1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street censorship

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Boober_Gorg, Oct 17, 2002.

1. muppetphile

muppetphile New Member

I haven't seen any of the SS unpaved episodes (yet). Does anyone know if they "edited" (CENSORED!) any of them?
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they got away with that one as well.. heh heh heh! :grouchy:
  3. Splurge

Splurge Member

The Unpaved episodes have 5 minutes edited out of them, not because of censorship, but because Noggin had each show divided into two parts with time in between for interstitials, Deja Noggin clips, etc. It was the same with Electric Company, and I presume Square One TV.

If editors were indeed instructed to chop off 5 minutes of segments per episode, I'll bet they had to make some hard choices.
  4. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that edit, but I have this on tape, and she sings about them drinking beer! And if I'm not mistaken, there might have been a few "frosty mugs" actually on camera as props, I think. I'll have to check to be sure, though.

I do remember a joke on there that went something like:

"Did you catch anything?"
    "Yeah, I caught a cold!" (crowd laughs, and a woman who obviously is performed by Frank Oz because of the "Piggy voice" says) "Oh, ha ha! That's cute!"

Convincing John
  5. drmusic_99

drmusic_99 New Member

I just heard the song, and my memory was a bit faulty... it's actually "I'll tell him where to LEAVE his toys." That SOUNDS a bit better, but in truth, it's just as bad. ;)
  6. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Hi. I don't know what version you heard of the song, but I have the actual tape of the Christmas special. I just listened to the song on there (so weird, a Christmas special on Halloween) and Oscar DEFINITELY said, "I'll tell him where to PUT his toys." Maybe they modified the line in some other versions of the song.
  7. Drtooth

Seriously. I really have to say the Between the lions gets away with quite a lot more than sesame. 2 days ago, there was this episode where they have to fix Theo's typewriter, and they made this pretty gruesome site gag... the metal round bar that holds the paper and moves to the end of the lkine flies out, seconds later we see a Monkey walk by with the bar going completely THROUGH his head and brain....gruesome for a kid's show...
  8. drmusic_99

drmusic_99 New Member

I guess they changed it for rerelease, because I did remember the word "put."
  9. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

You're right - the album version.
  10. Hays

Hays New Member

Though Between the Lions is marketed to a completely different group of children who have hopefully learned TV is pretend and you should be careful what behavior you copy...
  11. Drtooth

It's basically the same, or similar demographic. Just kids who are a little bit older, and are just learning to read. But the point I was making is that they can actually handle such humor and they know that most kids know the boundaries between fiction and nonfiction. The SS people (child Psycologists) really want to dumb everything down...
  12. BlueAM

BlueAM New Member

I'm wondering if there were any Muppets in that skit. I'm guessing AMs, so I want to know what they look like. If this is true, please include what AMs they were, what clothes they wore, what their noses were like, what hair they had, etc. You see, I'm helping The Count with his list and I was thinking of including these characters IF they were Muppets. Thanks!

BlueAM
  13. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Does anybody remember the skit "Everybody Sleeps?" Well, I do. At the end, there was this cool train sequence, where this freight train was rolling down the tracks at night. If I'm not mistaken, it was pulled by a black GE E33 locomotive, which looks like a diesel freight engine, but runs on electricity with a pantograph on top (for the overhead wires, kinda like the Acela.) It rolls by a train station with people sleeping. Do they still air that skit? And when did it debut?
  14. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

and what would that word be
  15. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

they editted "republican" cuz it might offend, erm, 'non-republicans'
  16. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

If you're referring to the line in the "Sing Along" video that I mentioned earlier, it wasn't edited out; it was edited in when the musical street scenes were put on video. Biff calling himself a Republican takes the place of the letter and number of the day being announced. I can only guess that the choice of words was some kind of inside joke.
  17. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

ah i see. well i must say, i have a huge problem with people who are afraid to mention diff religions,political parties, etc. like when i met Nikki Tilroe on school career day, she was talking about how she was working on Lamb Chops and there was this "medievel" like song, and it showed kids in medievel clothes, one of which had a cross on the shield. sherry kept bugging nikki, like, "should i keep or should i get rid of it? i dont wanna offend ppl but i..bla bla...yada yada.." WELL, she ended up keeping the cross and there was no complaints from anyone. people need to stop being ridiculous. theres also that whole "wrong to say merry christmas" thing. who does that offend? the vast majority of ppl in america think that "theory" is extremley dumb! well i should stop, cuz i can go on forever about how i hate how ppl are too PC
  18. Drtooth

Yeah, there are some things that are too PC... ya can't say Merry Christmas? That is pretty (as they say) "Wak"

Do they say something like, "Have a joyful holiday season depending on if you celebrate any religious denominational holiday whatsoever."

>>And besides, Big Bird did say the word that means "to mend socks" on last season's Journey to Ernie segments.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

and what would that word be<<

Darn.
  19. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

I'm not PC. HAPPY HANUKKAH to everyone on this list!
  20. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

This may be off the topic of this thread, but I just got this clip in Spanish, courtesy of our Joggy (thanks man!). Only the number was 4. I knew instantly what the sketch was about when I saw the pie. ;)