The Cleveland Show likely to be cancelled

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I thought about when it comes to whether Cleveland will come back to Family Guy or not: There's one episode of Family Guy called "Jerome is the New Black", where the gang tries to find a replacement for Cleveland, and they end up finding a black guy named Jerome. The episode doesn't end with him leaving the group, but after that episode, Peter's circle of friends remained Quaigmire and Joe (and Brian, though he's not always part of that circle, and in fact Brian offered to be one of the main friends in that episode), and Jerome wasn't seen on the show again until last week, though not among Peter's circle of friends.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I basically see the obvious happening....

Cleveland comes back to the neighborhood with none of the characters from the show and gets deluged with a bunch of obvious jokes about how his show got cancelled.

And then Peter gets interested in something stupid for 5 minutes before the actual plot comes out.

Gotta love how Fox said "Let's wait till the end of the season and then pull the plug." and gave us an anticlimactic series ending.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Allen Gregory was a terrible show. Aside from the ugly character designs and the overuse of pastel colors (way to burn the eyes of everyone watching), none of the characters were remotely likable. We had either oblivious jerks or Deadpan Snarking jerks. it would have worked as a movie, I guess... but everything was completely unlikable, and is considered one of the worst cartoons of all time.

Napoleon was good, but it was the wrong venue and too many years have past of the film being relevant. When most animated versions of movies happen (and even then, they're usually for kids) they're within a year or two of the film. Somehow, I feel the show would have thrived on FX or some other cable venue, but it really didn't fit with the Simpsons/Family Guy vibe. I really think the show should have been given another chance on a cable network.

Now that Fox has cancelled Napoleon Dynamite, if it was to ever be resurrected, it might fit in well with CN's Adult Swim programming schedule.....

Meanwhile, I actually liked the animated Dilbert series, and would like to see that on Adult Swim, in the hopes that someone might resurrect it on CN:AS....

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Wasn't Napoleon Dynamite a summer replacement show anyway?

I loved the Dilbert cartoon. They did play it on Comedy Central weekend mornings; it could work on adult swim too, if they didn't spend so much time on the syndicated Fox stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wasn't Napoleon Dynamite a summer replacement show anyway?
I believe it was. It was a great cartoon, but they waited far too long for the characters to be relevant. Not quite as long as Spaceballs, which was time tested cult enough to get a series somehow. Not to mention it was on the wrong network. Napoleon Dynamite really should have been an FX/adult swim/Comedy Central show. It didn't fit in with the Seth MacFarline/Simpsons line up. Plus, Bob's Burgers was renewed, so there was no room on the schedule.

Allen Gregory, however, was a mercy killing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying Axe Cop right now. The plots and dialogue sound like they were written by a little kid (which they are), but it's hilarious if you keep that in mind. Malachai Nicolle must be pretty stoked to see his and his brother's webcomic get made into a TV series. :smile:

High School USA, on the other hand, is hit and miss. While I like the satire on issues relevant to teens such as bullying and sexting, and the atypical gang of kids as the main characters such as the bully who's in denial of being a bully, the crossing-the- line-multiple-times humor is not for everyone. But hey, it can't be as bad as Allen Gregory, right?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The story behind Axe Cop is absolutely heartwarming. An adult brother of a small child not only nurturing his creative instinct, but helping him out and getting it out to the public. That's amazing. The older brother finds the wacky fun in the project and doesn't dismiss it as some dumb thing a little kid did. The show itself is awesome, and plays like a Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo cutscene. But just that story of how it came to be is adorable. The kid even did commercials for the show dressed in character!

I agree about High School USA. There's potential in a cynical parody of Archie. Too bad that it's just so generic, and it seems more mean spirited than satirical. And not even fun mean spirited. Kinda lazy, cheap mean spirited. It's better than Allen Gregory, but Sit Down, Shut Up was a funnier show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well I just read that Cleveland will be returning to Family Guy along with his family. Not sure if the supporting cast will, but I could care less if they do. I wonder if it'll be a permanant change or if it'll just be a one-episode thing.

I recently read at TV Tropes that although Cleveland's personality has improved since the show began that whenever there's a Family Guy/Cleveland Show crossover he reverts back to his old Family Guy personality. I hope he keeps his Cleveland Show personality when he returns, or maybe has a little of both. Or maybe his old personality comes out more when he's with his old friends (or his newer one coming out more when he's with his new family).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cleveland had no personality. He was the token black guy and they treated him like it. His schtick was that he talked slow. It took them until the episode where Loretta was cheating with Quagmire to even get the character to emote.

Personally, I just want Cleveland and his family to stay in Stoolbend and only occasionally be referenced or a cameo. They just don't fit into the show's newfound "everyone is mean to each other" dynamic. We're going to hear the obvious lampshade hanging about them being cancelled jokes, and they already made them before the show's second season was over.

Xerus

Reaction score
I once heard that Seth was going to create a fourth cartoon series. Another cartoon family that would feature an obnoxious dad, a pretty wife, a rebellious teenage daughter, an awkward son, and two talking pets. He was going to call it, Family Gal.