So... Sesame Street Season 44!

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't realize that Cookie Monster's new series of inserts was called Cookie's Crumby Pictures and were all parodies. I thought The Biscotti Kid was the title for the series of inserts, as opposed to one installment.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Hope Prarie makes a appearance-she hasn't been in a street story for several seasons now. And new Guy Smiley makes me proud!

Great to see the return of Chuckie-Sue in the premiere episode for season 44.

She's making an appearance in the Jerry Nelson tribute episode.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Am I the only one sensing a lack of Big Bird in these street stories? From the descriptions given, he only appears in one and that seems like a bit cameo part ("Big appears and says the painting looks great" is about all it says). I realize that some of the episodes don't have descriptions yet but seeing as they are producing less than 26 new episodes per season now and he is only mentioned in one of the given ones it seems like he is lacking A LOT. It makes me more than a little peeved. I know he will appear in some repeats but it doesn't make sense why he doesn't appear in more current storylines. If Joey can't write for him, get someone else to. This has been happening for a few years now and I don't like it. Sorry for the rant....

That being said, I am excited for the Snuffy/Audra McDonald street story.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Am I the only one sensing a lack of Big Bird in these street stories? From the descriptions given, he only appears in one and that seems like a bit cameo part ("Big appears and says the painting looks great" is about all it says). I realize that some of the episodes don't have descriptions yet but seeing as they are producing less than 26 new episodes per season now and he is only mentioned in one of the given ones it seems like he is lacking A LOT. It makes me more than a little peeved. I know he will appear in some repeats but it doesn't make sense why he doesn't appear in more current storylines. If Joey can't write for him, get someone else to. This has been happening for a few years now and I don't like it. Sorry for the rant....

That being said, I am excited for the Snuffy/Audra McDonald street story.

He technically has the repeat episode, and he's in a couple of inserts too (the alphabet song, his cooperation bit). Joey's not the only writer, so clearly there's others who can do it.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
He technically has the repeat episode, and he's in a couple of inserts too (the alphabet song, his cooperation bit). Joey's not the only writer, so clearly there's others who can do it.

Yeah, and I'm glad kids can still see him in the repeat episodes, but making appearances in inserts like the alphabet song don't do anything for showing him as a character.

Some street stories could easily substitute the likes of Elmo or Abby with Big Bird. They don't need so many street stories. It is a street and a community, not the "Elmo and Abby Show" with everyone else acting as guest stars. Nothing against Elmo or Abby as characters, but it just seems silly that they get top billing when the longest-running character doesn't get half the recognition he should.

And exactly, there are more writers than just Joey (who is a great writer; again nothing against him) and it shouldn't be his responsibility to write for Big Bird if he has trouble with it.

...again sorry for the rant.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some street stories could easily substitute the likes of Elmo or Abby with Big Bird. They don't need so many street stories. It is a street and a community, not the "Elmo and Abby Show" with everyone else acting as guest stars. Nothing against Elmo or Abby as characters, but it just seems silly that they get top billing when the longest-running character doesn't get half the recognition he should.
I like to call Elmo and Abby a Frankenpairing. Their chemistry has improved dramatically and they actually have tension between the two characters on occasion. They seem like less of the friends of friends stuck together because the common friend had to leave... but they still seem inorganically shoved together. With Elmo, his rise to stardom was organic. Abby was forced. I like Abby and all, but SW forced her on the show and forced her celebrity because they needed another female Muppet lead/female friendly product tie-in.

I don't blame that on Big Bird's lack of appearances. But they really need more variety. Personally, I think episodes that feature random fairy tale characters are far worse.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I have to pretty much agree with everything SpinneyBigBird1 said.

It's a tough call for myself, since I consider Joey one of the most talented writers SS has had. My biased opinion and feelings on Big Bird aside, one could argue since Joey took over as HW that the writing in the show has actually gotten better, at least in terms of parodies and staying current. However, giving him head writing position also exposed his biggest weakness, which apparently was having trouble writing for certain characters, such as Big Bird. Not excusing this, since as SpinneyBigBird1 pointed out that there ARE other writers - and if it's because Carroll's aging, there's Matt, so those points are non-excusable.

But could it also be budget? Think about it. Big Bird isn't the only character who hasn't appeared much. It seems the only characters who appear regularly now are one's with skits (Elmo, Abby, Grover, now Cookie) and street scenes with Rosita, Telly and Baby Bear. And of course Murray. Lack of Muppet performers availability also plays a huge factor (Steve Whitmire anyone? Even though I'm aware for some reason new B&E skits DO exist but haven't aired yet. Thanks SW. :rolleyes: ).

While I'd love for the show to have more of an ensemble feeling then anything, this sadly is just a sign of the times. Sesame Street is always changing, and even if it isn't the show I or you grew up with, as long as today's generation are enjoying the show and still getting the message, what more could we ask for? And who's to say the Bird (or X character you feel has decreased airtime) won't resurrect in popularity in the near future? Many characters have a dry spell (seems Grover did in the 90's, now look at him) but bounce back. And besides, SS would NEVER get rid of Big Bird, so no worries.

The Bird will be back. :wisdom:

...Just give him more freakin' scripts you darn writers! :grouchy:

Status
Not open for further replies.