Sesame Street to Introduce HIV-Positive Muppet

radionate

Reaction score
I can make you a pretend Smore with Cardboard, Mud, and Paste. It might not taste good, but it won't have corn syrup!!!! (and it'll look the same)

Hays

Reaction score
Sorry that the Special Ed situation had to end this way, but unfortunately there are none so blind as those who will not see. When I was working at Border's the most frequent cases of in-store harassment were perpetrated by well-meaning folk of his ilk, in just such a manner.

HIV and AIDS has taken scores more puppeteers than just the late great Richard Hunt, unfortunately. Those of us who were in the business lost many, many mentors in the late 80's. Without hating anybody involved, I HATE that disease!

On the Africa subject, I don't remember who started it, but there was a great political debate among the African governments about the HIV/AIDS connection (somebody claiming it didn't exist.) I can't imagine how Sesame Street could respond to that, but did it come up?

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
Without hating anybody involved, I HATE that disease!

On the Africa subject, I don't remember who started it, but there was a great political debate among the African governments about the HIV/AIDS connection (somebody claiming it didn't exist.) I can't imagine how Sesame Street could respond to that, but did it come up?
To the first part-- yes, it is a horrible disease. Not only does it kill, but it so often kills very slowly in a variety of painful ways. Just awful.

On the second, I haven't seen anything about that in regard to the Sesame character. It would be an interesting challenge... I think the character will mostly tackle understanding for people with HIV and the belief that HIV is not connected to AIDS would certainly be an easy thing to connect to that. I can't imagine much that would be more painful than knowing you are HIV+, in a nation where drugs that can improve qaulity and length of life are not readily available, and having people deny what lies ahead of you.

Umm, how about apple pie and ice cream? I don't really feel like s'mores and s'less well, there's no sugar in that so what's the point?

matleo

Reaction score
Apple Pie and ice cream!! Very Richie Cunningham.....I like it!! To the kitchen!!!

--Matt

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I don't care for apple pie. Gimme a piece of Marie Calendars pumpkin pie and I'm as happy as Rizzo in a buffet line!

Daniel:smile:

matleo

Reaction score
Well Phil

Having completed a long day of discussing Muppets, religion, and politics it appears our merry band has turned it's attention to more important matters...dessert! I think things are back to normal.:rolleyes:

--Matt