Star Trek

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
As for TNG, I think Data was the science officer. He was also third in command after Riker.
data was the operations officer, not the science officer. science officers where blue uniforms, while engineers, operations officers, and security where yellow/gold uniforms. so data was wearing a yellow/gold uniform. * early on in the creation of the next generation, data was going to be the science officer, but producers didn't like the blue uniform with the color makeup of data, which is kind of a gold color. so the producers decided to make him the operations officer. but yes he was third in command after picard and riker.

the enterprise did have a chief science officer, we just never knew who that person was because he/she was not a member of picards senior staff. however, during tng's 6th season episode called "lessons" we do get to meet the chief science officer and it is lieutenant commander nella daren. she recently transferred to the enterprise and began a romantic relationship with captain picard. however, after picard sends her on away mission and after the way mission, she and picard both realize that the relationship would not work out and daren transfers off the enterprise after that episode. the remainder of the series, there is no mention of who is the head science officer, but we assume there is one on the ship.

*if you look closely in startrek 8 first contact, at the beginning of the movie we see a man in a blue uniform with a rank of commander i think, so i'm assuming that person is the chief science officer for the enterprise e. however , this person does not speak nor do we learn of this man's name.

*i know, i'm a big nerdfor knowing this stuff, but what the heck, huh!*

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Yup, Chief Engineer he is. I just rewatched "Relics," where he spends a wee bit o' time with Scotty, and his engineer-status is right there at the heart of the episode...
you can thank ronald d. moore, who was a writer for both tng and deep space nine for that episode. he said he has been a fan of scotty's since the original series. however, at the beginning when scotty is rescued, riker tells scotty that his ship is the enterprise. however, scotty thought james kirk was the one who brought the enterprise back to rescue scotty. but in star trek 7 generations, a movie that was written by moore, scotty, kirk, and chekov are on board the enterprise b where kirk has an accident and scotty assumes that kirk is dead. the movie was written after relics so when scotty told riker that he thought kirk rescued him, kirk was actually dead. it was just a mistake and moore wanted scotty to be in startrek generations.

ryan

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
the movie was written after relics so when scotty told riker that he thought kirk rescued him, kirk was actually dead. it was just a mistake and moore wanted scotty to be in startrek generations.

ryan
I've made that okay for myself by assuming that 70 years in a pattern buffer will do things to your brain. Probably he was a little disoriented...

Beauregard

Reaction score
I havn't seen much TNG though I love it. So tell me, someone, what is Tasha Yar's story? didn't she have an affair with Data at one point? And what is all this I read about her ending up in an alternate reality or something?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I havn't seen much TNG though I love it. So tell me, someone, what is Tasha Yar's story? didn't she have an affair with Data at one point? And what is all this I read about her ending up in an alternate reality or something?
In "The Naked Now," the series's second episode and an update of the classic "The Naked Time," Tasha (while "intoxicated" by some kind of space virus) does indeed seduce the "fully-functional" Data. Then she told him at the end that it never happened, but we all know better...

Tasha died later in the first season because Denise Crosby wanted out of her contract. She was killed by a big oily evil critter, and then she gave a farewell funeral speech on the holodeck. In the third (?) season she showed up again in the episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" (a GREAT episode). The Enterprise-C (the predecessor to the TNG ship) came through a time rift right before they were supposed to aid a Klingon outpost that was under attack. Their aid would (and should) have furthered the cause of peace between the Federation and the Klingons. Instead, since they came into the future before they could help, an alternate universe was created in which the Federation was still at war with the Klingons, and (coincidentally) Tasha Yar was still alive. Because of the mystical intuitiveness of Guinan, they all realize that the Enterprise-C has to go back. Tasha also finds out that she's supposed to be dead anyway, so she goes back with the Enterprise-C to help, since some of their officers have died. Later on we find out that in the past she goes into she gets captured by the Romulans, and is forced to be the mistress of a Romulan official. We find this out because her half-Romulan daughter (also Denise Crosby) shows up to be a baddie in a number of fourth and fifth season episodes.

Hope this helps!

:smile:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
okay since we're on tng for the moment, who's your favorite character?

i've got two: laforge, because he has a good attitude about things and seems easy going and riker because he can make people laugh, even though he annoy's worf sometimes...

ryan

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Data and Geordi are my favorites. Data is just a really cool character, and Geordi's such a good-natured guy. And hey, how can ya not love the Reading Rainbow guy? And I like the relationship between the two of them. It seems to be one of the closest bonds in the series, even though Data is an android.
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
isn't it funny that levar burton who hosts reading rainbow encourages kids to read, but they can't because they're watching the show! it was just a dumb little thought of mine.....

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
And I like the relationship between the two of them. It seems to be one of the closest bonds in the series, even though Data is an android.
Erin
i've always liked the friendship those two had.

tng had geordi and data
ds9 had miles and julian
voyager had tom and harry

as for enterprise...who knows where the buddy system is?.....maybe trip and malcom, although at the beginning of the series, it was going to be trip and travis......but the writers haven't explored that yet or anything that has to do with travis mayweather either.

ryan

Beauregard

Reaction score
My favorite characters are as follows:

Enterprise - Hoshi, Archer, T'Pol, Reed...
TOS - Not seen enought to judge, but from what I've read - ONLY SPOK
TNG - Data, Crusher, LaForge, Deanna...
Voyager - Never seen or read any so can't form an opinion
DS9 - Odo, and the lady (forgetten her name, not Dax the other one)