1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Stephanie D'Abruzzo responds about Caroll Spinney

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by HiHo3892, Nov 19, 2017.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

50 years of playing two of the greatest characters in TV history. That is dedication.

2. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

I really hope Caroll makes it to season 50...

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

We can only hope.

4. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

I'm 99.9% sure he'll stay till Season 50. Doesn't make sense if he quits now if he's this close to making it to 50 years.

5. D'Snowth

Years ago, he said he intended to stay on board until he physically can't hold Big Bird's head up anymore.

Since reaching that point in life, he then began saying he intends to stay on board till Season 50.

As far as I know from speaking with the castmembers at the Fanboy Expo, plans for Season 50 have already been in the works, and knowing how far in advance they tape SS, they'll probably start taping Season 50 before we know it. As I said, if Caroll has plans to retire after Season 50, and with Season 50 coming up soon, then this Farewell Tour of his makes sense.

6. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

It'll be extremely sad to see Carroll not involved at all with Sesame Street anymore. :(:wisdom:

7. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's just the way it is. With how long the show's been going, the old-timers are going to have to move on at some point.

I do hope Caroll can stick around for the 50th season. Not only would that be a tremendous accomplishment for him, but also for the whole television industry. Very few people have managed to stay on a series for at least 50 years.

8. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Carroll is 83/84 the man can now retire yes it is gonna be different without him but he man is allowed to retire

And I think the henson children should have rehired Steve whitmire because he won't be around forever either

9. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Well-Known Member

Carroll is the last of the original cast still active on the show. That’s pretty special.

10. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Well-Known Member

On that note, anyone know if Dick Maitland's still doing the sound effects? I know he has gotten around to doing other projects after Sesame Street, but he has been doing Sesame Street's sound effects since the beginning, if I recall right.

11. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Frank Biondo. Cameraman since Day 1.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  12. GrouchFanatic

GrouchFanatic Well-Known Member

That's Matt

13. GrouchFanatic

GrouchFanatic Well-Known Member

I couldn’t agree with you more! She’s incredible! If only she got Zoe too! Jennifer sounds NOTHING AT ALL like Fran

14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So..... How often did Caroll Spinney provide the voices of his characters this past season (I kinda feel there should be a Muppet Wiki page, at least a sandbox page, for his season 48-50 performances)? I thought I read that he was Oscar in at least one episode.

15. D'Snowth

To be fair, Jen has a very similar nasally texture to her voice that Fran did, which I think I can understand why they had her take on Zoe after Fran's retirement.

That being said, however, as far as Muppet recast go, Jen as Zoe is perhaps the most noticeable . . . and this is coming from someone who took years to get used to Eric's Bert and Fozzie, and David's Cookie Monster.

16. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Caroll didn't provide voices in any of the new material for Season 48, which is why this article got taken out of the sandbox: https://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Caroll_Spinney_character_transitions

17. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Honestly, if Stephanie had taken over Zoe instead, people would still complain about the voice being different. And that's because Zoe's voice was kinda close to Fran's natural voice. When a performer inherits a character who's voice was close to the original performer's voice, it gets difficult to duplicate it. That's why neither Matt nor Peter's Robin sound like Jerry's Robin. As for me personally, I've warmed up to Jen's Zoe, cause even if she sounds different, she's just as adorable as she ever was. Plus, I'm kinda proud of myself for predicting that Jen would get Zoe when Fran's retirement was announced.

18. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

This is true. Its why Kermit is hard to nail as it was close to Jim's voice, but Link Hogthrob (to me anyway) was nailed by Steve and Peter ( more so Peter).

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  19. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard to tell a difference between all the Link voices, especially between Steve and Peter.

But I think the issue of characters sounding close to their performer's real voice, I think this is why Big Bird's voice is harder to imitate. Baby Bear's and Rosita's voices seem like they would be a challenge, also.

20. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

True. I think Eric sounds more like Oscar than Matt sounds like Big Bird and Big Bird is more like Caroll's actual voice. Matt is still pretty excellent though. When I first heard it back in the mid nineties I thought that Caroll just had a cold the day he recorded.