Some Gordon#2 info from those of you who knew him

Ziffel

Reaction score
In this debut appearance of Sam the Robot did Sam say, "Machines are perfect, are perfect, are perfect, are.." (Then the human hits him on the side and he says, "Thank you.") ? I recall many scenes with Sam utilizing this so was just wondering if they used it right from the start.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Yes he did say this on his debut episode and Gordon and Susan both hit him in the mouth together.

BEAR

Reaction score
Obviously when they cast Gordon, they needed to find someone who could interact well with the Muppets but also had a good chemistry with Loretta Long (Susan). I wonder if she had anything at all to do with the casting of this. I don't know a whole lot about Hal Miller or Matt Robinson because I was not alive then. Roscoe Orman is the Gordon I grew up with and him and Loretta Long seem great together!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Obviously when they cast Gordon, they needed to find someone who could interact well with the Muppets but also had a good chemistry with Loretta Long (Susan). I wonder if she had anything at all to do with the casting of this. I don't know a whole lot about Hal Miller or Matt Robinson because I was not alive then. Roscoe Orman is the Gordon I grew up with and him and Loretta Long seem great together!
It's good to find someone who's on the same page as I am. Lol. Unfortunatley, you don't see Roscoe and Loretta together too much anymore. They should do an episode where they have an anniversary party or something.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I hear what your'e saying Mike. If Hal Miller was a temporary replacement he wouldn't have been on the show for 2 years. If he was a temporary replacement he would have probably only been there for a handful of episodes.
I doubt SS or any show would have someone on for a temporary replacement. they'd just wait till they'd find someone permenitly.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was sorry to see Matt Robinson replaced by Hal Miller, but he didn't do a bad job as Gordon. When Roscoe Orman came along, his personality was a little closer to Matt's, and apart from his bald head he looked more like Matt too. But it's all for the best.

Changing actors to keep characters going happen so much. You'd appreciate this mikebennedict.
On the Jeffersons Mike Evans was the original Lionel Jefferson, to be replaced
by Damon Evans (no relation), to be replaced by Mike Evans again.

As long as nobody loses any sleep over this, Gordon is still great, no matter who was lucky enough to play him at the time. None of them ever did anything to damage his reputation.

BEAR

Reaction score
Matt Robinson was considered by many to be the "hip" Gordon. Roscoe Orman carried the same kind of hip quality Robinson did but maybe a little more mellowed out. Makes sense since time has passed anyway and the character has aged. I think Orman portrays Gordon perfectly for his age and the times. Gordon was always the father figure of Sesame Street. He is now kind of like the cool grandpa.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
I was sorry to see Matt Robinson replaced by Hal Miller, but he didn't do a bad job as Gordon. When Roscoe Orman came along, his personality was a little closer to Matt's, and apart from his bald head he looked more like Matt too. But it's all for the best.
Yeah, it makes me wonder if they had Matt in mind when they did the flashback in the episode with Miles' band.

Censored

Reaction score
There was one street skit where Hal Miller's Gordon threatened to stop giving Oscar any more trash unless he started talking nicer to everyone.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hmmmm. It seems like Hal Miller was more of the "tough guy" type. Just an assumption based on what I've read.