So is Tina Fey Trying to Ditch Her Glasses?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been noticing that Tina has been increasingly missing her glasses as of late when not in-character for something, which begs the question... is she trying to ditch her specs?

If so, I have to take issue with that... after all, it took a while for glasses to become socially acceptable (luckily, I was able to grow up during that time, because I never had to put up with the whole "four eyes" harassment), and as a glasses wearer myself, I kind of see this as someone in the same league trying to lose a key part of who they are.

I can forgive Drew Carey, although he did have surgery to correct his vision, he kept his glasses since they were just as big a part of him as his big belly.

I mean come on, specs are cool, not to mention the common misconception that glasses automatically indicate that you're an intellectual, even if you're not really that bright *cough*Jeanette*cough*.

Or am I just thinking too deeply into this? Should I just forget about it, fall down, and go to sleep?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I support whatever best fits the role she's playing. There's no need for her to be her own avatar. She can ditch the specs from time to time.

I've had contact lenses since age 10, three months after I got glasses. I have terrible eyesight without my corrective prescription. I usually wear the contacts due to my spaziness in glasses, but I'll wear those too sometimes.

People are more than just one thing. We have layers and depth beyond surface artifice. While we shouldn't forsake the things that endear us to those who like us, we shouldn't feel beholden to them either.

Just my two cents. However, I do prefer Fey best in glasses.

Luke

Reaction score
If so, I have to take issue with that... after all, it took a while for glasses to become socially acceptable (luckily, I was able to grow up during that time, because I never had to put up with the whole "four eyes" harassment), and as a glasses wearer myself, I kind of see this as someone in the same league trying to lose a key part of who they are.
I think its her own personal choice and not really the concern of fans, but, you do bring up some very interesting points about why she may be trying to do it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I I usually wear the contacts due to my spaziness in glasses, but I'll wear those too sometimes.
How do you mean your spaziness in glasses? I'm kind of curious about that, that sounds like an interesting neurosis.
but, you do bring up some very interesting points about why she may be trying to do it.
I think so... it's like half of the time, people like her work their ways up, becoming who they are today, then once they do, they kind of "regret" it, in a way, then work to try and distance themselves from who they are, or who they've become.
Or am I just thinking too deeply into this? Should I just forget about it, fall down, and go to sleep?
Yes, gee whiz, just forget about it, shut up, fall down, and go to sleep.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
How do you mean your spaziness in glasses? I'm kind of curious about that, that sounds like an interesting neurosis.
I think so... it's like half of the time, people like her work their ways up, becoming who they are today, then once they do, they kind of "regret" it, in a way, then work to try and distance themselves from who they are, or who they've become.
Yes, gee whiz, just forget about it, shut up, fall down, and go to sleep.
It's not so much a neurosis as a physicality. I'm clumsy in glasses. I feel that no matter how refined my specs, they create a veneer that removes me from the world I see therefore I'm spazy. They'll always be a little more cumbersome than contact lenses because it's an extra thing on my face that it doesn't really need. My contacts hug snugly to my peepers in a far more ergonomic way. And, of course, I do have a great friend who is also an eye doctor so these lenses are free to me! However, I have been told glasses work for me aesthetically. They're just not very practical. I'm active, bouncy and animated and that has to be toned down so my specs don't fly off my face. :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would like to use contacts but I'm one of those people who finds it nearly impossible to get them in. I have managed it in the past but it took like a half an hour everytime! I think it's just a mental thing, the idea of touching the eye and all. :insatiable:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would like to use contacts but I'm one of those people who finds it nearly impossible to get them in. I have managed it in the past but it took like a half an hour everytime! I think it's just a mental thing, the idea of touching the eye and all. :insatiable:
That's pretty much why I wouldn't want to wear contacts.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's pretty much why I wouldn't want to wear contacts.
I think glasses can definitely add to character and all. I'm just sick of having to rely on them and get them adjusted. And I know it sounds shallow but once and awhile I would like to people to actually see my face, lol. It's gotten better over the years, I have titanium glasses with no frames which allows more of the face to be seen. They're cool but like I say, they require a lot of maintenance, lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I got my first pair of glasses in January of 1985 and my first pair of contacts for my 11th birthday that following April, so I've had a lot of time to adjust. 26 years to be exact! I remember it was a tough day at the eye doctor, but I figured it out in about an hour. Maybe I was mature for my age or maybe it's easier to learn such things earlier. Even at home I prefer to wear contacts because it just feels more natural than some extra device attached to my face.

When I claim to be animated it's not some sort of self-deprecating statement. I'm active and move faster in everyday tasks. Everything is slower in glasses unless I staple them to my head or something and what's the point? I'm for what's most ergonomic and swift. Man, people can take so long to do the most simple things. I kind of see life like Hammy Squirrel in "Over the Hedge". When you go to the convenient store, have your money ready people or it defeats the concept of convenience!

Anyway, long story short, I find glasses cumbersome and they create an unneeded veneer that removes me from the world. I would do lasik, but we'll all need reading glasses one day so that's kind of postponing the inevitable. Until then, I'll be slow when I'm old. And keep right on the sidewalk so the active people can pass without being stuck behind the herd, please! :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would do lasik, but we'll all need reading glasses one day so that's kind of postponing the inevitable.
Lol, true. I don't know I'm not entirely sold on lasik. I mean it's great in theory but I've heard too many stories of it not lasting. And in general, I'm against potentionally risky procedures that are purely elective.