So... Sesame Street Season 44!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Nothing against Elmo or Abby as characters, but it just seems silly that they get top billing when the longest-running character doesn't get half the recognition he should.
Lol sorry for spamming this thread guys, but I just had so say you hit the nail on the head with this one. Sums up my feelings exactly.

The troubles of being a Big Bird fan, lol.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I would like more Big Bird, I would, but just because he doesn't appear as often as he should doesn't mean there's some backstage conspiracy. He's one of their main stars, no matter what. He's in plenty of merch, so kids can definitely see him everywhere they go.

Big Bird hasn't gone the way Herbert Birdsfoot or Deena and Pearl. He'll come around. Hopefully, Matt can bring the character to more prominence.

(Oh, and I just remembered, both BB and Oscar will be in the GOTCHA! episode too).

Drtooth

Reaction score
But could it also be budget? Think about it. Big Bird isn't the only character who hasn't appeared much. It seems the only characters who appear regularly now are one's with skits (Elmo, Abby, Grover, now Cookie) and street scenes with Rosita, Telly and Baby Bear. And of course Murray. Lack of Muppet performers availability also plays a huge factor (Steve Whitmire anyone? Even though I'm aware for some reason new B&E skits DO exist but haven't aired yet. Thanks SW. :rolleyes: ).
There's something to be said about budget and availability. It's obvious that they can't have so many actors or even extras on most episodes. There will always be that one episode with a huge crowd, but for the most part, the street is devoid of life. You get a lot more episodes with one or two human cast members and one or two Muppet characters. The question is how available is Carol (he lives somewhere in MA) to get to New York and perform his characters. Seems like Kevin (back when he was on the show) and a few others are more readily available. I really wonder about Muppeteers that work with both Sesame Street and Muppet Show characters. Seems Eric does both pretty frequent.

Anyway, I agree. There's no conspiracy forcing these characters out. I've seen more merchandise of those characters now than in years.

The thing I'm worried about is the budget and the low count of 20 new episodes a year. I'm sure it does cost something to make 6 more street segments. And I'm sure stretching those 26 (including 6 recobbled episodes) for 7 months is a necessity (10 episodes of Arthur are split into 5 in the fall 5 in the late spring). But it really seems that there needs to be more done to keep the show on a budget that doesn't hurt the show. All the Abby segments are paid for and over, the Cookie's Crumby Pictures can't be too cheap, and neither is ETM. I still think they need to tone down the celebrity appearances just a scoatch. Maybe have some Muppets do the Word on the street alone? Maybe reuse words instead of whole street segments.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
The question is how available is Carol (he lives somewhere in MA) to get to New York and perform his characters.

Caroll also has an apartment in the city so it's not like he travels to and from his home in New England every day he works. He is happy to stay in the city whenever he works. He is just as available as anyone else.

Peace

Reaction score
Is it possible that Carroll just took some vacation time or requested time off for health reasons or something? Maybe his shoulder finally went? We simply don't know why there's less Big Bird, I don't think we need to jump to conclusions.

I'm not sure when filming began for Season 44, but could it coincide with Matt Vogel's work on Muppets Most Wanted? If Carroll has taken time off for whatever reason, Matt could've been filming at the time, explaining the lack of Big Bird.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Is it possible that Carroll just took some vacation time or requested time off for health reasons or something? Maybe his shoulder finally went? We simply don't know why there's less Big Bird, I don't think we need to jump to conclusions.

I'm not sure when filming began for Season 44, but could it coincide with Matt Vogel's work on Muppets Most Wanted? If Carroll has taken time off for whatever reason, Matt could've been filming at the time, explaining the lack of Big Bird.

No, he was there the whole time. I've spoken to him. He was there, just not written for.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Why it took them until after they posted a complete segment to advertise it, i'll never know.

Not that I see it again, they managed to sneak the name of a very adult movie into the Biscotti Kid skit (the "Eyes wide Shut" line). Heh heh heh. Pretty clever GCPTR right there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If anyone saw the GMA interview segment, it seems that the celebrity word of the day segments feature the new puppeteer for Elmo. At least one of them did. Maybe they filmed these last?

Rymoore21

Reaction score
No, he was there the whole time. I've spoken to him. He was there, just not written for.
How are you affiliated with Spinney? Also, in one of his letters he told me he sells his artwork in "a gallery in the next town." Any idea where this gallery is?

Status
Not open for further replies.