Sesame Workshop Trying To Have It Both Ways(Bert/Ernie issue)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Do not preach to me or anyone else. This post has zero to due with YOUR personal religious convictions, so I would invite you to keep them to yourself as they are, as you put it, "beliefs", not facts.
Most of what people post here are their "beliefs" and not facts. I think you both have a right to say what you want to say. Nobody has to read one of them or either of them if they don't want to. :wink:

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Heralde,

I will never fault anyone for their beliefs or their right to believe it. However, pushing them down someone's throat saying "this is wrong because my superior God, religion, holy text, sacred book, bar napkin, etc. says so, and is right because I believe it", is going a little too far.

And no, that is straying way far of the topic. No one turned this into a religious discussion but GonzoLeaper, going out of their way to quote chapter and verse.

Fragglerockr

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I will never fault anyone for their beliefs or their right to believe it. However, pushing them down someone's throat saying "this is wrong because my superior God, religion, holy text, sacred book, bar napkin, etc. says so, and is right because I believe it", is going a little too far.
Oh I don't love it either. But it's just an opinion and it can't hurt me.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
It had zero to do with the topic. It was brought about because this person doesn't like the fact that anyone (including puppets) could/should be misconstrued as homosexual. Because that would just be wrong. LOL

Fragglerockr

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Heralde,

And no, that is straying way far of the topic. No one turned this into a religious discussion but GonzoLeaper, going out of their way to quote chapter and verse.

Fragglerockr
Okay, I'm gonna jump in for a moment considering I've watched this thread despite not being a part of it.

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate for a moment and ask a question. What makes Gonzoleaper's post seem like shoving his beliefs down your throat? You don't have to read his posts. You can ignore him, can't you? I mean, I may not fully agree and/or disagree with what Gonzoleaper says but I'll defend his right to say it.

Obviously, Fragglefr, you have a problem with this. You have a right to say what you want and Gonzoleaper has a right to his beliefs. Let's not try to attack people for posting their own beliefs. Seriously, I've been in this situation before. It's not good.

So, please, act civilized and if you'd like discuss your differing opinions but please don't attack each other.

Okay?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You have a right to say what you want and Gonzoleaper has a right to his beliefs.
Yeah that's kind of what I'm saying. Even if I don't agree with something I hesitate to censor it, because it could just as easily happen to me.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna jump in for a moment considering I've watched this thread despite not being a part of it.

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate for a moment and ask a question. What makes Gonzoleaper's post seem like shoving his beliefs down your throat? You don't have to read his posts. You can ignore him, can't you? I mean, I may not fully agree and/or disagree with what Gonzoleaper says but I'll defend his right to say it.

Obviously, Fragglefr, you have a problem with this. You have a right to say what you want and Gonzoleaper has a right to his beliefs. Let's not try to attack people for posting their own beliefs. Seriously, I've been in this situation before. It's not good.

So, please, act civilized and if you'd like discuss your differing opinions but please don't attack each other.

Okay?
Bannansketch,

Woah! You need to slow down. I think you need to go back and re-read all his posts. I am 110% civil. Just because I can hold my ground in a conversation does not mean I am angry. However, GonzoLeaper chose some inflammatory words stating that homosexuality was an "indulgence" and a "choice that people make" and that it is a "sin".

He has no basis except for the Bible. I can quote passages from Harry Potter but that still doesn't make it fact. He started quoting scripture and verse "what the Bible says" about it to defend his position. He did say it was his opinion but this IS straying away from the subject which was originally about the portrayal of Bert & Ernie on merchandise. Sorry. if you're offended. I'm not going to let this be turned into a religious debate. Seriously, start a new thread for that.

FR

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
However, GonzoLeaper chose some inflammatory words stating that homosexuality was an "indulgence" and a "choice that people make" and that it is a "sin".
You don't agree with it and neither do I. But it's not illegal for him to say it. That's all I'm saying.

He did say it was his opinion but this IS straying away from the subject which was originally about the portrayal of Bert & Ernie on merchandise.
It's not just about the merchandise but about Sesame Street's policy on a controversial topic. How they are hesitant to portray gay couples on their show. It's not off topic.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Heralde,

I get what you're saying. You've made the point a couple of times now. What I'm saying is, is any of this on topic? If the thread is dead and people just want to discuss religion, I can do that too. I got this topic covered and then some! If people want to have a friendly debate about religion, I'm just suggesting we move it to another thread so that this can continue.

Tell you what, you folks can discuss it ad nauseum. I have several Xmas trees and decorations to put up. I've said my piece. Y'all have a good night!

FR

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get what you're saying. you've made the point a couple of times now. What I'm saying is, is any of this on topic? If the thread is dead and people just want to discuss religion, I can do that too. I got this topic covered and then some! If people want to have a friendly debate about religion, I'm just suggesting we move it to another thread so that this can continue.
You're right I am getting repetitive, lol. I do personally think it's still on topic, both his and your responses. We were discussing if Sesame Street was being hypocritical by not addressing homosexuality on its show, but at the same time portraying it cheekily in its merchandise. Naturally the question will come up whether they should decide to portray the issue on the show or not. It's not up to me to decide what's on topic of course but that's my two cents. :wink: