SS cast

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Molly the Mail Lady.

if she had lasted years later i wonder if she would of dressed the same? i mean look at Mr. McFeely on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. he wore the same uniform till the very end of production. and while mailcarriers and other sorts of delivery people still wear uniform's they've changes since Mr. Rogers debuted and when Molly joined the cast.

SesameMike

Reaction score
To answer a few older posts here.

Although David was the primary employee of Hooper's store (and later owner), there was a series of shows in about 1976 where David was studying to be a lawyer. He was studying at a table placed outside of the store, after Mr. Hooper sent all the kids to go play "on the other side of the street". One day Maria sat down next to him and kept making noise (eating potato chips, playing a radio, tapping her fingernails) that made it difficult for David to study. And for part of this time, David was working nights at Hooper's ("I've GOT to mind the store."). There was this thing where Big Bird kept rigging up devices, like a set of cymbals or a wired record player, to keep David from falling asleep on the job. The whole idea of struggling to work one's way through law school was a good role model.

In another, earlier show, David parenthetically mentioned he went to med school. What happened is Oscar was trying to get the adults to quiet down, so he dressed up as a doctor, complete with a dingy looking white coat and that reflector on this forehead. He then called the adults over and gave some of them a summary diagnosis for some made-up disease, whose only treatment was to lay down in bed in silence. (Susan commented that she was a nurse and would know if she was sick.) David commented that he went to medical school, and noticed Oscar had the "Quiet Mumps(?)", meaning he had listen to everyone playing and having fun!

As for Gordon, I think the reason that they re-cast the character, and twice at that, was because in the earlier days he was kind of a "host" of the show. Note that the Mad Magazine parody "Reality Street" had "Gorgon" (I think that was his name) as the announcer. Later years seemed to treat all adult cast members more or less equally.

The first I ever heard of Susan being a nurse was around the third or fourth season, in which Big Bird packed his bags (including his "spare feather") to move away. When the adults asked him why, he said it was because he didn't "do anything" on Sesame Street
  • Mr. Looper -- you own a store
  • Susan -- you're a nurse, and you can make sick people feel better
  • Luis -- you own a Fix-It shop, so if someone has a broken vacuum cumber you can fix it good as new
The adults responded "Well.... you build nests." Big Bird responded by building an actual-size nest in the middle of the street, and had Mr. Hooper begrudgingly go into it to validate its "importance."

The first time I ever saw Susan in uniform was when they did a split-screen routine of her in uniform and in street clothes. The game was, what was different about them, and what was the same. "We're both named Susan" was one similarity.

dvakman

Reaction score
Sesame Mike, you have one fabulous memory. How old were you when you saw these shows?

SesameMike

Reaction score
I was born in '66, so I started at watching from the show's start at age 3 and quit at late 10 or early 11. The social stigma of watching SS was starting to catch up with me by then, sad to say. As with many of us, I "rediscovered" the show in later years, but by then it just wasn't the same.

reevefan

Reaction score
About BOB

This post is about Bob McGrath

I started writing to him many years ago... It seemed like fun at the time. Then after about 3 years the letters quit coming. The last one I got was from his wife! Ann Sperry McGrath told me that the guy is not a letter writer and that he never even wrote a letter to his Mom in all the years that they were married! :frown:

Talk about a let down... I was so upset that my mom had to read me the letter! I thought about the little sesame seeds that sent him pictures or letters that their Mom wrote for them...

I wrote to him through CTW and the address off the "Sing me A story" CD. I still have the stuff in a box perminantly stored up in my room someplace... I loved the guy very much but after that it changed... (i guess he has his reasons for not writing) But still he should have been honest about not writing..

I also heard a roumer that Linda and Bob had something going on back in the day? It it true or not? Either way Linda is better off with another guy... He looks like Neal Sedaka to me....

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
hOW MANY LETTERS DID YOU WRITE I MEAN HE WAS FAMOUS. MILLIONS OF KIDS PROBLRY WROTE TO HIM, IF HE SENT BACK ONE RESPONSE YOU WERE LUCKY I WOULD LET IT BOTHER YOU I MEET HIM IN 1986 HE SEEMED LIKE A GOOD GUY I WON A CONTEST TO HAVE DINNER WITH HIM AFTER A CONCERT W/ LIKE 10 OTHER KIDS

Censored

Reaction score
reevefan said:
This post is about Bob McGrath

I started writing to him many years ago... It seemed like fun at the time. Then after about 3 years the letters quit coming. The last one I got was from his wife! Ann Sperry McGrath told me that the guy is not a letter writer and that he never even wrote a letter to his Mom in all the years that they were married! :frown:

Talk about a let down... I was so upset that my mom had to read me the letter! I thought about the little sesame seeds that sent him pictures or letters that their Mom wrote for them...

I wrote to him through CTW and the address off the "Sing me A story" CD. I still have the stuff in a box perminantly stored up in my room someplace... I loved the guy very much but after that it changed... (i guess he has his reasons for not writing) But still he should have been honest about not writing..

I also heard a roumer that Linda and Bob had something going on back in the day? It it true or not? Either way Linda is better off with another guy... He looks like Neal Sedaka to me....

So you received letters that were supposedly from him, but were actually from his wife? If he doesn't write letters to anyone, I wouldn't take it too personally.

Yes, Bob and Linda were definitely an item for many years on Sesame Street. There was even talk of having them get married, but it never happened. I heard that it was actually Bob McGrath who vetoed the idea of his TV character being married; I'm not exactly sure why.

reevefan

Reaction score
EWWWW Gross!

Bob and Linda get married? Ugh.... Sorry but no... Thank God that never happened...

it is not me I was talking about in terms of the letters... it is the kids... Ann told me that I could keep sending letters, but she understood if I decided not to... That was that... It would have been better if he told me upfront rather then having his wife do it...

I just decided to stop as it really shattered my view of him... I don't hate the guy, but he could have been honest with me from the start... Just letting you all know that the letter writing thing was something that I went through first hand....

Oh well... the cards and stuff are put in storage...

mikebennidict

Reaction score
think you mentioned that at YL unless it was someone else. of course it's a lot easier to not just email somebody and when your site has a message board you can easily communicate with the people. on his site i mentioned the 35th aniversary of the show and Mrs. Cooney's birthday. the site is rarely busy like this 1 is and it's ashame. at least he could of eritten and said. thanks for thinking about the show and it's milestones. i can sort of understand peoople like Bob not replying back or joining these boards as well i found an email adress for Elmillio Delgado once and asked him to join and got nothing back. they're all probably busy. not just with SS but other things including family. i've never had any success with any of the SS cast. i wrote Mr. Rogers afew times and he responded a coupl of time. TEC's June Angela. she responded to # of my emails. she's a very nice lovely lady. 1 of my questions was about Morgan Freeman and how i've heard how he doesn't seem to look back on his days on the show. at the time she wasn't aware of him being unhappy with being on the show. if you want me to share more of this with you all let me know.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Mike,Did Sonia Manzano Write Back To You? If So Or Not,What Happened :confused:

Because I Would Like To Meet Her For Sure! She's Pretty! If I Saw Her In Person,I Like To Get Her Autograph And A Picture Taken With Her! :wink: :flirt: