Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Art schools are seldom run by creative minds

:sympathy: I am very sorry to hear about your expulsion. I feel it was unjustified as the situation has been reported in your post. I know this is cold comfort - but it is not the end of the world. I have attended three, yes three, different art schools.

In my situation it was me finding the right place for artistic growth. I found something along the way - in whatever school you attend it is the investment that reaps the outcome, whatever the school. There's the completion of assignments, reading of chapters etc, but it is how the individual artist interprets these things - what he or she creates out of them both in school and out of it - that makes for a successful artist.

I have known so many graphic designers that cannot draw. This has always offended me. Sure, they can get pretty cushy jobs, but I'm the one who's called in to clean-up after some of them when it takes creativity that cannot be fudged in Photoshop or plucked from someone else's clip art. That's a feeling of real contribution, inspired by assignments and external sources, but cultivated personally. :cool:

I also know that creative people see things differently. We can often be a demonstrative and passionate lot. That tends to make others uncomfortable. Therefore caution (rather than censorship) should be employed when necessary. Discovering when these times are can be a challenge because as stated, the creative mind often sees things differently. I have learned this hard lesson in my own situations. It bites. It really, really does!

Good luck and may this end up being a minor footnote, if not an anecdote, in your artistic career. May it ultimately fuel something you make that could inspire others! :zany:

As for women, well I can't be much help for you in that category. I have found that two artistic types in a relationship can be volatile. Beyond that, again, good luck!

Boppity

Reaction score
That's not fair at all. I could see how they could see that as a death threat, yes, but surely they could look on the internet and see that yes, those are just lyrics.

However, the fact that they did something like that means that there must be somewhere better for you. I agree with frogboy4, you just need to find the right place for artistic growth. :smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
God, I'm sorry to hear that, and I don't think you should let them get away with it! Call them, write them, threaten them, talk with a lawyer if you kknow one, do whatever it takes to get back in or make them pay!

Teheheman

Reaction score
Oh lord, whatever you do, do NOT threaten them. Do all that other stuff, but do NOT threaten them. That's what got you in this mess to begin with. They'll REALLY think that you threatened her if you do that. That's just my opinion, but I'm right lol.

Daniel

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
When I am bored in class I write, "I AM SANE!" over and over and over and over again in my notebook.
Don't write it TOO often, because you might begin to believe it and actually become (oh, the horrors!) SANE?

(I feel so guilty for saying the "s" word.)

Wiseman

Reaction score
Hmmmm hmmm

I can sympathize with you Johnathan I was a substitute teacher with the DOE but early in my career a student cursed at me, basically he dropped the F-bomb) I told him I was not thrilled by his language and the pincipal of the school I was working at overheard it and gave me a "U" rating without telling me. I found out about it later when I had trouble logging on to subcentral and now I am pursuing my case with the UFT. According to my representative I am clean, in fact a "U" shouldn't even be given until you have logged in 10 days at the same school, and I had only logged in 4 at the school in question.

Princeton

Reaction score
I can somewhat empathize with you, Jonathan. I went to a Christian high school, where most secular musicals were taboo. I wasn't even *allowed* to mention RENT in the school, and I got suspended for suggesting that we do Jesus Christ Superstar for our winter production. Then one year, when homecoming time came, we had this big dry-erase board where we could write whatever we wanted. I repeat, Whatever We Wanted! Well, it just so happened that this particular year was "Mean Girls" year for me, so of course I wrote a MG quote on the board. It was one of the best lines in the movie: "Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen; it's NOT going to happen!". Later that day, I was getting on my bus to go home when my principal practically throws herself in front of the bus to make it stop. She then got on the bus (in front of at least 15 other kids) and demanded to know what the quote meant. Now you tell me, what could be taken the wrong way about THAT quote? Maybe she would have rather I wrote the entire Mathelete Rap. :grouchy: :mad: :attitude:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Princeton said:
I went to a Christian high school, where most secular musicals were taboo. I wasn't even *allowed* to mention RENT in the school, and I got suspended for suggesting that we do Jesus Christ Superstar for our winter production.
Wow, that's pretty harsh. I went to a Christian high school as well, and while there were some restrictions, we still got to do several secular shows (including RENT). And the only reason we didn't do Jesus Christ Superstar was probably because our theater didn't have the resources, hehe.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty harsh. I went to a Christian high school as well, and while there were some restrictions, we still got to do several secular shows (including RENT). And the only reason we didn't do Jesus Christ Superstar was probably because our theater didn't have the resources, hehe.
Lol, it's funny, being homeschooled all though high school, and knowing that homeschool is Faith-based, when we had special co-op classes to go to, we weren't allowed to say "crap".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, every school/home school has its own interpretations I guess. :smile: