Songs You Can't Stand

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I know the song literally killed someone once. Apparently some lady was driving along and the song started playing, so she tweeted how happy the song made her feel . . . then she crashed and died.
Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not such a fan of it then....

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Just remembered two others that are worse than "Happy" - "Baby" by Justin Bieber, and "Friday" by Rebecca Black.

Ugh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
THANK. YOU. Back in Last August when that song was playing on the radio often, I was at a Red Sox game at Fenway Park, and the "hype" video before the game used that song. Really? A song so cliche and "inspirational" would likely depress the players and fans.
It's a song about having a fight song. How the heck is that inspirational. It's the most shallow and nonsensical one of these, and it's clearly written to use at these kind of events. And it works. The old guy who owns the song's rights and probably the pop singer's soul is making hand over fist in royalties. Doesn't matter if it's a crap song.

I can't say that there's a song I can't stand, but there is one that's getting to that point - "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. It's so overplayed that I want to throw the radio out the window, run out of the store, etc. Others might feel happy, but not me.
My problem with that song is it's popularity is all out of context. It was written specifically for the scene in Despicable Me 2 when Gru realizes his feelings for Lucy. Then a freaking year after the movie, the song became popular to the point where I didn't even know where the darn thing was in the film until I saw it much later. But I can't really blame the song for that one. It's those freaking morning news outlets that also killed "Let it Go" through overexposure. Say what you will about Psy and Gangham Style, at least when Ellen ruined that internet meme, it was fairly current at the time instead of the usual year to year and a half wait, and it disappeared quickly with a death knell in that awful Squirrel movie because it was animated in South Korea. And that's the only star they have that has recognition internationally.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Briefly returning to the subject of groups and artists that seem to only be known for one signature song, despite having others, makes me think of Naked Eyes: "Always Something There to Remind Me" is often cited as being their "farewell song," but what other songs do they have? I've never heard anything from them other than that one song.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Briefly returning to the subject of groups and artists that seem to only be known for one signature song, despite having others, makes me think of Naked Eyes: "Always Something There to Remind Me" is often cited as being their "farewell song," but what other songs do they have? I've never heard anything from them other than that one song.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Eyes

It's the same thing with other bands, like Focus, Vixen, Vanilla Ice, Nena, A-ha, The Knack... the list goes on.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah. So . . . really nothing much else. Makes sense, lol.

But wait a minute, if according to their discography, "Always Something There to Reminds Me" was their first song, why do people always cite it as being their farewell song?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I actually never heard of Naked Eyes or "Always Something There to Remind Me" until I looked it up earlier, but it turns out that that song was actually a cover.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So we now have a Meghan Trainor billboard in my town. Whoop-dee-doo. But, guess what? It's clear that they Photoshopped her slimmer for the billboard, because she doesn't look nearly as chunky as she does in her videos.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ooohhhh... I bet she's not happy about that at all.

Anything I can say about how I dislike her music, I at least like how she's up in arms about the record company CGI'ing her thinner in her music videos. She seems to at least have some level of integrity, and I can respect that. Still don't care for her music.

So, like I said in the rant thread, I cannot stand the entire genre of (again, having to make up a name since I don't think one exists) "Fake Folk Music that Millennials that live in Oregon and dress semi-ironically like lumberjacks listen to." But I tell yah, I hate "This is gonna be the best day of my life ife ife ife ife i-i-i-ife."