Seven Ball Tango

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
So, knowing that someone is going to ask what video I'm talking about, I found it. This is the YouTube one, but I swear I saw this on the Muppets.com site. But here you go

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aaand brake. *Bumps story back up topside.
:batty: Sewen ball in the side pocket.
Not yet, let WMG post an update.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Aaand brake. *Bumps story back up topside.
:batty: Sewen ball in the side pocket.
Not yet, let WMG post an update.
How fortuitious that you should do that, as an update is coming your way now.

*due to the threat of Evernote restarting my PC, this is kinda beta'd, like the early bits, but I had to read before all was lost*

Chapter VII

An evening with the Muppets.

That’s what Amanda Cosgrove would forever call it in her mind as dinner finally got off to the start. The cozy dinner for four that Miss Piggy had planned had morphed into a raucous dinner for eight, catering to four additional people that hadn’t been planned for.

But as unplanned as the evening was, Amanda could not say that she wasn’t entertained. Dinner conversation was just as sharp, witty, and fast as a game of musical chairs played on a NASCAR circuit race. In hindsight, she was surprised she managed to keep up with the conversations she was in; she did get the sense at the beginning that the group was trying to accommodate her into the conversation, but eventually that stopped and they broke off into their own separate talks.

Scooter, she noted, tried to keep a close watch on her conversations with everyone, even as he tried paying attention to whatever business talk he and Kermit were engaged in. She knew they were talking business only because she had heard Piggy admonish them for it more than once.

She and Rowlf had gotten into an interesting conversation about jazz, surprising the Whatnot in how much the brown dog actively knew about not only the music, but artist and history as well; Fozzie entertained her with some funny backstage stories from the early years of the Muppet Show; she and Rizzo had gotten into a semi-heated argument in regards to a popular and favorite restaurant in New York City, before Piggy had distracted her with some interesting fashion news tidbits.

After dinner was eaten and Piggy had insisted that the riff-raff clean up – punishment for them just showing up unannounced – the group began to retire to the large living room. Amanda could literally feel Scooter tense when Fozzie suggested he go over his act for the next night’s show.

Kermit must have sensed it too because he immediately asked if she wanted to see what he called, The Peanut Gallery. “You finally put in that display of salted peanuts!” Gonzo exclaimed, causing Amanda to look at him, a mixed of confusion and astonishment.

“Please tell me this isn’t an actual gallery of peanuts,” Scooter pleaded.

Kermit might have actually run with the idea if the look of panic on his stage manager’s face wasn’t so sad and pitiful. “Did you forget whose house you’re in?” he groused, good-naturedly. Turning to the others, he asked, “I take it I can leave the five of you out here unsupervised?”

The five in question all gave him looks that Kermit was used to seeing on his teenage nieces and nephews’ faces. “Yes, dear,” Rizzo answered, raising his voice slightly. “You go run along with the kids.”

“I didn’t know you and Kermit were so close,” quipped Piggy.

“Oh, the closest!” Rizzo cried, batting his eyes in an over exaggerated manner.

“Oh geez, I hope not,” Gonzo groaned. “Who knows what the two of you may have given each other?”

“We’re leaving!” Kermit exclaimed, beating a hasty retreat down the hall, leaving the group in the living to laugh at his embarrassment. “See, this is why they aren’t invited,” the frog complained, leading the two to another side hallway.

“That’s a lie,” Scooter smirked.
“Well, it wouldn’t matter anyway,” Kermit agreed. “They’d just stop by like they did tonight.” Looking at Amanda, he said, “Really sorry about all of this. The guys really do have a tendency of just stopping by.”

“No worries, Kermit,” the Whatnot replied. “I’m having a great time!”

“Oh good,” the frog sighed. Like Scooter, the added amount of people had started making him a little nervous as well; not for himself, for he was used to people just dropping by unannounced, but this was supposed to be an important night for Scooter.

“Well, here it is,” he said, waving a hand out. The trip stood at the front of a corridor that seemed to be lined with portraits of various Muppet cast members.

“You finally put them up,” Scooter whispered in awe.

The portraits had been a surprise gift from one of the photographers that stopped by for publicity shots when the Muppet Show was still on air. Painting had been a hobby and side project for the guy and for the very last show, he had presented Kermit with a stack of memories.

Many of the portraits were actually taken from a few of the shots that had been taken from the show and from the backstage area – some of performances, some of the group just horsing around – but it had been such a great gift that Kermit vowed he’d find a place to put them all up.

That place would eventually be where he and Piggy lived now. He had only managed to get a few up before that horrible fight had split the two and it was only until recently that he started working on putting the rest up.

Amanda was of course in awe, not only at the actual craftsmanship of the paintings themselves, but of many of the scenes depicted. There were a few publicity shots, like one of ‘the founding members of the Muppets’, which featured most of the dinner guests, as well as a couple of publicity shots that showcased some of the famous segments on the show.

The redhead personally liked the Veterinarian's Hsopital portrait, that had the stars dressed as their characters – Janice stood behind Rowlf, hugging him around the neck, while Rowlf had gripped Piggy in a hug in front of him.

There was a really cute one that had Scooter and a smaller frog, whom Kermit identified as his nephew Robin. Though the portrait was new, the concept had been taken during the first season or so of the show – in it, Scooter and Robin were at Kermit’s desk backstage, Scooter had his head resting on his arms, while Robin sat next to him on the desk, elbows on his knees and head in his heads.

The two looked for all the world like two bored little boys looking for something to do.

Which was exactly how Scooter described it.

“There’d be times when Robin and I would be so bored,” the stage manager was saying, as the three looked at the painting. “It wasn’t easy being the two youngest members. I mean, I at least had the opportunity to drive within the year, but it didn’t mean I could stay for any of the after parties.”

“They weren’t…really…all that exciting,” Kermit murmured, but he did his best to try and look the former go-fer in the eye. And failed. Miserably.

Scooter shook his head at the frog. “You’re a horrible liar, Boss.”

Kermit started to say something and then thought about it, instead saying, “The pig’s much better at it than I.”

The sounds of the piano from the living room caught Amanda’s attention, causing her to turn back towards the way they came. “Is that Rowlf playing?” she asked.

“Probably,” Kermit replied. “That was one of the reasons I decided to bring the old thing over here.” At the Whatnot’s questioning look, he explained. “That’s the original piano from when we first opened the theatre. Rowlf had been looking and playing on some newer pianos, so I ended up taking that one.”

“It is his favorite piano,” Scooter mentioned, following his girlfriend as she began to head out towards the living room.

The scene that greeted the trio was, for at least the frog and stage manager, a normal sight whenever one got enough Muppets together around a musical instrument. Rowlf sat at the piano, playing something that seemed fast and loose, while his ‘audience’ laughed and sang out what Amanda could only think was something the group had just made up while sitting there.

Both Kermit and Scooter winced when both Fozzie and Gonzo tried hitting some ridiculous high note; both of course hit two completely different notes, giving the piece an ending worthy of Aaron Copeland. Scooter couldn’t help but look over in surprise when he heard clapping and literally did a double take when he realized that the clapping was coming from Amanda.

“That was just as good as Copeland,” the Whatnot chuckled.

“Ah!” Fozzie preened. “Thank you!”

“It’s so hard to find purveyors of good atonal music these days,” Gonzo added.

“Or any day,” Rowlf muttered. Though the consummate musician and lover of the arts, the brown had never liked nor understood the basic concepts of just throwing notes together that didn’t mesh.

“You’re just in time, Doll,” Rizzo replied, patting the area on the couch that was next to him. “The bear’s gonna tell us some jokes and the pig’s gonna sing us song. What better way to end a dinner, am I right?”

“When you’re right, you’re right,” Amanda said, taking a seat next to the rat. She looked expectantly at Scooter, who smiled and sat down next to her in happy compliance.

“Awesome!” crowed Gonzo. “We have our first victim…er…audience member! I meant to say audience member.”

“Alright, alright,” Kermit began. “That’s do one little sketch and that’s it, okay? Just one.”

Nearly five musical bits later, Amanda didn’t think she had laughed or enjoyed herself as much as she had that night. Certainly seeing a live performance of the Muppet Show from backstage was nothing compared to watching what was literally a dry run of the upcoming performances for the show. Fozzie worked on his materials, deflecting various quips that were coming from the so named peanut gallery; Rowlf played pianist and backup singer to Miss Piggy, while Gonzo and Rizzo kept coming up with more and more outrageous addons to acts that Kermit was determined would never see the light of day.

The redheaded Whatnot couldn’t be certain what the actual highlight of the evening was – Fozzie holding his own against the comedic onslaught, Rowlf and Piggy’s unscripted duet, or the arrival of Kermit’s valet, the 80’s robot.

It wasn’t the robot that was comical – though the fact that it was a robot who was clearly a throwback to the 1980s – it was more Scooter’s reaction to the robot; only seconds after the squat little thing came rolling into the living room, asking if anyone wanted anything, Scooter coldly replied, “No one wants you. Go away.” That of course started Kermit’s admonishment that Scooter leave the bot alone, to Piggy’s declaration that, “Kermit still loves you, dearheart.”

Truthfully, Amanda thought it was just another endearing aspect to what made up the whole package of Scooter Grosse.

[hr]

Mercifully, the night was coming to a close, and Scooter was internally jumping for joy when Amanda signaled that she had had quite enough of these shenanigans for one night. He may have been a little too transparent, because it seemed like everyone could tell that the young stage manager felt like a caged animal wanting to escape.

“I had a wonderful evening,” Amanda gushed, as Kermit and Piggy – ever the charming hosts – showed the couple to the door.

“Well, we’ll definitely have to do it again,” Kermit was saying, causing Scooter to look at him in horror. Another night like this one? The go-fer wasn’t even sure if he had managed to keep Amanda his girlfriend after this. What was the frog playing at?

Kermit, who had indeed saw the look out of the corner of his eye, none the less decided to defer to Piggy on this; the Muppet director was well aware that his personal assistant was maybe jumping the gun a little on this, but he could understand the trepidation. Managing a personal life with a professional was hard; he let his eyes wander to Piggy. Yeah, definitely difficult.

“Bye Amanda!”

“Great seeing you again, kid!”

“Take it easy.”

“Don’t take any wooden nickels!”

“Coming to the show tomorrow?” asked Kermit.

“A little bird told me I would have3 tickets waiting for me,” the Whatnot replied, sending a look to Scooter.

“The ticket fairy can be very generous.”

“And the ticket fairy will need to leave now,” Scooter grumbled. “That is if you want a kind and gentler coffee fairy for tomorrow.”

“You two be good,” Piggy said.

“Don’t do anything I would do!” Gonzo shouted from the back.

“I can almost guarantee you we probably won’t,” Amanda quipped, heading out the door with Scooter behind her. “Goodnight everyone!”

And with that, an evening with the Muppets closed.

No, this is not the end. One more chap and an epilogue and this fic will be in the can.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yay. Now thas how you end a night, with a good rousing Muppet performance.
*<3 the tour through the gallery hall, that was a nice part of the movie, even if it was during Sad Kermit's expression of angst at the pictures in his head.
And Amanda's still Scooter's GF. See, nothing to worry about.
*Knows Piggy's plooting and planning and will definitely have the gofer and his billiards babe to do the whole dinner party thing again.

Thank you, post more when possible. :smile:

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
I've been meaning to comment on this story... anyway, it's great! And
I loved this chapter. I laughed out loud when Gonzo told them not to do anything that he would do. :smile:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I've been meaning to comment on this story... anyway, it's great! And
I loved this chapter. I laughed out loud when Gonzo told them not to do anything that he would do. :smile:
I couldn'r agree more, WeirdoGirl. More story please!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Hi-ya folks and happy pre-4th to those taking the weekend to celebrate. Well, here it is - the last chapter and epilogue of 7 Ball! Enough talk, let's get to it!

Chapter VIII

Once the door had closed, the discussion started.

“Do you think we made things difficult?”

As one, both Kermit and Piggy turned from the door and joined the others to look at Fozzie. “I hardly think we’ve made things difficult,” Gonzo replied, though he was a bit uneasy at saying it.

They of course ignored the way Piggy smirked, but they all knew – their association with each other could be kryptonite to their relationships.

“Hey,” Rizzo spoke up. “Let’s not get all in the dumps about this.”

“Rizzo’s right,” Rowlf replied. “I mean, she looked like she was having a good time.”

“So have the others,” Fozzie said, grabbing his hat and worrying it in his hands. “Remember that one girl who was in theater arts? She was an aspiring actress…”

“She wasn’t that good,” muttered Piggy.

“In any event,” Rowlf interrupted. “We’re really sorry about barging in tonight.”

“It was my fault,” Fozzie began. “If I hadn’t been so excited…”

“Fozzie,” Kermit started. “You can’t blame yourself. Guys, listen, it was just a coincidence; we’re used to having you guys around.”

“Kermit’s right,” Piggy said, heading towards the kitchen. “Amanda has endured backstage at Muppet Theatre, endured the cast of the Muppet Show, has hosted the lot of us at her own business establishment, and yet continues to come back. I’d say she seems to be perfectly content.”

As the diva made her final steps to the kitchen, Kermit called out, “You’ve been dealing with that and more and you’re still coming back.”

Turning, Piggy replied, “Yes I know.” She then held up her left hand, stating, “And I’m even doing it without any reward.”

The Muppet director managed to contain the gulp that wanted to climb down his throat; he did manage the angry scowl that he directed towards the others when he heard the snickers.

“Sorry, Kermit.”

[hr]

On the other side of the door, on the way to the other side of the city, Scooter had kept quiet in fear of saying something that would launch a barrage of heated words directed towards him and his friends.

So concentrated on driving and his own inner worries, he hadn’t heard Amanda state what a wonderful time she had and that she wondered if all their dinner parties were that way. Seeing and feeling the tension that was coming off her boyfriend, Amanda stopped mid-sentence.

It seemed clear that Scooter had not enjoyed himself tonight and the Whatnot could not for the life of her understand why. Was it something she had said? She had done? Hadn’t done? She had originally thought he was worried about her reaction to them, but perhaps he worried about their reaction to her. Maybe she had been reading the situation wrong – she had though they liked her, but maybe they didn’t.

Perhaps this ‘coincidential’ dropping by was actually an act, a deliberate one.

Needless to say, the ride back to her apartment was a silent one. Once they arrived at her front door, she watched and waited as Scooter got out the driver’s side and then came over to the passenger side and opened her door. Solmnly, the redhead left her seat and got out of the car and found herself face to face with the driver.

“I’m sorry.”

They said at the same time and were completely confused as why the other was offering an apology. “I’m sorry about tonight,” Scooter repeated. “I had no idea that anyone else would be coming by; I mean, I probably should have expected it, but…”

“I’m sorry your friends don’t like me.”

“What?”

“What?”

“What did you say?”

“I said…” Amanda began, but then stopped. “Isn’t…isn’t that why you didn’t enjoy yourself tonight? I thought…I thought it was something I did or said…”

“What!?” Scooter exclaimed, surprising himself by the loudness. Looking around, he took the girl by the hand and lead her to her door. “Why would you think that no one liked you?” he asked. “From what I saw, everyone just adores you!”

“Then why are you so unhappy about tonight?”

“Because I’m sorry that you don’t like them!” he cried. Taking both her hands in his, he whispered, “I don’t know if I could choose between the two of you. I don’t think I could.”

“Is that what you think?” she whispered. “That I would make you choose?” The sudden realization at what the problem had been with the red-haired Muppet all night long did cause her to laugh slightly. “Scooter,” she breathed. Placing a hand on his cheek, she turned his head so he would look at her.

“My darling Scooter,” she said. “I have never and would never make a guy choose me over his family.”

Scooter wasn’t sure if it was what she said, how she said it, or the way she looked at him when she spoke it, but it simultaneously enraptured him and delighted him all at once.

He had no other choice but to kiss her.

Was there a better way to end a night? Amanda couldn’t think of one, even as she settled comfortably in the arms of her beau. When their kiss ended, they stared dreamily at each other. “Do they really like me?” she asked.

“Told you,” he whispered back. “They adore you.”

“What about you?”

“What about me?”

“Do you adore me, too?”

Moving closer, Scooter whispered, “I think I’m way past adore at this point.”

And then he kissed her.

Epilogue

Piggy was doing her normal bedtime routine when Kermit leaned against the door jamb. “Well?”

“Well what?”

Entering the room without so much as an invitation, Kermit continued with, “Did she pass with your approval?”

“If you’re talking about Amanda,” Piggy replied. “Then to answer your question, of course she passed. With flying colors, if you’re so interested; I’ve liked her from the beginning.”

“So then why do you plan on torturing Scooter with the notion of having lunch with her, Janice, and Camilla?”

“Can't four lovely women not have lunch in the great city of Hollywood?” Piggy countered, turning to look at him. “I am but one voice in the sea of many, my love.”

Kermit took a seat on the edge of the bed, a confused look on his face. “So you don’t think Janice and Camilla like her?” he asked. The very question sounded odd to him; Janice liked everyone and Camilla usually liked those she deemed trustworthy.

“I never said that,” the pig replied, standing and going over to the wardrobe. She was being featured in a few of the acts tomorrow and she wanted to make sure she everything she needed to be her wonderful, awesome self.

“And really, Kermit,” she admonished, turning back to him. “You’re one to talk.”

“Excuse me?”

“Oh you heard me, Frog,” she said. “Don’t act as though you’re above all of our protectiveness. I remember one summer when you heard that Robin had a girlfriend and what did you do?”

“It just happened to be around the time I was set to go back there anyway,” he insisted.

“Oh sure,” Piggy said. “I’m sure that also included the phone call that I received in which you proceeded to complain that the girl wasn’t good enough for him.”

“There were some things about her that…”

“And then there was that time when Gonzo and Camilla were on the outs,” the diva continued. “Do you remember that? When that rooster she was seeing decided to audition? You called him, and I quote, ‘an untalented hack who couldn’t peck his way out of a paper bag’.”

“I also seem to remember that you had a lot more choice words than I did,” Kermit mumbled.

“Admit it, Kermit,” she stated, matter of factly. “There have been more times than maybe you want to admit that relationships have made your blood boil. And if anyone knows when to make your blood boil, it’s me.”

“In more ways than one,” the frog smirked. When she was right… “Alright,” he conceded. “It’s no secret that we tend to protect our own.”

“And what about you, Monsieur Frog?”

“What about me?”

“What do you think about Amanda?”

“I like her,” he answered, honestly. “She’s outgoing, obviously smart, and can obviously handle anything we could possibly throw at her; though I’d like to limit that as much as possible.”

“Well there you go.” Standing, Piggy placed a hand on Kermit’s shoulder, only to steer him towards the door. “Now it’s been a very long night and Moi needs her beauty sleep and you need to get to bed.”

“What’s wrong with the one that’s in here?” he complained.

“Weren’t you the one that said he couldn’t behave himself when around me?”

“I’m sure I didn’t say it like that.”

Spinning around quickly, Kermit faced her stopping the momentum that would have had her run straight into him. “You mentioned that it’s late,” he whispered. “And my room is so very far away; I’m not sure I could even reach it with how tired I am.

“I could sleep on one side and you wouldn’t even know I was there,” he continued. “I promise to behave.”

Whether it was the look he was giving her or that they had been walking on egg shells around each other for months while living together, but whatever it was, Kermit the Frog was an appealing guy at the moment.

Grabbing him by the scruff of his neck, she kissed him.

If Kermit was stunned or shocked, he didn’t show it. And really, why should he? He’d been getting kisses like these for quite some time from her, the only difference was that there had been a long distance of space between now and then.

“I thought you wanted me to behave,” he whispered.

“I never said anything about me behaving,” she said, kissing him again.

Kermit chuckled. “Oh, you’re good.”

“I haven’t even started yet.”

And that's the end of that. Sorry so short; the beginning was actually supposed to be longer, with a continued conversation in the kitchen, bu sadly I forgot how that conversation was supposed to go.

No worries though, this is hardly the end! next up - 6 Ball Merengue! What happens when Fozzie's Angels take Little Miss Whatnot out for lunch? Why hilarity, what else? That's next on the Pool Hall series.

And don't think the Monday series is done - there's a third, Monday Post Production and maybe some other stuff. What do you guys want to see next? I'll put it to a vote -

#1. Monday Post Production
#2. Grosse Point Blank
#3. (Miss Piggy's) Muppet Adventures
#4. Hostile Takeover

Just pick the number you think looks good and that's what I'll start on after 6 Ball! Thanks for reading!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Change of plans, kids. I was sitting here at work today when I got the best idea ever!

Deciding that I had given you two stories in two different series, I'm going in another direction. I've decided to do Scooter's story, with Grosse Point Blank, BUT...I've also decided to make this a bit of fun with some audience participation.

Stay tuned for more info!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
*clap clap clap*

Sweet! I laughed hard at the "atonal music" quip by Gonzo. Love the additions you made to Kermit's peanu--er, portrait gallery. The progression of relationships between Scooter and Amanda, and the frog & pig, seems well-paced and reasoned out. Good job.

Hey, write whatever you wanna. I'll read it. :smile:
---------------