Snuffy and Big Bird

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I hope this won't bore you all to tears (feel free to delete this post whoever is moderating this board) but there is something strange I just have to get off my chest.

There was a girl I have not seen for quite a long while, although I did get e-mails from her until recently. The strange part is, this girl - her name is Kylie - was born in 1971, one year before me, and when I last saw her, it was 1984, which was the year before Snuffy stopped being hidden from everyone except Big Bird. So what, you ask? Well, Kylie had one of those personnalized books and this one was about Sesame Street, and really depended on the "imagneary friend" line. So I always think of Kylie when I think of the Street.(Because her name was in the book.) I don't know what she thinks of Elmo. Maybe she doesn't care. Maybe she outgrew the show, like my brother Paul.

Censored

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
BTW, it wasn't just Big Bird who could see Snuffy. The children on the show could too. Whole thing has a remarkable similarity to the Great Gazoo on later episodes of The Flintstones; the kids can see him because they "understand" him, while Fred and Barney see him because they found him.

Could the Muppets see Snuffy? Back when I watched there were rarely scenes where that would have been an issue. I do remember Grover telling Big Bird that Snuffy was just imaginary. But a few shows later, when a street theme was that Grover had the hiccups, Big Bird showed Snuffy to Grover, "surprising" him so much that he was cured!
Well, there was no contradiction in Grover's hiccup skit. Grover thought that Snuffy was just Big Bird in costume since Big was putting on several disguises to shock Grover out of his hiccups. It ended with Big Bird gloomily saying, "Even when they see him, they don't believe him." However, there was at least one skit in the 70's when Bert bumped into Snuffy and acted like he had always known him (A glitch in the writing, maybe?) And on the 70's album "Havin' Fun With Ernie and Bert", we can hear Snuffy's voice at a party with the rest of the muppets.

It should also be noted that Snuffy was never "invisible" or "unable to be seen" by the adults. It was just that they always missed him by never turning around or being in the right place at the right time.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Mentioned this somewhere else but I thought I'd mention it for those who didn't see it the first time. Can't remeber what was spoken but here's how it goes.

From the mid 70's. Luis has a scale which he probably already fixed. Big bord's already there, Luis goes back in the shop and then Snuffy comes along. sees the scale and want to try it out.

Well naturally it breaks,and of course Snuffy wals away leaving BB to fend for himself.

Finally Luis comes back out, sees the broken scale, says. ''Big Bird you broke it!'' And it's not like BB can say Snuffy broke it though he probably did say it was him.

Yeah right.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I remember about a year or so before the adults met Snuffy, Bob and Linda went to the movies and Big Bird went with them. He asked if his friend could go, and Bob said something to the effect that they didn't have time to hear about his imaginary friend or they were gonna be late for the movie. They thought Big Bird was just making up that his "imaginary" friend was there with them. Big Bird kept telling them if they just turn around real quick they could finally meet him, but Bob kept saying "Shhhhh, Big Bird we don't wanna turn around, we don't wanna miss ANY of the movie" Snuffy ended up leaving before the movie was over, because he had to be home for lunch or something, so they never got to see him. I was happy when the adults finally got to meet Snuffy, I was 4 years old when that happened, so I didn't get to know him as the imaginary friend for too long, but long enough to know it was a big change.

sesameguy

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
I remember about a year or so before the adults met Snuffy, Bob and Linda went to the movies and Big Bird went with them.
There is an episode of "Unpaved" (2040) that is very similar to the scene you describe, only it involves Bob and David rather than Bob and Linda. Is it possible that this is the one you recall?

=================================================

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Yes, sorry. I forgot it was Bob and David. If it was 2040, then it was definetley around the time I saw it, which would have been 1984 or 1985. When I was 3 or 4 years old.