So Have We Seen the End of 2-D Animation?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I went to see Happy Feet Friday, and noticed during the twenty minutes of previews and TV commercials (why are movie theaters showing TV commercials now anyway?) a few upcoming animated movies that all have one thing in common: they're 3-D. It seems like the last somewhat 2-D animated movie was Curious George, and I don't even remember the one before that. Other than animated TV series, have we seen the last of theatrical 2-D animation as we know it?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
No I dont think it is over, first off, Pixar is a big supporter for 2D animation, and supposedly they are in the works of creating a 2D film. Also, the Simpsons Movie is also 2d, as well as some foreign films coming to the US are also hand drawn, I dont think its dead, I dont think we will ever see the true end.

King Jim

Reaction score
2D is awsome I don't know why some people want to get rid of it.

MWoO

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
No I dont think it is over, first off, Pixar is a big supporter for 2D animation, and supposedly they are in the works of creating a 2D film. Also, the Simpsons Movie is also 2d, as well as some foreign films coming to the US are also hand drawn, I dont think its dead, I dont think we will ever see the true end.
Well I think theo nly reason the simpsons movie is 2d is because if they tried to make it 3d people owuldh ave a fit. Even 2d shows and movies will use 3d cell shading to do certain things.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
And besides the Simpsons movie trailer is making a big deal about it being 2D, almost like it's making a statement by being 2D. I don't think 2D'll still be around in years to come, I give it a few more years.

messyplace

Reaction score
it'll always be around. It'll just possibly be rare. People always go back to the roots in films though. It'd be like thinking just because colour was invented people would stop making films in black and white....

All these new ones are pretty poor anyway...compared to the likes of Toy Story and Shrek...eventually people will come back to 2d.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No... for one simple fact. We're being over saturated with the stuff right now so once people start getting sick of them, then we'll see either less of these films made or more 2-D films in the mix.

Problem is one simple thing, SCRIPT! We have poor writing and the "Shark Tales" effect, which is filling up a poorly written script by shoving in as many A-list expensive celebs as possible. Seriously! Did ANYONE bother to see Everyone's Hero or Hoodwinked?

But the problem also stems from the fact that other companies don't know much about making animated features, or marketing them as well as Disney did. There were some really crappy third party films like "Thumblina", which I only saw for the Animaniacs short. Thye flopped. Unfortunately, Iron Giant is known as one of the most underrated films of all time.

Disney started making crap films like "Treasure Planet" and then they strarted to do poorly, and they made poor CGI films without Pixar (though Chicken little is surprisingly enjoyable). Then, The Wild did poorly, so I guess they realised no matter what the medium, the project has to be good to start with.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I dont think it would be dead the reason being is because I believe that even if we dont have any more productions in 2D made, dvd's will still be sold with 2D content, such as Walt Disney Treasures, or Looney Tunes Golden Collection, but if they stop selling dvd's or television airings of 2D cartoons, then, we're doomed.

I wanna become a 2D animator, but I might switch to puppetry, I am currently working on a webshow with puppets (but thats in the works more about that later.) But yea, its kind of hard to say, like I said, John Lasseter is trying to bring back 2D animation to pixar, we'll see if that actually happens.

Drtooth

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I went to see Happy Feet Friday, and noticed during the twenty minutes of previews and TV commercials (why are movie theaters showing TV commercials now anyway?) a few upcoming animated movies that all have one thing in common: they're 3-D.
Which ones? Did they have any previews of the New Ninja Turtles film? Cuz I'll go see it just for that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Which ones? Did they have any previews of the New Ninja Turtles film? Cuz I'll go see it just for that.
No, I don't even remember what the previews were about: one was for like about an orphan boy who travels to the future (space age) to find a family.