1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Buildings of SS

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Fozzie Bear, Jun 4, 2006.

1. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Well... I wouldn't know about that Snowthmeiser.
    BTW: Thanks Jeffkjoe... Down the street? Hmmm.
    Oh well, it's fun to plot these things out.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that. I'm so sorry...
  3. The Count

No worries... I find it as enlightening as anybody else when posts like that are posted, makes you aware of what else might be there that you've been missing out on.
  4. doctort13

doctort13 Member

Let's not forget the subway entrance that is to the left of the Fix-It/Mail-It shop.

Has anyone found a link to a layout/map of Sesame Street. I used to have one bookmarked, yet can't seem to locate it right now.
  5. The Count

Huh? You talking about the normal subway or the Worm Subway? From a few episodes and CEOSS, I'd think the SS subway station wouldn't be that close to the Fix-It-Shop.
    If my memories are accurate... When the cast headed up by Olivia get back onto the main street from the ice-skating trip, they all come in from the right (our right) side of the screen, spilling out onto the familiar landmarks of their home. That makes me think the subway station entrance is located off to that side of the stage, stage left if you will... Maybe across the street? After all, rounding the corner past Big Bird's nesting area you have a few more apartments, the Furry Arms Hotel, Finders' Keepers, the Dance Studio, and the playground.

And then there's the SS Hospital, with its Fairy Tale wing... And the Storybook Community School... Both added in Seasons 34 and 36 respectively.
  6. doctort13

doctort13 Member

7. doctort13

doctort13 Member

8. The Count

Well... Rully wouldn't be able to appreciate the photos cause of the ol' blind batty eyes... But thanks for the new info.
  9. D'Snowth

The subway entrance has been next to the Fix-It-Shop/Mail-It-Shop ever since they got rid of around the corner.
  10. The Count

Hmmm... Thanks for that then. Guess it'll be another note of interest should any full-blown research on SS ever get done.
  11. D'Snowth

Here's a text diagram of the set of Sesame Street according to Caroll Spinney (from his book.)

When you enter the set of Sesame Street (I'm assuming it's actually the subway entrance because), the first thing you see is the Mail-It-Shop, then a tenament (according to Caroll) which is probably the door that leads to Bob's apartment, then Hooper's Store, then the arbor area, or as Caroll refers to it, "the community garden area" where you have a red apartment building, the carriage house which is now Gina's vet office, and another apartment wall (where Zoe and Telly live), then around the corner is the 123 brownstone, with Oscar's trashcan next to it, around the next corner is Big Bird's nest area, and finally across the street is the green screen/blue screen area, as well as enough space to shoot inserts like Ernie and Bert's apartment, or the Count's castle.
  12. The Count

Thanks for the info Snowthmeiser. Kinda makes me really want the SS figure license to get picked up and made a reality. Then again, I have some plans... Who knows if they'll ever get fully carried out. Only time will tell.
  13. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

Also Sesame Street is probably one of the few shows that you actually see the floor of the street in many shots. I think it's nice that we see that cobblestone design on the floor near the carriage house as well as the sidewalks. It's nice when the camera pans and you actually see the street from Oscars trash can all the way to the mail-it shop.

In real life, the entire street is just a pattern painted on a concrete floor.

Also the concrete floor is perfectly level and smooth. It's so smooth and level so that you don't hear the puppeteers rolling themselves across the floor on little wheeled carts.
  14. trevrook

trevrook New Member

I'm looking forward to the old episodes to come out on DVD. It will be interesting to see what changes in the buildings were made. I kind of miss the original look of Hopper's store.
  15. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Where is the library and the bike shop located?
  16. D'Snowth

Perhaps the library is on the other side of the street maybe? When did they have a bike shop?
  17. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

I may have mentioned this before in another topic.But in Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird,we actually saw the other side of the street for probably the first time.There was a jewelry shop and a few other stores directly across the street from 123.Beyond the Mail It Shop/Fix It Shop there appeared to be a fire hall.
    Do you suppose it may have been a different studio?
  18. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I think it actually was filmed at a Different studio.
  19. D'Snowth

Of course it was. The show is shot in a studio in Queens, New York. Follow That Bird was shot in Toronto, Canada, home of Canada's queen of comedy!
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

If it weren't for Canada we wouldn't have ever had Saturday Night Live, the majority of their cast came from there, didn't they?

I've always wished that there were a real street with buildings set up that way and had the same name in some city somewhere. Even if the characters weren't there--which they wouldn't be--it'd be cool to live there.

Painted concrete floors? They must do some major up-keep on those floors--the paint never smears or anything.