The Best Sequels Ever Thread!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice to see Mike and Sulley again, but WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY DO?
Well... uh... there's a Monsters Inc Comic Book.... seems like they have an idea. Frankly, I couldn't see them having a plot line for a whole 90 minute movie... but there's deifnately room for a comic book.

On a different note: I'm kinda glad that Disney stopped with the DTV sequels. While there are a few that were on par the the originals (Aladdin and the King of Thieves, Little Mermaid 2, Lion King 1 1/2) some were just unnecessary (Fox and the Hound 2, Cinderella 2).
Wasn't Cinderella 2 basically the kind of sequel they made by smushing together 3 episodes of an unsold TV show? They did that with Atlantis, and there was supposed to be this great Atlantis TV series... there was even a crossover with Gargoyles (at least one character from it). That annoyed as lot of Gargoyles fans.

I can't really see a sequel to Monsters Inc. The Incredibles on the other hand...
As I said, they wanted to do a sequel to the Incredibles... they just don't have a script or idea they think is worthy enough for one. Unlike most companies, Pixar will only make a sequel if it's grander than the first film. Look at Toy Story 2. It blew TS 1 out of the water. I love that movie, but I can't even watch it now because TS2 puts it to shame in every aspect. That's a sequel. I don't know how they'd top what they did with the Incredibles... a villain that's so psychotic he literally kills every super hero so he can step in and become one. Not to mention the whole blacklisting super heroes because of a lawsuit filed by someone who wanted to commit suicide... that is DARK Comedy right there... and in a PG rated "Kiddy film" too.

Fluffets

Reaction score
What? No love for Gremlins 2? :concern:
Right over here! That was definately what atleast I would call an example of a good sequel, and it also seems like a good film to get another sequel for, because the gremlins could attack, well.. anywhere, a military base would be cool I guess or a film studio, I have to say though I don't know why so many people hate it, sure its not got so much dark humour but essentually its the same but Gizmo's dance was maybe a BIT unnessecary, also I'd just like to mention a funny and interesting fact: there was one bit where a gremlin opened a cage in the lab to let a monkey/primate of some sort out of its cage but the monkey in reality was too scared to come out, probably due to the gremlin and with the cut footage the gremlin tries to lure it out with its hand, its very funny.:smile:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Reboot. Reboot! REBOOT!

I thought I'd try to raise this thread from the dead (I made a rhyme!) with a thought on a sequel that I didn't think was so good, The Jungle Book 2.

When I first saw it (back when I paid no attention to plot structure, whatsoever) I thought it was the best sequel I'd ever seen. However, going back and watching it again just recently, I was sorely disappointed. The plot was basically just the first in reverse.

After seeing the stuff about the original Jungle Book's story treatment on the Platinum Edition DVD I was thinking that it would've been a better idea to revive the second half of that (not knowing if it was in the book or not), which involved a hunter, Buldeo, using Mowgli to get at a treasure under the monkey's hideout, as the plot.

While I'm not sure that there is anyone who will agree with me, I thought it would have been a good idea.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Jungle Book 2 was painful. I will say John Goodman was a pretty good Baloo, considering both his original and recast voices were dead by that time (that includes the one who played him on Talespin). Add to the fact the humorless and slightly bitter widow of Louis Prima whining her head off and suing Disney because someone did an impersonation of him for Talespin.

You CAN'T copyright a voice. That's ridiculous that she even won the case. Having to kill a cartoon character because the voice actor died is inexcusable. NO ONE who has voiced a cartoon character, celebrity or otherwise (or their family) has ever been so selfish as to sue someone over the use of an impersonation or recast. Disney owns the CHARACTER and you'd think Louis would have been okay with someone else voicing Louie in a piddling cartoon series that wouldn't pay him so much.

I usually respect things like that, but I find it highly ridiculous, overly sensitive, and just... well... completely disappointing behavior by anyone.

GarlicGuy

Reaction score
My opinion of the Shrek series (in a nutshell):
Shrek 1: Awseome!
Shrek 2: Not bad...
Shrek 3: :cry:
Shrek 4: Good!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The Jungle Book 2 was painful. I will say John Goodman was a pretty good Baloo, considering both his original and recast voices were dead by that time (that includes the one who played him on Talespin). Add to the fact the humorless and slightly bitter widow of Louis Prima whining her head off and suing Disney because someone did an impersonation of him for Talespin.

You CAN'T copyright a voice. That's ridiculous that she even won the case. Having to kill a cartoon character because the voice actor died is inexcusable. NO ONE who has voiced a cartoon character, celebrity or otherwise (or their family) has ever been so selfish as to sue someone over the use of an impersonation or recast. Disney owns the CHARACTER and you'd think Louis would have been okay with someone else voicing Louie in a piddling cartoon series that wouldn't pay him so much.

I usually respect things like that, but I find it highly ridiculous, overly sensitive, and just... well... completely disappointing behavior by anyone.
From what I can get, she didn't sue solely because Jim Cummings was impersonating Louis Prima, she sued because she wasn't being reimbursed. As a result, Disney stopped using the character to avoid having to deal with her. :rolleyes:

Either way, it's still ridiculous. I don't think Louis, himself, would have minded, given the fact that he said the role would basically make him immortal.

Having Louie back would have been another bright spot in the overall dull movie. :sleep:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My opinion of the Shrek series (in a nutshell):
Shrek 1: Awseome!
Shrek 2: Not bad...
Shrek 3: :cry:
Shrek 4: Good!
If I may...

In my own opinion...

Shrek 1: Good
Shrek 2: Best
Shrek 3: Okay for laughs
Shrek 4: Meh...

JJandJanice

Reaction score

I have to TOTALLY agree, especially since I myself am a HUGE fan of King Louie.

Did anyone see that episode of "Mickey's House of Mouse" where they had King Louie's "twin brother" King Larry, that was actually a bit sad in my opinion. :sympathy:

Anyway as for really good sequels, I'll put my vote behind both Toy Story 2 and 3.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Did anyone see that episode of "Mickey's House of Mouse" where they had King Louie's "twin brother" King Larry, that was actually a bit sad in my opinion. :sympathy:

Anyway as for really good sequels, I'll put my vote behind both Toy Story 2 and 3.
Yes, I did and yes, it was. :sympathy:

I agree with Toy Story 2, but can't pass my opinion on 3 since I haven't seen it yet. However, I have a feeling I'm going to like it, given all the good reviews I've read. :big_grin: