scenes, so they dub over the very last lines with a voice saying to Biff, "You call yourself a repairman?" Biff replies, "No, a Republican. I call myself a Republican." Didn't really make much more sense than the closing credits would have. I guess it must have been an inside joke. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it and had to rewind it to make sure I heard right.

BTW, this is a very good video that I highly recommend because it was a later showed that still had the essence of Sesame Street well defined.

ssetta

Reaction score
Was the video exactly the same as the show?

Censored

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Was the video exactly the same as the show?

Hi. It had the exact same street scenes from the show except for that last dubbed in line.

Hays

Reaction score
That video is one of the most prized in my collection; FAR and away better than the dreadful "Kid's Favorite Songs" videos.

You can usually find copies on half.com, or on Amazon's Zshops (or in thrift stores, where I find them)

Frazzle

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I actually heard someplace that the "Kermit News: Rapunzel" sketch originally had Prince Charming yelling "SHUT UP!!" I don't remember if he said it to Kermit or Rapunzel, but it definitely was edited out.

And also, the most infamous counting series with the baker. From about 1981 on, they edited out the part with the baker falling down the stairs.

I'm sure there were others, but some of the ones you mentioned, I never even knew those existed! But what's wrong with the phrase "Darn it?"
Are you sure they edited the baker falling down the stairs? I watched that show up until I was 6 & the clip was still on the air. That would be 1986. I distinctly remember the version of that skit for the number six. The baker announces: "Six strawberry shortcakes" & falls down the stairs. He always fell down the steps at the end of those clips & they always spoke of numbers up to 10 in that skit. I could be wrong, but I have a sharp memory of that one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
punkNpuppets said:
You can't say 'heck', 'darn', 'fudge' (unless they mean chocolate fudge). but they ARE aloud to say 'gosh' and 'geez'.
So let me get this straight, Sesame Street characters aren't allowed to say words like: heck, darn, or fudge; but Pepe was allowed to say "sexy", "hot", and the phrase " it sucks"? I thought that was very inappropiate for a Muppet movie. And what about Long John Silver saying "Damnation" and "****" in Muppet Tresure Island.

Dave Thomer

Reaction score
Niall said:
AFAIK, the Muppet characters on Sesame Street were NEVER on the receiving end of pies in the face.
For what it's worth, on the 'Bert & Ernie's Word Play' DVD, Bert and Prairie both get hit with a couple of pies.