1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Chipmunks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yorick, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I'm hoping those lawsuits didn't actually happen, and they were just mentioned to make a point.:eek: Because after all, I really appreciate the contributions of Ross and Janice thus far, and have such fond memories of the 80's Chipmunks! (And of course I really love the originals, too! Ross Sr can't be underestimated!)

I love TMNT, I really love Fly Me To The Moon with the flys and wish that movie got more attention, and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEE The Raccoons! :)
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Exactly, they've been just about THAT sue-happy in the past few years or so. A lawsuit was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the trailer for Hop yesterday when I went to see Rango: even the production designing of the movie looked similar to the 2007 Chipmunks movie. It looks like a "cute" movie and all, but it doesn't seem very original at all; not just to the Chipmunks, but plotwise, the same old "I wanna break away from tradition and pursue my own goals and dreams, despite discouragement from family and loved ones".
  3. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Repetitive storylines are getting out of control, but if that's the story here, maybe it's told in a special way. And yes, it's cute for sure!

(How was Rango? It looks good, and as a fan of Harry Dean Stanton (voice of Balthazar in the movie) HDS being in it is a bonus! I know that sounds like it goes against my whole "only voice actors should do voices for animated films" but of course there are films I love where the voice acting was done by film actors, and I wouldn't change a thing about them. But there are many more where the film would be much better for me if they had voice actors do it, and the great thing would be that they'd get more work. But back to Rango :) Thanks!)
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It has the same director... they manage to make that abundantly clear in the trailer. If it had stayed the completely animated, it may have been cute. But it looks like they're using the same lame and overused "furry creature juxtaposition to a live action generic loser who want to fall in love" that was used in both Garfields, both Chipmunks, and Yogi Bear (which is why the movie sucked). The fact that he poops out jelly beans made me want to throw something at the screen and boo LOUDLY! I said this in the Smurf thread, but Tim Hill sure has a thing for characters eating fecal matter. "Relax Dave, it's just a raisin." I liked the first movie, but it REALLY didn't need that.

Rango is genius. Other than some... well... unfortunate jokes that can be shrugged off, it turns into a serious Western homage in time. I'm not completely sure, but I heard that they filmed Johnny Depp and some others before hand and THEN animated the film based on their movements and facial expressions. Much better than the lame (and thankfully dead) Zermekis motion capture bit.
  5. D'Snowth

One thing that's interesting though, that's sort of a dramatic reversal of all this...

Back in the mid 70s (I think), Ross Jr. actually collaborated with the creators of The Nutty Squirrels on new albums for that group... and it's crystal clear that The Nutty Squirrels were a knockoff of The Chipmunks, dating all the way back to when Ross Sr. first created them.

It makes you think if that was today, the only involvement Jr. would have with The Nutty Squirrels would be, of all things, a lawsuit for knocking off The Chipmunks.
  6. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

How true! And when I say that, I don't just mean Ross Jr. specifically, but anyone at all these days! That is interesting info!

I wonder what Ross Jr. thought of these albums by the Happy Chipmunks and the Happy Hamsters:
    http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2006/12/merry-christmas-from-happy-chipmunks.html

http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2007/01/happy-hamsters-go-ghostbustin.html

Without any more research, I'd assume the Christmas one came first, and then they decided (or were advised) to change "Chipmunks" to "Hamsters" for the next album. But maybe they're not related, I don't know.
  7. D'Snowth

The funny thing is when it actually comes to the name "The Chipmunks", I actually don't usually think of Alvin anyway... I think Chip n Dale.

Mainly because when I was a kid, I grew up with both, but by then, the cartoon series went into syndication and reruns, and went back to the original "Alvin and The Chipmunks" name, meanwhile, Chip n Dale were usually refered to either that, or casually as "The Chipmunks" (but I don't believe Disney ever officially marketed them as "The Chipmunks", but rather, "Chip n Dale").

So again, usually, if I don't hear "Alvin and" beforehand, then I think Chip n Dale.

But there's plenty of Chipmunk knock-offs out there... way back when the whole thing began, in addition to The Nutty Squirrels, there was also another knock-off band called The Grasshoppers (I guess because Buddy Holly's original backup band already used "The Crickets"); I haven't heard anything from The Grasshoppers, but I actually did see an album of theirs at Goodwill one time (because Goodwill actually sells VHSs, 8-tracks, audio cassettes, and LPs).
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  8. Drtooth

I actually HAVE those Grasshoppers. And guess what? it has 2 covers of actual Chipmunks songs on them... The Christmas song and Alvin's Harmonica.

Considering these are LEGAL records that use these songs, they clearly had to pay The actual creators for the usage of these songs...

sort of like those bad "Songs FROM Sesame Street:" albums, also from Peter Pan.

(Gaed, I hated their Yogi bear story album... none of the real voice actors were on it, and they used someone who NEVER EVER saw Yogi Bear make up bad squeaky voices).
  9. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Interesting how the Grasshoppers and the Happy Chipmunks cover the music of Chipmunks :)

Was one a Christmas album? Any other neat cover songs?

I also like Chip and Dale...both original cartoons from the early days (wish they were on Disney Channel regularly) and Rescue Rangers (wsh they were too).
  10. D'Snowth

You know, I never really put much stock in Wikipedia anyway, but I think something might be a little true after all, because here's what I found...

I was at the mall today, and stopped by Hallmark Store (mainly because I love all the Hoops & Yoyo stuff), where I saw some Chipmunks greeting cards... never really saw those before. Naturally, they were sound cards, one of which had their 2007 version of "Witch Doctor", and here's what I found interesting: on the back of the card, there were three different copyright disclaimers - one was said the movie was copyright by Twentieth Century Fox, the characters copyright by Bagdasarian Productions, and the "Witch Doctor" song copyright by Ross Bagdasarian, Carol Bagdasarian, and Adam Bagdasarian.

That last one was interesting, because according to Wikipedia, during the 80s, Ross Jr. and Janice Karman actually DIDN'T own the rights to the Chipmunks franchise, but rather, Ross Jr's brother Adam, and that by the 90s, Ross Jr. bought the rights from his brother.
  11. Drtooth

The Grasshoppers one was a Christmas album, naturally.. other than 2 Chipmunks covers everything was standard Christmas fare... nothing else interesting of note.

Actually, I still have a Chipmunks album that's still in the wrappings. I think it's a 1980's pressing, so I doubt it's worth all that much.
  12. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Thanks for the Grasshoppers info! Maybe I can find audio of it on the internet somewhere just out of curiosity, though I definitely trust your judgement that it's not gonna floor me to hear it.

I assume you mean a 1980's pressing of one of the original christmas albums, as opposed to Chipmunk Punk or Chipmunk Rock. I'd keep it if I were you, just because it's cool to have :)
  13. Drtooth

I mean the songs, though... quite frankly, I don't think it exactly would rival anything by the official band.

Which makes me wonder... when Peter Pan did the Songs from Sesame Street album, why on Earth did Children's Television Workshop give the music rights to someone releasing an inferior cover? That would be like Disney making their OWN crummy DTV clones of their own theatrical movies. Whoever in the Bagdasarian family who controlled the Chipmunks at the time did the same letting a copy band cover their songs. Just... weird is what that is.

And did you ever see the cover art for this stuff? Ugly beyond belief. When I saw Peter Pan's Sesame Street Disco cover record I was pretty disturbed by the look. Especially Donald Duck's androgynous cousin.

Nah, it's a 1980's pressing of "Chipmunks a Go-Go."
  14. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

You're right about the copy bands, it is strange! It means more fun for us, but I am amazed it was agreed to, in any case!

As for the artwork, I saw the covers for the Happy Hamsters and Happy Chipmunks LPs, and my post at 04-07-2011 02:45 PM in this thread has links where you can see those. I should print them out and frame them on my wall! :)

I searched for it and had a link here to download it, and I said, "Now you can hear the songs without opening the record" but the link didn't work. I'll look for another, thanks! It says the 80's pressing is missing 2 songs, FYI.
  15. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

16. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Meet Frankenstein song?

Does anyone have the song from "Meet Frankenstein"? It's called "If You Wanna Have Friends" - though I'll take any chipmunks music if anyone wants to trade!

I'll ask the mp3 sharing page if no Chipmunks fans answer here, but I thought I'd try here first :)

Thanks!
  17. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

18. D'Snowth

It would seem that movie #3 (Chipwrecked) is still on, despite 20th Century Fox having been sued by Bagdasarian Productions simply for announcing there's going to be a third movie.

From what I understand (just rumormill stuff here, mind you), that like the squeakquel, this is going to feature very little Dave, and very lot of loser nephew Toby (and a girlfriend of his apparently). I saw some behind-the-scenes/promoshots on an actual cruise ship, where they were using dolls and such as "stand-ins" for where they're going to animate the characters and such... in my opinion, if I were an actor on a movie set like that, interacting with an imaginary/animated character, I think I'd just as soon work WITHOUT any sort of "stand-in" like a doll or puppet or anything, I think having a doll/puppet there on the set would sort of break away from kind of creative/imaginative/spontaneous ad-libbing or anything... plus, people already think I'm weird for talking to myself anyway, imagine what people would say if they saw me talking to dolls. I get, though, that sometimes they HAVE to use dolls to make sure the actors' focus with where the animated characters are going to be remain consistence and realistic and everything.

By the way, does anyone besides me think that the posters for these movies look like they're designed and made by a lazy person? They keep using the exact same base models for the posters over and over again, and just basically change the wardrobe and maybe hand positions, and that's it.
  19. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I think it's pretty funny though! :) I mean, I won't shed tears for 20th Century Fox, after all. Their "modernizing" of these films is what made them not live up to the Chipmunks from the single of "The Chipmunk Song" up to "Alvin & The Mini-Munks". Now I know not everyone likes A&TMM due to the way it was aimed at babies. But still, it doesn't reek of the current slang, etc. And the characters were still likeable from the single of "The Chipmunk Song" to A&TMM, too. To me, anyway. But these new films...ugh. However, I hope they make a third one anyway, just because hey, they already tainted the thing (no matter how much money they made, that's not the point) so why not make another and keep the name out there, and hopefully after this trilogy is done they'll go back to how they were in the Meet Frankenstein and Wolfman movies).

Good points on the stand in dolls for the third CGI film, that their static-ness could hurt the performance even though you want them to get the eye levels right.

I agree on the posters totally!
  20. D'Snowth

I've seen little of the Mini-munks, but I did pretty much like what I did see... mainly because hey, it was puppets... and the characters looked great as puppets... I remember reading an interview with Ross Jr. (which seems to be lost now, I used to have the link), saying he was initially worried about the project beforehand, he saw the puppets in various stages of completetion, and likened the sight to roadkill, but was happy to see how the puppets turned out when they were completed. My only minor quibble with Mini-munks is that Ross and Janice obviously did NOT do the voices... most of the voices were off: Alvin sounded like an actual kid, Simon sounded older as a baby than he did as an eight-year-old, Jeanette sounded Dexter... and it still doesn't make sense that Eleanor was a baby, while the others were tots, considering they're only like five minutes apart from each other.

Well, five for the most part... apparently, there's ten minutes between Brittany and Jeanette, which makes the age order: Brittany, Alvin, Simon, Jeanette, Theodore, Eleanor.