1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street Character Voice Comparisons

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Canadian Fan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

This thread gets more interesting every day.

I came across another recast in recent years: Guy Smiley, everyone's favorite game show host on Sesame Street

Here's Jim Henson's version (a voice close to Jim's own speaking voice and Kermit's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSZORHe7ow

And now here's Eric Jacobson's version from a one-time appearance (very close to Eric's own speaking voice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzr5JajCXZM
  2. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

At times, he sounds like Grover.
  3. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

4. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

5. mr3urious

There's something a bit "wrong-sounding" about John's voice that I can't quite put my finger on.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I can't really give a valid opinion on Johnny T's Ernie, but I have to give him kudos though... he was only sixteen, performing alongside seasoned professionals, AND playing a character originated by Jim himself. That had to been tough and hair-raising, nonetheless, so just the fact that he was able to pull off Ernie, I think he deserves a round of applause.
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm 100% sure he wasn't 16 when he did Ernie for PWMS. He was born 1978.
  8. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

Is it just me or did the early versions of Bert & Ernie sound different from the late '70's versions. Jim and Frank's voices for the characters sounded more exciting in the late 1970's compared to the early 1970's (it could be that the characters were still being developed).

I still like Steve's Ernie a lot better compared to John's Ernie. Steve's version sounds more excitable.

The Two-Headed Monster is another one that was recast in recent years:

The Original with Jerry Nelson & Richard Hunt:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5RbNxJnTqA

The Current version with Joey Mazzarino & David Rudman
    (I couldn't find one with Jerry Nelson & David Rudman)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PDXAcUw0s
  9. mr3urious

10. D'Snowth

There's some misinformation abound then; a magazine article I had clipped a few years ago for my old Muppet scrapbook that I haven't touched in ages said he was 16.

I can... Jerry and Richard's voices are a little gruffer and deeper (Richard sounding a bit more cartoony too); Joey and David's sounds like Papa Bear and an early Baby Bear speaking in gibberish.
  11. mr3urious

Also, I noticed the way David pronounces "PIGGAY!" as the THM is like how he pronounces "COOKAY!" when playing Cookie Monster.
  12. Oscarfan

Actually, Joey was the head with the pigs. Dave is the head who had the chickens.
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Joey and David's recast for the Two Headed Monster, I'd say is a great example of characteristics and chemistry over voice imitation. They have been playing a LOT of duo characters over the years, Humphry and Ingrid, Joey and Davey Monkey, Papa Bear and Baby Bear. And that's just 3 examples. They have the perfect behind the scenes chemistry that make a symbiotic character like 2Head come across flawlessly. The attitude and performance are remarkably like the original performers, even if the voices sound a bit higher and less gruff. Jerry and Richard had the most unmistakable, unique voices of the troupe... the Fraggle Rock cartoon shows that they aren't easily imitated (especially with Junior Gorg. Guy didn't even try).
  14. D'Snowth

I'm having difficulty dicyphering this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlxXVfxZ28

Just by looking at the set (I can almost always correctly guess the era just by looking at the set), and the fact that Mr. Hooper is missing, I determine that this is from about 1984 or so.

It's difficult to tell if Telly is voiced by Brian, or if that's Marty when he first started out and tried to mimic Brian's Telly before he made the character his own.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Hmm, for now I'm going to go with Marty (or at least someone) trying to sound like Brian.
  16. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

That's Marty? I thought for sure that was Brian as Telly. Even in Marty's earliest Telly appearances, he at least sounds a little similar to how he sounds now. That definitely sounds like a Brian Muehl Telly to me. That would be my guess.
  17. D'Snowth

It just sounds too "energetic" to be Brian's Telly: Brian's Telly always sounds whiney, and he doesn't sound whiney in this bit.
  18. Oscarfan

It's definitely Brian. It can't be Marty, he's doing Snuffy in the same scene. And you'd be able to tell if one of their voices was pre-recorded.
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Brian's Telly has a very distinct gruffness to it, and it was instantly recognizable even before I read the rest of the thread to see it pointed out.

Seems the character started to evolve a more energetic personality and delivery before Marty took the role over. So it wasn't all Marty's take on the character that made him less of a sad sack.
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell really, the gruffness keeps going in and out which is why I didn't think it was Brian at first. But you could also be right. ::shrugs:: Lol