1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street censorship

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Boober_Gorg, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The chop shop here must not be censorship, but rather Floggin (as I dubbed it) cut stuff out so they can show more crap like Blue's got no Clue, Maisy, the world's poorlyest drawn rat, and the other crappy Nick Jr. Chows you could easily see on Nick....
  2. ssetta Active Member

Why in the world would they edit those?
  3. GeeBee New Member

Here are two other redone skits:

In the extended "Put Down The Ducky", the scene with Pee Wee Herman was deleted after the scandal.

In the skit "Birdland", scenes with David were deleted after Northern Calloway died.
  4. GeeBee New Member

This example is not exactly censorship, but rather a strange choice of words of editing from TV to video:

In the late eighties, Sesame Street did a show where most of the human cast along with Big Bird go up on the roof to have a sing along. They are accompanied by Biff and Sully who repeatedly try to fix an antenna. As usual, these street segments are show in between other skits. At the very end, after a rendition of "What's The Name" Of That Song", the antenna that Biff and Sully had been working on collapses and the letter and number of the day are announced among closing credits. Well, these street scenes were adapted to a Sesame video called "Sing Along". At the very end of this video, the letter and number announcement would obviously make so sense since it was all street scenes, so they dub over the very last lines with a voice saying to Biff, "You call yourself a repairman?" Biff replies, "No, a Republican. I call myself a Republican." Didn't really make much more sense than the closing credits would have. I guess it must have been an inside joke. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it and had to rewind it to make sure I heard right.

BTW, this is a very good video that I highly recommend because it was a later showed that still had the essence of Sesame Street well defined.
  5. ssetta Active Member

Was the video exactly the same as the show?
  6. GeeBee New Member

Hi. It had the exact same street scenes from the show except for that last dubbed in line.
  7. Hays New Member

That video is one of the most prized in my collection; FAR and away better than the dreadful "Kid's Favorite Songs" videos.

You can usually find copies on half.com, or on Amazon's Zshops (or in thrift stores, where I find them)
  8. Frazzle New Member

Are you sure they edited the baker falling down the stairs? I watched that show up until I was 6 & the clip was still on the air. That would be 1986. I distinctly remember the version of that skit for the number six. The baker announces: "Six strawberry shortcakes" & falls down the stairs. He always fell down the steps at the end of those clips & they always spoke of numbers up to 10 in that skit. I could be wrong, but I have a sharp memory of that one.
  9. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight, Sesame Street characters aren't allowed to say words like: heck, darn, or fudge; but Pepe was allowed to say "sexy", "hot", and the phrase " it sucks"? I thought that was very inappropiate for a Muppet movie. And what about Long John Silver saying "Damnation" and "****" in Muppet Tresure Island.
  10. Dave Thomer New Member

For what it's worth, on the 'Bert & Ernie's Word Play' DVD, Bert and Prairie both get hit with a couple of pies.
  11. Ryan New Member

How were they inappropriate??
  12. That's because Sesame Street's target audience is very young children, while the other Muppets skew, in theory at least, to an adult audience.

And besides, Big Bird did say the word that means "to mend socks" on last season's Journey to Ernie segments.
  13. billyk New Member

In an old animated short (I think it was for the letter A with a witch and 2 boys.), the little ant who wanted to eat an apple and couldn't states "Darn-it, I'm hungry".

I have a copy on a SS noggin episode.
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Sucks is not technically a swear... I've heard it used on severl Kids shows, Including Pepper Ann (Moose says, "Peppy, I thought you said that Drama sucked!") plus, I've heard Crap used on Ren and Stimpy (after John K was fired!) and in Hey Arnold (Helga says, "They're going to beat the crap out of each other)

Plus, Sexy was uttered several times on Animaniacs, it was on the cover of an ALF comic book, and in several Garfield strips, amoung others.
  15. rjschex New Member

Three more examples of sketches withdrawn from circulation:

Jazz #2 (w/Grace Slick)
    ---shown on the premiere episode, this installment of the 1969 psychadleic animation series was removed presumably because of a scene toward the end in which two men draw guns. (The kind used in kiddie westerns, where a banner pops out.) The Jazz series was last seen in the 90-91 season; only #3, #4, #6, #8 and #10 were shown. (I presume #5 was withdrawn because of the obsolete "5-cent" sign on the gumball machine.)

"H"-TV (my title, not official)
    ---B&E sketch in which Bert is trying to watch a show on TV, but instead sees an annoying, repetitive robotic "H" flash on the screen. Discontinued because Ernie apparently takes the TV set apart--very dangerous! (Inside, he finds objects beginning with "H.")

Mad Painter #8
    ---Paul Benedict (Mr. Bentley of The Jeffersons) at his naughtiest. He paints the #8 on a bald man's head! Painting on human skin is dangerous, because the paint blocks off the skin's pores. Also, after the man finds the "8" on his head, he chases Paul around the pool. (You know the rule--NO RUNNING NEAR THE POOL!)
  16. Splurge Member

I've often wondered something else regarding the 5¢ gumball machine in Jazz #5... was that cartoon dubbed in other languages to show to other countries? And if so, did they have to deal with the "5¢" part? I don't really expect a definite answer, just once of those things that make you go hmmmmmm........

I know other Jazz cartoons were dubbed into other languages like Hebrew for Rechov Sumsum and Spanish, presumably for Plaza Sesamo and here on the American show. It stands to reason that #5 was probably one of them.

Do you think the 5 dudes who were riding on the crocodile (?) were meant to be the Jackson 5?
  17. Mad Lil' Jerry New Member

Violence & Grover

I do remember a skit featuring Grover talking about a one way sign. This was way back in the early to mid 70's that when he would say that it was a one way sign, a group of muppets would walk in the opposite direction stomping on grover.

I thought it was fairly graphic because he would throw his arms in the air and make some kind of scream, he would get up with the sign facing the other direction. When he tried to explain it again... again the gang of muppets stomped Grover again.

I don't believe that is currently replayed.

-MLJ
  18. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Poor Ernie, I feel your pain. I didn't realize how many things you COULDN'T say on Sesame Street, but about this "heck" thing, I remember Huxley said heck in The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, where he said "I didn't borrow this blanket, I didn't rent this blanket, heck, I didn't even sing a 36 month lease on the this blanket"
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

There was one short cartoon, if memory serves, with 2 cartoon cactuses singing "Here we are", and one of them replies, "To heck with there.."

I'm guessing it was cut out by now, but that wasn't too long ago.
  20. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This one can still be seen on Noggin on 123 Sesame in one of the season 29, 30, or 31 episodes.