So you want to audition for the Muppets?

Luke

Reaction score
I havent really posted in a while but i did want to say that i support the "Save The Muppets" campaign. Even though i do wish all the auditionees from here the very best of luck (if they are gonna do this, may as well be devoted muppet fans who get the gig - especially Kev!) i do think its a REALLY bad idea to assign "stand in" performers for the main Muppet characters. It would take a lot of the magic away that the Muppets have had and i think all the points raised on the website are spot on - i've heard plenty of people do Muppet impersonations over the years and though there are some good people out there it is just never the same and never would be. It's an injustice to the main Muppeteers that have worked their characters for so many years that a person could easily go away from a sub-standard cruise ship performance thinking that is the REAL Gonzo, Kermit etc and it wasnt as good as they've seen on TV. Anyone who's seen one of the main Muppeteers perform in person knows its fantastic. I'm not trashing the people who'll audition but obviously they won't have anywhere near the level of experience as Steve Whitmire etc.

I can see the business reasons behind this, and that the MHC want to get the characters in the public domain more for people to see BUT there are other ways to do this - more live satellite links, a world tour (starting broadway, as was planned) of a theatre show starring the main Muppeteers and that could also play dates on the cruise ships. Even the Simpsons cast did a tour for their anniversary and look how busy they are - i don't think the main Muppeteers schedules are THAT busy, even with the stuff MHC has planned for them to not be able to get out there and do more appearances .... it's all just down to saving money.

If they are going to go ahead with this regardless then i think it's imperitive they don't go as far as they're planning and just have these "stand-in's" lip-sync to a tape of the main Muppeteer, only have about two of these puppeteers per character and have them train rigerously to achieve a decent understanding of how each character moves and interacts physically, and also make sure the Muppet never appears anywhere at the same time as any other version, including the main one. Not that i'm saying it'd be acceptable to me if they do this stuff - i'd rather have "one muppet".

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Not stating my opinion at all just a thought... with sesame street live they use prerecorded voices. Somebody suggested lip syncing too.... maybe that would be a way that would offend less fans for the muppets

Voiceroy

Reaction score
DannyRWW said:
Not stating my opinion at all just a thought... with sesame street live they use prerecorded voices. Somebody suggested lip syncing too.... maybe that would be a way that would offend less fans for the muppets
Not possible. It's not the same kind of "live" event. The kind Disney is apparently planning involves audience interaction.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Audio recorded voice tracks aren't a better answer because the performer is only paid once for their performance in that case, and then it's used over and over again. Animatronics, which was mentioned in the past as a way to keep from having new puppteers or performers, is also a bad idea because that takes the puppeteer out of "puppeteering."

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Animatronics, which was mentioned in the past as a way to keep from having new puppteers or performers, is also a bad idea because that takes the puppeteer out of "puppeteering."
I don't even care for that animatronic Kermit at the end of Muppetvision 3D... and that was JIM operating him. It looks too mechanical, if you'll pardon the pun. And I KNOW you will. Hehe.

:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
As many as I have credited to my name, I have to pardon ALL puns!!

One day I need to unleash the horrors of my jokes which, I feel, are Fozzie inspired! They're horrible, but the longer you think about 'em, the funnier they become.

Reaction score
new but want to try out

I am new to the Muppet Central Forum and also new at being a Professional puppeteer (4 years) I was a teacher before that and used puppets in a live siduation all day everyday to entertain and educate my way through the day.

I of course have found my inspiration from the muppets being a huge fan all my life.
It is a dream to be able to go down to LA and try out for a part even though my voices are limited. I know my Improv is really on.

After reading the thread I am feeling a little intimidated :frown:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Penelope!!

Don't feel intimidated! Everyone is great in their own way, I am sure of it. Just have fun with it, and you'll do fine.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
Audio recorded voice tracks aren't a better answer because the performer is only paid once for their performance in that case, and then it's used over and over again.
It's a better answer for the characters, and that's what One Voice, One Muppet is all about.

Animatronics, which was mentioned in the past as a way to keep from having new puppteers or performers, is also a bad idea because that takes the puppeteer out of "puppeteering."
In this case, the characters would all be programmed by their performers. Using an alternate puppeteer takes the key performer out of the performance altogether!

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
Voiceroy said:
[Pre-recorded tracks are] not possible. It's not the same kind of "live" event. The kind Disney is apparently planning involves audience interaction.
That's like saying, the puppets all have to have laser-guided missiles, because Disney is planning an event where the puppets all have laser-guided missiles.

Of course pre-recording is possible, it just means getting Disney to adjust their plans is all.