1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street censorship

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Boober_Gorg, Oct 17, 2002.

1. roadrat15

roadrat15 New Member

Somethings are sometimes too censored for their own good. If a muppet bangs their head against the table, I don't consider it dangerous,it's darn funny.
  2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I accidentally bumped my head on the wall last night. That wasn't very funny for me.
  3. roadrat15

roadrat15 New Member

There,I kissed the boo-boo . . .does it feel better now?
  4. Daffyfan2003

Yeah. Thanks, Roadrat. Lol.
  5. roadrat15

roadrat15 New Member

Oh, Mommy will be so proud of me! Once again SUPer roadrat has saved the day!
  6. Hays

Hays New Member

Does anybody remember the series of animated shorts (I hope this was SS and not the Electric Company) where there was a construction worker guy. He'd come up to a sign that said, say "DANGER," and sound it out slowly and incorrectly, and something would fall on him eventually. Kind of like the Chicken Jane shorts on Between the Lions now.

You know, I can see why they've retired those, but my brother and I LIVED for them at the time! Even with a two-year-old of my own, I'd love to see those back!
  7. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Thanks for getting back on topic, Hays.
  8. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Member

Sesame Street had some cartoon shorts with a guy trying to read a sign, and something happening to him...and The Electric Company had some like that too...except that the SS ones were words, and the TEC ones were commands ("Duck", "Do not enter", etc.)
  9. Daffyfan2003

I think I know what you mean. I remember one where he pronounced the word "school" and a little boy or a little girl came up to him and said, "What are you talking about? Today is Saturday." Then he responded "Oh, no school."
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Do you mean this?

www.toonarific.com/s/sesametoo9.jpg

I think that sounds correct!
  11. Hays

Hays New Member

Yup, that's the one - don't have Noggin, so I can't rely on it! So they haven't edited those out? That's great! As a former puppeteer, I know the pressures to keep everything PC - but I think we don't give kids enough credit. I think they do have a limited understanding of cartoon violence.

I wish Unpaved was on broadcast. There's so much junk out there for kids, even on PBS!
  12. Boober_Gorg

WOW! Thanks for that link! :D I forgot all about those! Anyone know who did those?
  13. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

In the song "Everyone Loves Ice Cream" the mean boy with the green pointy head calls his brother a "sissy". This line is dubbed out on Noggin.
  14. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

well I guess if they get over a certain amount of complaints they edit away! I can understand how silly it can get. When I volunteer at the library, I turn on the TV before arts and crafts (I know to stay away from cartoon network) but half the time, every show I turn it to someone says "mommy said I can't watch this" so we usually watch the weather channel

fun
  15. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel New Member

I think it's important to clarify that Sesame Workshop adapting old material to changing standards is not "censorship". The Workshop has free range to create material within its own curriculum, and the curriculum is constantly changing to meet the needs of viewers.

Don Music might perhaps be a helpful example -- the character was voluntarily phased out by producers after their own research showed them that children imitated his head-banging. This cannot in any way be construed as censorship. For censorship to occur, an arbiter outside of Sesame Workshop would need to be proscribing certain kinds of content, and that does not happen.

Television is essentially self-governing: There are certain requirements for kids' shows, but it's up to producers to meet those requirements. Writers and producers have a great deal of freedom, and if an issue of contention arises, it is discussed and decided internally.

I hope that helps clarify the issues.

secret squirrel
  16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

They should have done it sooner, then; that's what happened to all my hair!!! :confused: :boo: :sleep:
  17. Hays

Hays New Member

"Television is essentially self-governing: There are certain requirements for kids' shows, but it's up to producers to meet those requirements. Writers and producers have a great deal of freedom, and if an issue of contention arises, it is discussed and decided internally."

OK, that being said, isn't it true that a parent's group lobbied to have Snuffleupagus come out in the open? As a child who had many, many invisible friends I never liked that idea.

I do get concerned when SS listens to small lobby groups when they should be listening to ME instead! :D
  18. One thing I'm kind of surprised they haven't taken out is the following quote from the "getting dressed" segment of "Elmo's World"

"Coming up next...Socks and the City."
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

SISSY?!?!?!

HOW COULD THEY GET AWAY WITH SUCH A SICK, DEPRAVED, PERVERTED PROFANITY AS "SISSY?'

Net thing you'll know they'll call each other "sour pusses," "dummy," and worst of all "Silly!!!"

I for one do not want to find MY child learning such language from television....especially since they hear MUCH worse from their friends...

Come on!

Have you listend to little kids? They talk like drunken sailors....

Someone calling their brother a "sissy" is the least of their problems...

Censorship.... the dumbway street!
  20. Boober_Gorg

I didn't notice that. But now that we've brought up censorship on Noggin, I shall describe a MAJOR Noggin chop job I just saw. In 2226, there's a street scene from which Noggin removed several parts, which I've noted here in red.

PART 1: The Play Yard. The scene begins with a close-up of the cake, zooming out to reveal a party going on. Hoots and the cats are playing some dance music while the guests are dancing. Maria tells Hoots to stop the music so that she can announce the festivities, and so that everyone can clear some space in the yard for the festivities to begin.
    PART 2: Big Bird consoles Snuffy beside Oscar's can.
    PART 3: Some kids perform some tricks until Barkley interrupts the show.

PART 4: Big Bird consoles Snuffy some more, and tells Maria they're not ready yet.
    PART 5: Susan and the Extremes perform their song.
    PART 6: Big Bird looks for Snuffy, who seems to be missing.
    PART 7: Oscar announces that Slimey is going to perform a stunt: he dives into a can of mud (next to Oscar's temporary can). We don't hear Slimey land. Oscar keeps saying he's still falling. When Maria looks into the mud can to see if Slimey's okay, she gets an unpleasant surprise. :D