Should I Watch "Kermit's Swamp Years?"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Byron-

Well, I agree with you on the cheapquils. I also won't watch anymore Muppet Babies cartoons. I've plenty of episodes, but never liked it, so I kind of understand. But I gave it a chance. You can't say ya don't like something unless you try it. Mama Frogboy taught me that. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
It's so funny to see how much flack and disrespect I got in September(noone else seemed to get rediculed for saying the exact things) for dissing KSY for not having even seen it...now it seems like Im the only one who urges people to see it, at least for the dvd behind the scenes.

And Jamie, how could you not like Muppet Babies? It was a celebration of imagination, exploring, and wonder...

my how I hope the innocence and wonder of the 80's I felt returns soon.

*who can still be a jaded cynic an hour and a half til 2003* ^_^

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
And Jamie, how could you not like Muppet Babies? It was a celebration of imagination, exploring, and wonder...
The Muppet Babies was a celebration of cheap animation and annoying voice casting. The blue screening technique wore thin after the first season. There was nothing much more to the show. No growth. I still see it as an embarrassment and a terrible, terrible show. Had to say it twice for emphasis. I see I have to say it once again, I like QUALITY in animation. I don't like cheap garbage. There was much inconsistency in the characters' form, movement and color. The cheapest of the cheap. The Muppets deserved much better. :frown:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
The Muppet Babies was a celebration of cheap animation and annoying voice casting. The blue screening technique wore thin after the first season. There was nothing much more to the show. No growth. I still see it as an embarrassment and a terrible, terrible show. Had to say it twice for emphasis. I see I have to say it once again, I like QUALITY in animation. I don't like cheap garbage. There was much inconsistency in the characters' form, movement and color. The cheapest of the cheap. The Muppets deserved much better. :frown:
I remember when I was six, already very very into the Muppets/Sesame already...and then one saturday morning CBS debuted the Muppet Babies...and I'll tell you, OMG I was blown away!!! While I was mostly into big robot Japanese cartoons(like Transformers or Orgus) all the sudden there was this cartoon that blew me away...with its themes of creating your own word, exploring, and using your imagination. To this day I am in complete awe of that show. I wish I had some episodes on tape, as when I had nick they used to show em daily. Now I did get out of that show by the late 80's...as yeah, it did run its course after the first few seasons...but man, I cannot say enough good words about Muppet Babies. You know my really ornate out there existential 3am humor I use? Well remember when Gonzo would have those dream sequences of like giant hands, portals, and flying music notes? Also, I loved how they could turn just a few plants into a whole jungle.

The thing is that exploration of imagination is one of the biggest things that I loved about the Muppets growing up. I think thats why, to a lesser extent I like Rugrats and Little Bear, as it has similair themes of Muppet Babies.

Now there is argument about Muppet Babies ruining/conflicting with Muppet continuity. Even when I was six I knew Muppet Babies was a whollllllle other enchilada, on its own and had nothing to do with the Muppets.

Anyways, I am beyond grateful for the Muppet Babies...and I hope everyone can go back and reclaim that sense of wonder, imagination, exploration, and innocence.

*gah, its almost 3am and Im defending a mid 80's cartoon...
man I need a life:wink: *

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Still no excuse for crummy animation. Why do people let animation slide so much? The Muppet Babies is cheap 6-frame animation that is hastily drawn. If it were poor puppetry you'd be whistling a different tune. Cheap, cheap, cheap! They might as well have pasted the characters on popsicle sticks and moved them around. Imagination - heck yeah! You have to imagine that it isn't such terrible animation. LOL! The story could be about anything, but the production quality could only appeal to those with low standards IMHO. Precisely why I dislike anime/japanamation. If it's not 12 frames + then I usually don't want to see it. And the Muppet Babies voices were like fingernails on a chalk board. I enjoyed the novelty of the first season, but it wore off quickly and I couldn't stand what a low-rent/shoe-string production it was. I wish they would have done it with the puppets.

Just my opinion on the subject. The writing was the only passable thing about that show. The theme song was catchy too.

Gonzo

Reaction score
For the record,

I'll probably end up seeing KSY. Eventually.

And I liked the first few years of Muppet Babies. I think it did more good than harm in terms of character recognition and revival among Generation Y, and only animation buffs tend to notice things like 6-frame vs. 12-frame quality...especially when you're talking mid-80's Saturday morning cartoons.

Quinnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score

Just my opinion on the subject. The writing was the only passable thing about that show. The theme song was catchy too.
Hmmm, perhaps we had different visions/growings up in the 80's. Then again your a little older than me...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No, you just don't mind crummy animation. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
No, you just don't mind crummy animation. :wink:
Sad and unfortunate, clouded, become you have.

So did you have any sense of wonder an dimagination growing up? AS I Cannot think of a kid's show cartoon in the 80's that held up such basic principles as yearning, aspiring, creating, inspiration, wonder, etc.

"Oh, but the animation sucked! OMG! IT was only 8 by 6 frames instead of the full 9 x7 ...blah blah blah blah blah"

...oh well. As Kermit says, there is the lover and the dreamers.

Then there is the Statler and Waldorf.

I dared to dream. Hasnt gotten me anywhere...
but I look back to how things were, and I am very glad I Was raised in that magical time.