Somebody's Getting Married?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... Wonder if there'll be another update soon. And I'm interested to see where this story goes. The only other big TMTM segments that are missing I can think of are the scenes at Pete's Luncheonette and the postcard segments.
Rully looking forward to whatever Ru're planning though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Checking in to see if any updates have been posted yet.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 16: Scheduling and Conflicts

Fozzie’s scene had gone just fine, despite his earlier qualms about same. Beth had turned in a very sweet and believable performance, and Fozzie had actually felt comfortable enough to joke a little, trying the scene a number of ways. Although one version—with Fozzie shooting up out of unproductive slumber in alarm—was very funny, they had all concluded that the best version was the one in which a surprised and very nervous Fozzie merely subsided with a whispered protest. Cecile had been a great help on the set, soothing the nerves of her nervous daughter and said daughter’s costar with a calm, motherly presence. The scene was in the can and they were all waving Cecile and Edgar out the door with regret by the time the clock said it was time to quit for the day. Before the young man left, Kermit commandeered Scooter for a few moments to go over the schedule.
The week of filming had been full, but there had been several unanticipated changes. He and Piggy had come back a day late from their honeymoon, which only added to the muddle. Luckily, because the number of locations used and the difficulty of predicting weather and the whim of the permit-givers, they had still produced an appropriate amount of film every day, but the schedule had gone all kerflumpy. Some of this would be resolved by filming on Saturday, but he hoped to involve as few people as possible.
“We still have to go back and finish at the park,” said Kermit, frowning a little. “But we don’t need all the original permits because it will mostly be the close-up stuff, right?”
“Right,” said Scooter.
“So—can we do that tomorrow?”
“We can do that tomorrow—you and Piggy and Juliana. Oh, but we do need to check on the buggy ride.” Scooter shuffled some papers. “Uh-oh,” he said, frowning. “Let me make a call.”
Scooter got up to find a phone but Kermit stayed him with a hand, getting up himself and taking the opportunity to stretch his cramped muscles by walking to Piggy’s dressing room. Might as well have a destination if I’m going to walk, he thought, a little defensively, but when he knocked there was no answer. He wandered back to his office to find Scooter sitting with a disgruntled expression on his face.
“What?” he asked.
“Well, apparently the horse-drawn buggy drivers union doesn’t allow them to make any film appearances on the third weekend of any month ending in E.”
Kermit looked at him for a moment. “Say what?” he asked, his face scrunched up to indicate his consternation and disbelief.
“I didn’t believe it either,” said Scooter, “so I called the Union office. Apparently, Section E of the code, sub-section 14—“
“Okay, okay,” said Kermit hastily, anxious to avoid a recital of the entire horse-drawn buggy driver’s code. “Um, where does that leave us—beside buggy-less?” This reminded Kermit that the thin little cellophane-wrapped sandwich he had managed to bolt earlier in the day had not been enough to sustain him, and he tried to push thoughts of food out of his head.
“Oh—we can use the buggy,” said Scooter. “Apparently sub-section 14 goes on to say—“
“Scooter!”
“Huh?” Scooter looked up from his notes, and one look at Kermit’s face told him to cut to the chase. “Um—buggy in, driver out. If we can find another driver, we’re good to go tomorrow.”
Kermit looked thoughtful. “Let me call Jim,” he said. “He might know someone. What about the train station—are we still on with the train station?”
“Oh—oh, yeah! We’re good to go. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 the train will pull out as many times as we want,” Scooter was happy to report. He looked closer at his note. “Um, provided it isn’t more than three,” he muttered, but Kermit was not put off. He did not think they would need more than one shot to capture Piggy’s elegant departure by train while he watched from the station platform.
“So, Piggy and I in the morning at the train station, and me and Piggy and Juliana in the park tomorrow at noon. Will that bring us up to speed?”
“Technically,” said Scooter slowly. “But we still need to reschedule the big opening number. We need everyone for that, pretty much. When do you want to do it?”
Kermit looked at the schedule. Scooter was right—everyone was involved in that scene either backstage or with the audience full of extras. Although they had originally planned to film these scenes at different times, it made sense to combine them.
“When are the extras scheduled to come?”
“Right now, Tuesday.”
Kermit nodded his head. “Tuesday it will be,” he said decisively.
Scooter looked up at him and smiled. “Coming down the home stretch,” he said, smiling. “Then we’re on to post-production.”
Kermit nodded. Time was hurtling past. Just at that moment, Piggy appeared in his office doorway, and time seemed to stop as he gazed at her.
He looks tired and hungry and…wonderful, Piggy thought. She intended to take him home and focus her attention on just him, determined to sooth all signs of tiredness and hunger away. That tenderness was reflected in her gaze, and in her voice.
“Almost done, Kermie?”
The two men looked at each other. Scooter nodded, satisfied.
“Yeah,” said Kermit. “I’m done for today. Let’s go home.”
He could not even remember whose turn it was to host, whose domicile he was heading toward, but it hardly mattered. He took Piggy’s hand and followed her out the door.

The once-elusive train ticket had been procured. As the early morning fog swirled around the station, Piggy had waved and dropped her little square of lilac linen and lace as the train pulled away. So convincing was Piggy’s look of sad farewell that Kermit found his eyes stinging a bit as the scene progressed. By the time they got to the end of the scene, there was a great lump in his throat that made him glad he had no lines to say. What would it be like to have lost his courage at the last? To have never proposed? To see Piggy riding away from him, not knowing when he would see her again? When the scene had been run the requisite number of times, Piggy appeared on the train steps. Kermit walked past all the crew hands ready and willing to hand her down and held his arms open to her. Surprised, Piggy stopped on the steps, not sure what he wanted. With a laugh, Kermit leaned forward, put his arms firmly around her waist and lifted her off the train, swinging her around and down on the platform next to him. Love might give you wings, but it could give you strength in other ways too.
“That was just right,” said Kermit, and Piggy stared at him in surprise as he stretched to kiss her on the cheek.
“What was that for?” Piggy asked, aware of many watching eyes. Kermit caught the look and looked around, sheepish but defiant.
“Um, that was for a great performance,” he said a little too loudly. Now baffled, Piggy just stared at him, but the new security she had found as his lawfully wedded wife had made her more sensitive, perhaps, to the little changes of face that marked his moods. She looked at him and her blue eyes softened in response.
“Thank you, um, Kermit,” she said formally, giving the evil eye to any gawkers. All eyes were hastily averted, and Piggy leaned in and kissed him sweetly on his jaw. “I’m here, Mon Capitan,” she murmured. “And I’m not going anywhere without you.” She stepped away and caught his hand, and Kermit held hers tightly in response. They walked back toward the cameras.
“That was…it was a little disconcerting seeing you ride away like that,” he said at last, opting for honesty.
“There were times that it seemed like a good idea,” she responded, but her eyes said that she, too, was glad this had come to a different conclusion.
“Yeah,” said Kermit. “About that…”
But Piggy merely tugged him after her toward the camera crew. She wanted to be sure that her pert little hat had not been blocking her face. Upon assurance that it had not, she had sighed, happy to be done, and had gone in search of a lime-ade, leaving Kermit to deal with the details until it was time to go to the park.

The horse-and-buggy driver had arrived, and Scooter looked up at the tall, lanky form with obvious pleasure as he swung down from the carriage.
“Mr. Henson!” he cried. “Kermit said he was going to call you, but, but I didn’t know you were going to drive the buggy.”
Jim smiled his big smile, and a glint of mischief shone in his eyes. “Well, I don’t suppose they need a chaperone any more,” he said with a laugh, “but somebody ought to keep an eye on those two.”
Scooter looked around carefully to make sure neither of them were in ear-shot, then nodded emphatically.
“Yeah. It’s been a little weird,” he confessed. “Since they got married, Piggy treats Kermit like he’s the director.”
Only someone who had worked with Piggy and Kermit in a professional capacity would understand why this was so very startling, and Jim just looked at Scooter in surprise.
“Really?” he asked. “You mean—“
“Follows his directions. Takes suggestions without having a fit.”
Jim stared at him, flummoxed. “I suppose you’ve checked for signs of alien mind control,” he said dryly, and Scooter laughed so loud he clapped his hand over his mouth.
“Well, I haven’t,” he admitted. “But I’m sure Gonzo has.” He smiled up at Jim. Jim was tall, and Scooter, not so very. “You look good. How’s the new movie coming?”
Jim’s eyes lit up at once, but he shrugged at the same time. “It’s, um, challenging,” he said at last. “I’ve never tried puppetry on this scale before.”
“Speaking of,” said Scooter. “I saw the film you ran on the nursery scene—we all did.”
“Kermit said you liked it.”
Scooter blushed. “Yeah—all except my belly-button showing,” he muttered, but Jim just laughed and leaned down to muss Scooter’s hair. Scooter caught himself just before he complained, certain that Jim was just trying to get a rise out of him. A venerate practical joker, Jim could find all your buttons and push them with consummate skill, so Scooter merely tolerated the hair-ruffle and considered himself the moral victor. He had little time to savor it, as Piggy and Kermit arrived almost at that instant, and then the filming took precedent over catching up.
Juliana’s scenes were dispensed with first so she could get on her way. Between takes, Piggy was extremely solicitous to the young actress. Once the camera’s rolled, however, Piggy made a very convincing display of extreme displeasure and jealousy. Juliana was very glad she did not have any designs on a particular amphibian. She did note with some amusement that, between takes, Kermit seemed very satisfied with Piggy’s display of proprietary interest, scripted or no. At one point, she looked up to find Mr. Henson watching them with a huge smile on his face, but when his eyes met hers, he merely shook his head. She finished her scenes, took her leave of her fellow actors and went on her way.
Finally, with nothing left to do but their fight scene and the buggy ride, Jim ambled over to talk to two of his favorite thespians. Jim’s new movie was discussed and congratulations to the happy couple were immediately forthcoming, but the talk soon became practical. With dawning wonder, Jim watched as Kermit sketched out how he thought the scene ought to play. Piggy looked at him attentively throughout, and the erstwhile buggy-driver did his best to keep his jaw from gaping open. When he turned at last to mount his buggy, he looked mildly flummoxed.

“Oh, Piggy—one more thing,” Kermit said. “You know that thing you do?”
Piggy gave him a startled look, but Kermit was clueless until a telling blush began to creep up her cheeks. Then he blushed and stammered himself until they both fell into giggling for a moment. After a moment, Kermit tried to reassume his questionable air of authority (or perhaps his air of questionable authority). “Piggy,” he said sternly. “That’s not—I mean, the thing you do where you do something and then pretend that you didn’t.”
Piggy stared at him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“That’s it! That’s perfect!”
“What’s perfect?” Piggy asked, mystified but not about to let a compliment go unacknowledged. She preened a little, brushing her hair back from her face.
“Oh, you’re wonderful,” said Kermit fondly, leaning in to peck her on the cheek. “When the buggy ride is over, just do that.”
“Do what?” Piggy growled, but Kermit was moving away. She looked at him in exasperation. Honestly! Sometimes that frog was just impossible to understand.

When the scene was over, and the camera crews and technicians had all been sent packing, Scooter came over to take his leave. Jim had offered to squire the happy couple around the park until the buggy had to be returned. This offer was welcome to them both, and for more than one reason.
Returning to the park had reminded Piggy of Kermit’s sanguine comments about her degree of domesticity and she had found it very, very easy to argue with him in front of the cameras. Kermit had always held his own against Piggy’s tirades, however, so he bore up estimably under this scripted one, but some of the genuine emotion must have bled through on his part as well, and he felt truly baffled and indignant when the scene was over. He tried to shake it off and his manners were very gentlemanly as he helped Piggy up into the buggy seat. The scene played very nicely, in part because of their initial awkwardness with each other after the heat of the moment had passed. But by the time the last lines had been delivered, Kermit was aware of Piggy’s softening toward him and all his warm and contented feeling seeped back to the surface.
Jim turned around and grinned at them.
“Ready?” he asked.
Kermit settled back against the seat, one arm tight around Piggy’s waist and the other holding her hand. “Ready, driver,” he said in an exaggeratedly urbane voice. “Drive on.” Piggy giggled and leaned her head on his.
There is not much that a romantic horse-and-buggy ride through a beautiful park won’t cure, and there was not much that needed curing anyway, but the end of the ride found them happily nestled in the slowly swaying buggy. Piggy stirred sleepily when the ride was over, smiling at her husband.
“Ready to go home, Mrs. The Frog?” he asked. Piggy nodded solemnly. For the second time that day, Kermit swung her down from a conveyance right into his arms. It was a feeling she hoped to get used to.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply loved it all. Though there was something lost from that first sentence, not sure what it is the "same" Fozzie had problems with. And I apologize as I got Beth's parents' names mixed up with other characters from a different Hensonian production. But I thoroughly enjoyed this new chapter... The train departure scene and the buggy ride with Jim. Very much look forward to whatever's left in the home stretch what with the postcards and filming with the extras... Post more when ready Ru!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Stopping by to see if you're OK and we can get more story. Post soon!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Sing: 1 for the money...

Hope you haven't forgotten this one Cath... Want to know how it'll all end with the postcards from the Muppets and Kermit and Piggy enjoying their newlywedded status on set with the rest of the cast.
More story, please!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 17: Domestic Bliss

It was their first afternoon at home with domesticity. In Paris, they had had long, lazy afternoons together, but that was different. They were on holiday then, away from the norm. Here there was, perhaps, too much of the norm, or not enough, depending on how you looked at it. Kermit’s apartment proved too small for separate pursuits, and while the time they spent in a single pursuit was both joyful and productive, the confines of the small space began to make themselves felt. Piggy had tried to get comfortable with a stack of prospective scripts on the divan, but it proved a vain pursuit. Kermit’s fairly utilitarian couch proved unequal to the task, and Piggy found she could not snuggle back into its corner the way she could on her own overstuffed loveseat. This isn’t even as comfortable as that shabby old couch in Kermit’s office, Piggy though irritably, but when Kermit looked her way—as though sensing her distress—she dredged up a smile and pasted it on her face for his benefit.
“How’s it coming?” Kermit asked.
Piggy looked at him blankly.
“The scripts? Any good ones?”
“Oh. Oh! Well, I haven’t actually, um…opened one,” she admitted sheepishly. “How about you? Budget coming together?”
Kermit nodded automatically, then laughed and began to shake his head.
“No!” he groaned. “I didn’t get here with everything I needed from the office.”
“Oh. What do you need, Sweetheart?”
“Scooter,” Kermit said wryly, and they both laughed.
“I think Scooter went cycling today,” said Piggy. “So I imagine he’s irretrievable, but if you’d like to go into your office at the studio…?” Then I could go to my hotel, Piggy thought with longing.
Kermit brightened visibly. “Would—would that be okay?” He could not keep a note of wistfulness out of his voice.
Piggy was wise in the ways of women. She flashed him a look that managed to be both imperious and doting. She stood up, then walked over to where he perched on one of the uncomfortable straight-backed chairs and brushed a fond kiss across his smooth pate. “I suppose I could manage without you for the afternoon,” she said, and Kermit found himself even more bound to her—and summarily released. He stood up and put his arms around her, claiming a kiss as one entitled, then began to gather his papers.
“Thanks, Honey,” he said. “I’ll feel better when I get this budget ironed out.”
Piggy just smiled. She’d feel better on her own couch.

Kermit was surprised when Piggy joined him on the taxi ride to the studio, but less mystified when she had the driver drop her off near the shopping district. He got out like a gentleman and opened the car door for her, accepting her demure kiss and watching with satisfaction as she sashayed into the nearest boutique. He climbed back into the taxi and set his face toward work.
It felt later than it actually was when Kermit picked up the phone on his desk and dialed home. Surprised when no-one answered, Kermit frowned at the phone before replacing it in its cradle. He had only just replaced it when he snatched it up again and dialed Piggy’s hotel.
She answered on the third ring, sounding sleepy and tousled. Kermit longed suddenly to be where she was.
“Hi Honey,” he said. “I’m all done here. Want to meet me for some supper?”
There was a pause on the other end of the phone, then Piggy said, “That would be lovely, Kermit. Where shall we go?”
Kermit named a place that elicited a squeal of pleasure from Piggy and smiled at her enthusiasm. “Name a time,” he said. Piggy did, and hung up to begin the transformation into the diva that the world expected to see.

They had not been out in public in their own stomping ground since they’d gotten married, and their arrival in the restaurant created no small stir of interest. Kermit had called as soon as he hung up from talking to Piggy, expecting to beg and plead for a reservation, but they had been ecstatic at the thought of having the celebrated newlyweds, Miss Piggy and Mr. the Frog, gracing their fine dining establishment.
Fame was not new to either of them, but this degree of interest in their couplehood was a little disconcerting. The movie had not yet wrapped, but news of their marriage had spread like wildfire, so the public had questions that could not yet be answered by simply pointing to the movie and saying, “Sortof like that.” Her dress—what had her dress been like? Who had done the service? How long had they been engaged? If either of them had envisioned a quiet supper of soup and savories and chilled champagne, it was laid quickly to rest by the steady stream of admirers that stopped by the table. At one point, Kermit had moved his chair over next to Piggy, determined not to spend the entire evening with strangers between them. Piggy had smiled and held his hand under the table, all the while keeping up a steady chatter about the movie, the dress, the ring, the surprise of it all. After the first fifteen minutes, Kermit thought she should have just recorded it and played it over and over while people passed by, but Piggy was indefatigable when it came to her viewing public. He was annoyed at the interruption of their time, and very, very proud of her all at the same time. The thought made him smile. Nothing was ever simple with them.

By the time they had escaped the restaurant and slipped into a taxi, they were grateful for the silence and quiet of the cab’s interior.
Kermit started to speak but found that just sitting quietly and holding her hand was all it took to satisfy him. Piggy, however, seemed unquiet, strung with nervous energy. Kermit squeezed her hand, hoping she’d look at him, and was rewarded by a quick, nervous smile.
“What?” he said, puzzled by her restlessness. “Too many people, tonight?”
“Yes!” Piggy said fervently, then blushed as Kermit laughed out loud. He caught her hands and pulled her over for a quick kiss.
“Too many people for me, too,” he said, releasing her. His expression became solemn again. “But that’s not it. Something’s bothering you.”
“No…not at all, Kermie,” Piggy said evasively.
Piggy could lie, but it was not her strong suit. Though Kermit was often baffled by her behavior and blind to her little white lies, the real whoppers still stood out like gangbusters. This was one of them.
“Tell me.”
Piggy plucked at her gloves.
“What will people think, Kermie?” she asked. “When they see the movie?”
“That it’s good, I hope,” said Kermit, not sure what she was getting at.
“Will they…will they think the wedding is just a movie stunt?” Piggy asked. “The way we filmed it…?”
They had not been generous with details, although some of the questions had been entirely too personal for either of them to do more than blush and stammer, but Kermit had seen the looks of surprise and even disbelief on some of the faces. He had acknowledged that as his just due, and had accepted some good-natured ribbing from fans who claimed never to have been fooled by his air of detachment. His cover had been blown for sure, he had thought, and now the entire world would know how he really felt about his gorgeous co-star. But Piggy’s question brought this into an entirely different focus. It had never occurred to him that people would doubt the truth behind the fantasy, and that realization hit him with a solid wallop.
Kermit let out a slow breath. He…he had not really thought about it that way before. The movie had been one thing—a thing he had wanted, and had wanted to be a certain way. But getting Piggy—that had been another thing entirely, though he had wanted that, too, to be a certain way. He had taken for granted that what he truly wanted was obvious—to the world, as well as to Piggy.
“Well, we are married,” he said at last. “And I’ve got the girl and the ring and the license to prove it. Isn’t that enough?”
Piggy hesitated, then her brow cleared determinedly. “Yes, of course,” she said firmly, but Kermit had seen the hesitation.
“Piggy?”
She did not answer.
“But, Honey—“
“Oh, just kiss me, won’t you?” Piggy cried. “I’m—I’m so tired of talking about everything!”
Kermit’s delight obliterated his arguments. He obeyed his wife’s entreaty with enthusiasm and forgot—for quite some time—to question Piggy about her hesitation. He forgot about the world and the world’s opinion, lost in a world of two.
Kermit forgot, but Piggy did not.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... That was unexpected. Couple of small typos, but I'm ignoring those as my new mod squad colleagues have shown me to do so.

This chapter had a natural progression towards it... Starts out at Kermit's home, then we move to the office and hotel where both really want to be, and finally the crowded restaurant. Intriguing to see how you proceed from the shared personal/public space to the individual personal/public spaces for both, and finally to the public space where they allow everyone else to view them amongst the crowds of everyday people.
But the ending where Kermit's made to think about those who might believe the wedding was pure fantasy... Nice way to go for the double whammy of us fans trying to figure out Muppet chronology and what was real and what was just movie magic fiction.

Rully liked it Cath, please post more here and for your other main masterpieces of Muppet literature.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
A Place of Our Own

Chapter 18: A Place of Our Own

“Okay, people,” said Kermit. “Tomorrow is the last day of filming, so we have to do everything right today to make that happen.” He looked down at the sea of upturned faces from his stand on top of his director’s chair.
“You guys have been troupers,” he said. “Especially during my recent, um, incarceration in Paris,” Kermit finished dryly. There were laughs all around. Well, not quite all. There was one co-star, at least, who was not amused. At all. “If you have a script problem, I’m going to be available for the next fifteen minutes. After that, we shoot as written. If you have a costume problem, check in with Hilda or one of her assistants, but don’t bring it up later. Do it now.”
Scooter slipped up and handed him a couple of papers. “The following people need to see Scooter after this meeting: Fozzie, Sweetums, Lew, Link, Piggy, Bobo….” There were several names on the list, but Kermit got through them and then looked around.
“Anything else?” he asked. No one spoke, but there was a restless shuffling of feet, the beginning swell of a murmur.
“Okay,” he said. “Stage call in fifteen. Everybody move.”

Despite being first in line with Scooter with a little creative elbowing through the crowd, Piggy found herself needing to talk to Kermit when the fifteen minutes was all but gone. She caught his eye easily, but catching any of the rest of him proved to be difficult indeed. He signed papers, answered questions, resolved conflicts and looked her way about every 25 seconds with his ‘just a sec, honey’ look, but all for naught. People were taking their places on the soundstage and Piggy had still not had her private audience to talk about the script. And she wanted to talk about the script.
At last, Kermit turned to her and Piggy sighed with relief and opened her mouth to speak, but instead of getting her question out, she found herself embraced and kissed impulsively by her new husband. Fairy-tale PR aside, frogs are good kissers, and Kermit was indeed a frog. Piggy didn’t mind the distraction, exactly—in point of fact, she contributed to it herself for a moment—but Piggy had a problem with her script and she intended to have her say. She tried again when they separated at last, but Kermit was already moving away.
“Kermit!” said Piggy. Kermit stopped, turned and grinned at her. “Aw—not now, Honey. We’ve got to get on the set.”
“Don’t ‘not now, honey’ me!” Piggy said. She stamped one artfully shod foot on the floor. “I am trying to talk to the director.”
Kermit pulled up short. “Oh,” he said, and then, “Sorry, Piggy. What can I help you with?” He was all business now, and listened attentively while she talked about her scene with Juliana in the diner. Kermit nodded as he listened, and commented intelligently, but Piggy could tell he had his mind’s eye on his watch. She cut her comments short in something very like exasperation.
Kermit was puzzled by her snippiness, but Piggy felt like she was getting the worst of both worlds today. It was lovely that Kermit wanted her, but she needed him to be her director, too, and that role took precedence for her when they were on the set. And while he was usually a very accommodating director—very accommodating, indeed—who would listen seriously to the things she wanted, she now felt somewhat guilty about lobbying for changes. She couldn’t decide whether it was because she felt like she was getting special treatment, or because she felt that she wasn’t. Yesterday, while they had been at home, she had felt like she was only getting part of his attention there (well-focused though it might be!) while the rest of him was actually here at the set, in spirit if not in the flesh. This whole predicament made her head hurt, and that made her more grumpy and irritable than she had been before. Piggy tried not to stomp over to the diner set and did some neck rolls to exorcize the furrows from her forehead.
“What’s the matter, Miss Piggy?” asked Juliana, immediately seeing the tension in Piggy’s face. “You look…you don’t quite look like yourself,” the young woman amended hastily.
Perhaps because her scenes had called for her to be so very snippy with the character of Jenny, Piggy had gone out of her way to be friendly and charming to the actress when the cameras weren’t rolling. Today, that put a bee in her bonnet, and she wondered crossly why Kermit had written her as so jealous and disagreeable.
“Oh, nothing,” she said, and tried to dispel the dark cloud that seemed to have settled over her mood.
Jenny said nothing, but her sweet face was so frankly disbelieving that Piggy had to laugh. Jenny smiled back, not quite sure of the joke.
“No really,” Piggy insisted. “I’m just—I’m just having end of movie jitters, I think.” She did not want to confess that married life was anything less that perfect all day all the time. Later, this would seem very funny to her--very funny indeed, but today, Piggy was stuck in the moment. She let out a couple of deep breaths and pasted on a brilliant smile. “Are you excited about the movie wrapping?” she asked, hoping to start a conversation that would distract her from her own musings.
Juliana smiled. “Well, it will be strange, won’t it, to not be filming? I’ll guess I’ll move on to the next project—probably television work. How about you?”
Piggy was momentarily stumped. “Um, we’ll go back to the states, I guess. And Kermit will start post-production.” She had not thought very far ahead, but then, in all fairness, she had not even known she was getting married two weeks ago! “I guess we’ll find a place of our own.” She felt suddenly overwhelmed with the enormity of the changes her life had undergone.
“Oh!” cried Juliana, reaching over impulsively and hugging Piggy. “A place of your own! That sounds so romantic!”
Piggy’s eyes grew wide. A place of their own. She tried to imagine it—tried to envision having a place that had her stuff and his, a place with a couch that was just right for both of them. She had a sudden picture of towels—one pink, one green—nestled up against each other on a towel rack. One said “His.” The other said, “Hers.” Her eyes went all dreamy. Suddenly, all of her pique seemed silly. What did she have to be annoyed about? She was Piggy The Frog, happily wedded wife of Kermit The Frog, and that was certainly worth a little disruption of routine.
Piggy looked around, suddenly wanting to see him, wanting to be reassured that this was not some dream, some fantasy segment that she had wandered into by mistake. As chance would have it, she was looking for him at the split second that he turned to check on her. Their eyes met, and Piggy felt that old, familiar pull on her heart. His look was tentative, his expression sweet. Piggy thought she might just die of happiness.
“Yes,” she murmured distractedly. “It sounds very romantic.”
While she watched, Kermit fumbled his pen, dropping it not just once but twice before reclaimed it sheepishly, shaking his head at his folly. Piggy felt her diva-ness come back with a forcible thump, and she preened a little. It was nice to know that she could still discombobulate him, still knock him just a little off center. She turned to Juliana briskly.
“And when we’ve found a place and settled in, I’ll guess I’ll have to pick one of those scripts Marty keeps sending.”
“Anything good?” asked Juliana politely.
Once more, Piggy’s eyes strayed to the slim green figure giving last-minute instructions to the cast. “Everything,” Piggy said simply. “Everything’s good.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... So here's where you've gotten off to, you slick miss green and pink. Glad to see that one of your other longstanding stories has gotten a nice little bump. Always interesting to read about the behind-the-scenes everyday life that makes the magic happen. Funny how little things can set us off at times and funny how we look back on them wondering what were we worried about?
Very much like Piggy's moment of professional/personal discomfort only to be replaced by dreamy illusion.

Hope for more to be posted soon, both here and somewhere else that's pending your perfected-pointed pen.