1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

That Guy with the Glasses' "Demo Reel" trailer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperGzilla12, Oct 23, 2012.

1. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Well, the first two episodes are now online.

I'm watching the first episode right now and while I'm not too far in I think our fears are being realized: this really is mostly about the parodies and not the characters. Doug is taking a The Office approach with this show that I'm really not liking. I'll give it a few more episodes and give myself the chance to finish this one but I can tell already that it's going to take a lot for Doug to make something like this to make me comeback every week.
  2. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

Yeah, I imagined so.

I'm not too sure if I even care to watch this. We'll see...
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So... he's really NOT moving on after all? I mean, I thought he going to branch out and expand, as opposed to simply creating more internet-exclusive material... guess I misunderstood what was going on.
  4. BobThePizzaBoy

He is moving on, just not to something worthwhile (yet). There are a couple Nostalgia Critic-related Easter eggs throughout (Casper makes a cameo, "Randy Newman" sings the theme song) but the humor overall in the parodies is hit or miss.
  5. BobThePizzaBoy

6. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Here's something else about the NC discontinuation that I don't like: Doug said that he ended the character in part because he knew he would never remember to take his wedding band off when doing videos. Let me tell you a story: I had a director one time who got hit in his ring finger by a softball and bent the ring into his finger so that he can logistically not remove it. So, when he's doing a show where his character isn't married, he puts a Band-Aid over his ring.

Doug, if your ring is keeping you from playing the NC, I will mail you a lifetime supply of Band-Aids!!!
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

"Demo Reel" seems alright. If the entire shtick of it is just pointing out the plot holes of the movies, then it may get old.
  8. D'Snowth

You know, I've heard all kinds of different stories regarding actors and their wedding rings and stuff, but... ending Nostalgia Critic because he can't remember to take his wedding ring off? That's... hmm... I mean, I've heard of people who just outright refuse to take their wedding rings off, like Larry Hovis in the case of Hogan's Heroes, so his character wore gloves all the time, but this seems like a lame excuse to end something because you think you won't remember something like that.

Y'know, it's funny, but when I first learned Doug was married, I was genuinely shocked, because I have to be honest... up till then, I honestly thought he was gay...
  9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

He doesn't really announce anything in his life. Not that he has to, but I didn't even know he had a girlfriend let alone was getting married. And now he's moved into a new house too
  10. BobThePizzaBoy

Mo Frackle likes this.
  11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I must say, from what I've seen so far, this is very cleverly done.
  12. D'Snowth

Now I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing was some kind of little stunt that Doug was staging the whole time... I mean, he only announced that he was ending Nostalgia Critic, what... a few months ago? And already it's making a comeback? Not only that, but what about these other things he was supposedly working on but instead was doing like his own version of How it Should Have Ended or something... I dunno.

Still love Doug either way, I'm just a little confused by his actions of late.
  13. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Gosh, the Nostalgic Critic is funny. Wait, scratch that. He's hilarious!

I was watching a whole bunch this morning, gosh, I laughed really, really hard. :) And in his "11 Worst Spiderman Moments" video, Nicky Holliday comes on!

I'm glad he's coming back, I am excited to see what else he has for us.
  14. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Seriously, am I the only one who finds him more obnoxious than funny? :/
  15. D'Snowth

I think it's part of his character.

He's like Pee-wee Herman, or Larry the Cable Guy, he has that character, and that character is supposed to be rather cynical, sarcastic, and at time unpleasant (a kind of humor I can appreciate); I've heard stories from people who've met him IRL, and say he's just as big an *** in person as he is on the internet, but again, I think that's just part of him being in character.

I've heard rumors that when he's just being himself (as in Doug Walker, and not the Critic, or the Bum, or anybody), he's a really nice guy, but there's really no substantial recounts to back that up, as, again, most of the stories I've heard of people meeting are pretty much him being in character as Nostalgia Critic, and acting like an *** with his fans like he does in his videos.
  16. Sgt Floyd

Well, yeah, I realize that's just him in character, but that doesn't mean I can't not like him. I just wish I could understand WHY people find him so funny. :smirk:
  17. D'Snowth

I think you have to appreciate dry, cynical, and sarcastic humor in order to find him funny.
  18. Sgt Floyd

Actually, I do. It's the screaming at everything I find annoying.
  19. D'Snowth

See, now that actually cracks me up, but then again, I get a kick out of how people can turn on a dime like that, being all calm and collected one minute, to suddenly screaming like a girl franatically the next.

I dunno, but to me, there's something funny about grown men having the ability to scream like little girls; Danny Stern's "Marv Scream" is like memetic mutation.
  20. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

He's very different in real life. He reviews some movies as Doug Walker. Search him up, he did a very good review on the Muppets.
    It's all apart of his character really. At some points he gets out of hand and sometimes, even waay too far. But most of the time, I think he's one of the funniest things out there. Especially funnier than HISHE. (Even though they're pretty funny too, most of the time.)