Some Gordon#2 info from those of you who knew him

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Was there anyone watching Sesame Street from 1972-1974 who knows anything about The Hal Miller Gordon? He was only on like one of the Noggin episodes, but that's probably because he was the shortest lived Gordon. Does anyone remember any episodes about him, or any memorable clips involving Hal Miller as Gordon. Any info on him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ziffel

Reaction score
One street scene from about 1973 I remember had Grover hanging from a railing and shouting, "Help!" and Gordon emerged from his apartment and promptly rescued him. In the thread about "Your favorite Sesame Street human" I selected Gordon and pointed out how he was kind of like a father figure for me. This scene is a case in point. It gave me a nice secure feeling seeing Gordon caringly and competently coming to the aid of Grover.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. I often wonder about Hal Miller. I'm most familiar with Roscoe Orman of course and I have found quite a bit of info on Matt Robinson on the web and in books, but Hal's always been sort of a "lost" Gordon. I also recall a few people saying they weren't too happy with Hal replacing Matt. I wonder if the writers knew that Hal's appearance wouldn't last long so after Matt left, they just put him in while looking for more of a permanent Gordon. Just a thought.

Another question, who played Gordon when Snuffy did that "Nobody" song? I read that in the lyrics archive recently and I have a feeling that might have been Hal. Could somebody give me some info on this?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Another question, who played Gordon when Snuffy did that "Nobody" song? I read that in the lyrics archive recently and I have a feeling that might have been Hal. Could somebody give me some info on this?
I have read that this song was featured in the Sesame Street Live album which featured Hal Miller as Gordon. I am not sure whether the Nobody song was ever done on the show.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking that it was Hal, because when I read his lines I didn't think it sounded like Matt or Roscoe. Also at the "jump the shark" site, somebody mentioned Hal Miller's Gordon having an "anger management problem." The Gordon there did sound a bit bitter. Just a few thoghts I had on this. Thanks for the info.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Thanks for posting that. I often wonder about Hal Miller. I'm most familiar with Roscoe Orman of course and I have found quite a bit of info on Matt Robinson on the web and in books, but Hal's always been sort of a "lost" Gordon. I also recall a few people saying they weren't too happy with Hal replacing Matt. I wonder if the writers knew that Hal's appearance wouldn't last long so after Matt left, they just put him in while looking for more of a permanent Gordon. Just a thought.

now why would they've choosen Miller as a temporary replacement? that doesn't make any sense.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I hear what your'e saying Mike. If Hal Miller was a temporary replacement he wouldn't have been on the show for 2 years. If he was a temporary replacement he would have probably only been there for a handful of episodes.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah, I was thinking that it was Hal, because when I read his lines I didn't think it sounded like Matt or Roscoe. Also at the "jump the shark" site, somebody mentioned Hal Miller's Gordon having an "anger management problem." The Gordon there did sound a bit bitter. Just a few thoghts I had on this. Thanks for the info.
Now, I am not saying that I agree or believe the whole anger management issue, but was there any explanation on that? Did they say anything about it?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Now, I am not saying that I agree or believe the whole anger management issue, but was there any explanation on that? Did they say anything about it?
While it was just something I read at "jump the shark." That wasn't my own personal opinion. Heck, I never even saw the guy on the show so I can't really have an opinion on him.

As for my thoughts on why he was a temporary replacement. I was just thinking that because I've noticed Matt was popular when he was on the show and there's Roscoe who's been popular as Gordon for 31 years, but the fact that there's not much known about Hal and that he wasn't on the show for too long lead me to believe that he could have been a temporary replacement. Just an assumption I've made. This is an instresting thread though. I hadn't known Hal before, but now after reading this thread I can list some of his sketches or songs:

"I've Got Two"
"Nobody"
His rescue of Grover.....

I'm looking forward to adding more to the list.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Also the Hal Miller Gordon was the first person to meet Sam the Robot when he first came on the show in 1972. I saw this on Noggin and it's also the only time I ever saw Hal Miller as Gordon.