Should I Watch "Kermit's Swamp Years?"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I enjoy quality over nostalgia. The Muppet Babies was not a quality production. Good ideas and writing, but the execution stunk. The plain simple fact is it was low-grade animation. Nostalgia can't change the fact that an episode of Rubik the Amazing Cube had the same poor quality. That has nothing to do with my lack of imagination. The drawing was also rather atrocious at times - and the squeaky voices grated on my nerves.

I love the 80s too, but I don’t blindly like anything. It seems that everything is an absolute with you. I mentioned what I thought were good points in the show (music and writing). But they could have achieved smoother animation had they pasted the characters on Popsicle sticks and moved them around. Just terrible. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they have a lack of imagination.:rolleyes:

beaker

Reaction score
Well gee, if were gonna play revisionist hisorian and reflecting back with mid 20 eyes...

The Muppet Show looks dated, and seems marred in the 70's vaudeville broadway fodder that would rightfully be shunned today.

See, I could say that, but that would be missing the point. Holy colonel Sanders Muppet Babies didnt have exactly cutting edge animation...but it was creative as all get out. A combination of various media and different forms of animation mixed together gave it(to me at least) an interesting aestetic.

To deny the Muppet Babies is to deny all that was right with the 80's. I see absolutes because in this uncertain world we need absolutes. As clear as the day I first saw it, I feel without question Muppet Babies is one of the greatest cartoons ever...to harp on animation qualities would truly be missing the point.

Heck, you wanna talk about horrific animation? Look no further than Spongebob and most the original programming animation on Cartoon Network.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Spongebob has fluid animation, consistency of character shape and good artists working on it. Funny writers too, but we've already had that discussion.

The point is - they could have done better at the time that Muppet Babies was made, but went the cheap rout. Any animator will cite the animation as low-grade. I didn't like the show with children's eyes either. I like quality animation.

Making a slight at the Muppet show has nothing to do with anything. They were cutting edge; the MB cartoon was dated from the beginning. It has nothing to do with denying the 80s. Honestly, how melodramatic. :rolleyes:

Gonzo

Reaction score
I despise many things 80's, but love the Muppets and Muppet Babies.

But 80's music?
80's movies?
80's television?
80's hair?
80's fashion?
80's art?
80's politics?
80's economics?
80's literature?

I dislike all of the above.

With a few exceptions.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I love 80s music and 80s movies. Some of my all-time faves. It didn't all have to be about whining (like the 90s+). It was about having fun. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
I despise many things 80's, but love the Muppets and Muppet Babies.

But 80's music?
80's movies?
80's television?
80's hair?
80's fashion?
80's art?
80's politics?
80's economics?
80's literature?

I dislike all of the above.

um...

80's music: depeche mode, the cure, duran duran, pet shop boys, erasure, weird al, peter gabriel, the smiths, the sisters of mercy,
the pixies, xtc, the the, U2, REM, etc etc etc

80's movies: never ending story, dark crystal, labyrinth, return of the jedi, goonies, willow, empire strikes back, muppets take manhattan, back to the future 1 & 2, tron, blade runner, batman, beetlejuice, ghost busters 1&2, star trek 4, breakfast club, etc

80's television: Jim Henson Hour, Fraggle Rock, ALF, Perfect Strangers, Star Trek TNG, Transformers, etc.

80's hair: you got a point

80's fashion: ditto...though I did like skinny ties. But teased hair, fanny packs, meshed sports shirts with a last name on the back, rolled up big shouldered blazers, leg warmers, jogger sweat pants, etc., ughhhh.

Ok you may have a point for most these. Literature, well William gibson's revolutionary 'Neuromancer'(which pretty much invented all the cyberpunk virtual reality stuff we see in movies)
and Crighton's Jurassic Park came out.

But when it comes to movies, video games, and other stuff...there is no denying the almight glory of the 80's.

Btw, I agree Jamie...the 90's became just one big unfun bowl of politically correct cynicism and youth angst.

Heres hoping soon the zeroes shape up to be better.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
...most of what Cory said. :smile: (Not a big Transformer's fan, but that's all. I think we can agree that GoBots totally sucked! LOL!)

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
...most of what Cory said. :smile: (Not a big Transformer's fan, but that's all. I think we can agree that GoBots totally sucked! LOL!)
OMG...it's a festivus miracle, we agree! Though why'd ya have to go and mention Gobots? Man, and I was starting to have a good day :wink:

Gonzo

Reaction score
I did say there are exceptions. But I'm not a fan by any means. Here are the ones you mentioned that I still enjoy:

Originally posted by beaker
um...

80's music: depeche mode, pet shop boys, erasure, U2, REM

80's movies: dark crystal, labyrinth, return of the jedi, empire strikes back, muppets take manhattan, back to the future batman, ghost busters

80's television: Jim Henson Hour, Fraggle Rock, Star Trek TNG, Transformers

That's about it. I don't think it was the heyday of music and assorted entertainment you make it out to be. Then again, it was 1997 before I owned an album that came out after 1972, so I'm not the best judge of the 80's. I was barely involved, even though I was alive for all of them.

We have different opinions, different tastes. That's okay.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn