Show That Have Overstayed Their Welcome

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I love it too! It's like my current favorite cartoon on the air!
Loooove
the comedy!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Foster's is pretty cute but sometimes I find it's a little hard on the ears because all the characters are so hyper. The animation is well done, though, and the character design is great.

karamazov80

Reaction score
I usually only watch shows that do not appeal to the masses, and are thus canceled before being able to wear out their welcome, for instance:

Arrested Development
Firefly
Deadwood
Veronica Mars

Maybe its for the best. . .otherwise these shows might become like the Simpsons. Regarding the cartoon network, I was thinking today that I used to watch it all the time, but I barely flip through there anymore myself. The only show I really watch there is on Adult Swim: the Venture Brothers, which is brilliant, BTW, and actually, I wait until DVD for that. A lot of the other good shows have either gotten stale or been canceled, as you guys say.

On a related topic, I think that a bit of variety on Boomerang would justify my subscribing to that "tier" of channels, but its pretty crummy, too. It has some good shows, but given their library of classic cartoons, it should branch out a bit more, IMO.

AngryEwok

Reaction score
I'd say that the Simpsons is the best example of a current running show that started off great but has gone on far too long. As of late, the writers are trying desperately to copy the format of Family Guy... and it's not working, at all.

Maybe this movie will revitalize the show, or maybe it will further illustrate how tired the creative team has become?

I'd say just about every show on VH1 and MTV has overstayed it's welcome since the debut episode, as well. Nothing but garbage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say that the Simpsons is the best example of a current running show that started off great but has gone on far too long. As of late, the writers are trying desperately to copy the format of Family Guy... and it's not working, at all.
Which I think is funny, since everyone claims it's a knock off of the Simpsons. I kinda noticed that when they had Homer do that "Fonz hitting the jukebox" gag, and wound up injuring himself. Peter did that.

One difference between Family Guy is that when they add random characters who appeared once as a joke to just give their tired old catchphrases and stereotypes, it actually WORKS. And they get to the point when a character is too tired, they KILL them (I.e. the Vaudeville guys were viciously gunned down by Stewie... wish Bart would do that to Cletus and the "You'rrrrrrre Firrrrrrrred" guy).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score

Maybe this movie will revitalize the show, or maybe it will further illustrate how tired the creative team has become?
Aww, I was so going to say that! You big meanie! You posted that first :stick_out_tongue:

But seriously, I noticed that too. And that is exactly why I am a little concerned about the movie.

AngryEwok

Reaction score
One difference between Family Guy is that when they add random characters who appeared once as a joke to just give their tired old catchphrases and stereotypes, it actually WORKS.
Exactly. Half of every Family Guy episode is based on a random occurance, followed by the lines, "[...] this reminds me of the time that I [...]" followed by a flashback usually containing something equally random and nostalgiac.

The Simpsons never did that sort of thing, so this last season or two has been very out of character and hard for me to enjoy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. Half of every Family Guy episode is based on a random occurance, followed by the lines, "[...] this reminds me of the time that I [...]" followed by a flashback usually containing something equally random and nostalgiac.

The Simpsons never did that sort of thing, so this last season or two has been very out of character and hard for me to enjoy.
The Simpsons did watch TV and comment on it from time to time, and random characters did pop up, but it was in a different fashion...

I LOVE that in family guy, no matter what anyone says (even in the pilots, including the Life with Larry version they had those, especially one where Peter laughs at Tom Hanks in Philadelphia). I feel they do it almsot too much, but they are more fun to write than an actual plot moving device. And it helps them get out of corners writers paint themselves into.

karamazov80

Reaction score

The random thought has been a major personality characteristic of Homer for as far back as I can remember. However, you are right in that the whole show was never devoted to that like it is on Family Guy, a show which to me isn't nearly as clever as it wants to be.