Songs You Can't Stand

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Remember when T-Swift used to put out country music? That was 2008.
I remember that, my older sister used to be a pretty big fan of Taylor's.
And as annoying as her songs can be, "Love Story" was once one of my favorite songs.
I actually used to hate "Blank Space" but it's actually grown on me over time.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Has that song really been around that long? I remember the first time I heard it was on a bonus feature on the SHREK 2 DVD, in which they have an AMERICAN IDOL-esque singing competition, and Prince Charming sang that song - it was hilarious.
I found out about the song in almost the same way, except it was an episode of Fairly Odd Parents .

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember that, my older sister used to be a pretty big fan of Taylor's.
And as annoying as her songs can be, "Love Story" was once one of my favorite songs.
I actually used to hate "Blank Space" but it's actually grown on me over time.
I hate admitting this, but as far as pop music tweens like, Taylor Swift isn't too bad. Her stuff is at least catchy. I'm no fan of pop music (with a wild, swinging variety of exceptions), but she's one of the better ones, I feel. At least she has a certain audience and it's not as vapid as the Disney/Nickelodeon prefab pop stars of 2005. And I can totally get behind Blank Space if the rumors are true... it's the Death Note. Even if it isn't, it's not a bad song, really.

20 years ago or more, all we had to put up with not liking was "I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt".
Ah yes. One of those types of in on the joke, purposely campy pop tunes. Like "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" and that "Gundam Style" thing from several years ago (even though the darn thing wasn't about Mobile Suit Gundam...oh wait...It's about Gungans, right? Or Gunga Dinn?") Something that basically mocks the fact its a pop song.

I love "Too Sexy for my Shirt." that is, until bad comedians and T-shirt makers ruined it.

But the song that drives me freaking wild is that terrible "Fight Song" song. Anyone ever listen to the lyrics to that one? It's cliche imagery and garbled lyrics that in the end make no sense. And it rhymes song with song multiple times. And it's presented as this powerful thing that it really isn't. It's no cliched overused thing from a Rocky movie. Those are usually good. There's a reason why they're overused. Yeah, this is coming from someone who's a freaking sucker for 1980's fighting montage music. Partially ironic, but they're freaking catchy. Especially that one they use when Unicron rips himself open to death in Transformers the Movie.

Plus, I hate when songs are meta unironically. I get singing about songs when it's like, Sesame Street ("Pretty Little Song" "What's the Name of that Song?") or that "Look what they done to my song, Ma!" thing (though not one of my favorites, and they ruined it for oatmeal commercials). But you don't sing a song unironically about how you're singing the song about you singing the song. That's like when something breaks the fourth wall so many times you you're completely taken out of it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But hey, whatever you think about Taylor Swift, at least we have Adele. And Bruno Mars' songs are often overplayed (especially "Uptown Funk) but at least he has enough songs to balance it out. It's funny how quickly UF became his signature song after having all these huge hit songs, now this one won't go away.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm no fan of pop music (with a wild, swinging variety of exceptions), but she's one of the better ones, I feel.
While I'm not exactly the biggest fan of modern pop music either, there are rare occasions where a certain song will become an earworm and get stuck in my head, for good or bad. More recently, "Sugar" by Maroon V has been one of those songs - don't know why, but that catchy refrain easily gets stuck in my head.
But the song that drives me freaking wild is that terrible "Fight Song" song. Anyone ever listen to the lyrics to that one? It's cliche imagery and garbled lyrics that in the end make no sense. And it rhymes song with song multiple times.
You'll be happy to know the girl who did that song finally came out with a new one, where she sings about walking through **** with someone.
And it's presented as this powerful thing that it really isn't.
That's what I've been saying about "All About That Bass" all this time: it's supposed to be this song about empowering bigger girls to feel good about themselves for who they are, but Meghan Trainor's robotic voice, and the annoyingly repetetive refrain kind of kill it. But, hoo-boy, that doesn't even compare to her latest video, where she's dyed her hair fire-engine red, and is dressed in a skin-tight sheer and leather S&M outfit, rubbing her hands all up and down her body, fondling and squeezing her breasts that she shoves into the camera, and yet the actual song is supposed to be about how she's not a sex object for men to try to have their way with. Deep?

And Bruno Mars' songs are often overplayed (especially "Uptown Funk) but at least he has enough songs to balance it out. It's funny how quickly UF became his signature song after having all these huge hit songs, now this one won't go away.
Bruno Mars is kind of in the same boat as Taylor Swift, but nowhere near to the extent that she is. But in a similar manner, yeah, once he comes out with a new song, that becomes like his signature hit for the year, or until he comes out with another new one. Last year in the controversial (and some argue even blasphemous) "Locked Out of Heaven," then before that it was always "The Way You Are."

Oh, and if Robin Thicke is supposedly one of today's hottest artists (I never even heard of him until Miley Cyrus started dry-humping him on stage to stir up controversy), how come it seems like his only song is "Good Girl"? Or Pharrell - all I ever hear of his is "Happy."

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Or Pharrell - all I ever hear of his is "Happy."
Pharrell originally made his mark as a producer, by myself and with Chad Hugo as part of the Neptunes. He and the Neptunes produced for people like Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Drake, Beyonce, Snoop Dogg, countless others. It hasn't been until recently that he's focused on his own music compared to that of others.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I hate admitting this, but as far as pop music tweens like, Taylor Swift isn't too bad. Her stuff is at least catchy. I'm no fan of pop music (with a wild, swinging variety of exceptions), but she's one of the better ones, I feel. At least she has a certain audience and it's not as vapid as the Disney/Nickelodeon prefab pop stars of 2005. And I can totally get behind Blank Space if the rumors are true... it's the Death Note. Even if it isn't, it's not a bad song, really.

Ah yes. One of those types of in on the joke, purposely campy pop tunes. Like "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" and that "Gundam Style" thing from several years ago (even though the darn thing wasn't about Mobile Suit Gundam...oh wait...It's about Gungans, right? Or Gunga Dinn?") Something that basically mocks the fact its a pop song.

I love "Too Sexy for my Shirt." that is, until bad comedians and T-shirt makers ruined it.

But the song that drives me freaking wild is that terrible "Fight Song" song. Anyone ever listen to the lyrics to that one? It's cliche imagery and garbled lyrics that in the end make no sense. And it rhymes song with song multiple times. And it's presented as this powerful thing that it really isn't. It's no cliched overused thing from a Rocky movie. Those are usually good. There's a reason why they're overused. Yeah, this is coming from someone who's a freaking sucker for 1980's fighting montage music. Partially ironic, but they're freaking catchy. Especially that one they use when Unicron rips himself open to death in Transformers the Movie.

Plus, I hate when songs are meta unironically. I get singing about songs when it's like, Sesame Street ("Pretty Little Song" "What's the Name of that Song?") or that "Look what they done to my song, Ma!" thing (though not one of my favorites, and they ruined it for oatmeal commercials). But you don't sing a song unironically about how you're singing the song about you singing the song. That's like when something breaks the fourth wall so many times you you're completely taken out of it.
THANK. YOU. Back in Last August when that song was playing on the radio often, I was at a Red Sox game at Fenway Park, and the "hype" video before the game used that song. Really? A song so cliche and "inspirational" would likely depress the players and fans. There's plenty of better songs to get the crowd pumped up, and a Baseball game may be more casual than most sports games, but STILL. I enjoyed the game nonetheless, and what do you guys think of that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I liked "Ex's and Oh's" when it first started playing on the radio at the beginning of the year, but then when I realized it was actually part of the soundtrack for that *** movie, I dunno, it kind of lost a little pizzaz after that.

EDIT: Really? Acronyms are censored now? Okay. I mean that Tina Fey movie.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I can't say that there's a song I can't stand, but there is one that's getting to that point - "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. It's so overplayed that I want to throw the radio out the window, run out of the store, etc. Others might feel happy, but not me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know the song literally killed someone once. Apparently some lady was driving along and the song started playing, so she tweeted how happy the song made her feel . . . then she crashed and died.