The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I think a lot of women, at least here in the south (I was born in TN, lived a bit in MS, and moved to TX) equate babies like they equate their men ... an opportunity for "love".
That must be it, 'cause I live in the south naturally, so maybe that's why it seems like most women, to me, do want to have kids, lol. Heck, my mom's already picking out names for my kids and I'm not even with a girl.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Valentines Day is pretty meaningless to me.

As a kid I was always burdened by it in school by having to give out those little cards to everyone in class. They had a rule that you had to give one to everyone so there wouldn't be any poor Charlie Browns who got none.

Problem is there were always people in class that I didn't want to give a card to. Don't misjudge me, I wasn't the mean one. I didn't want to give them cards because they were always mean to me. I would purposely give them generic cards that simply said "Happy Valentines Day" or if I was feeling generous I'd make a peace offering with "Let's be friends"

As an adult who's single and likely to remain so it just serves as a reminder that I am single and likely to remain so. Can't even really enjoy it as a candy day since I hate those stupid little chalky hearts.

"These candy hearts are chalky and unpleasant!"
"And what is this emotion you humans call 'wuv'?"
"Surely it says 'love'."
"No, 'wuv' with an Earth W."
"This concept of 'wuv' confuses and angers us!"

The real pain this year is there are three movies coming out Valentines Day weekend that I want to see but am too self conscious to show up alone at the theater for. On a normal day it doesn't matter. Then again considering how many people will be out then perhaps it's better I don't go anyway.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
After three years in a committed relationship, I have once again become a bachelor and actually find it comfortably liberating. The break-up was since last fall, but this is the first Valentine's Day since. I'm still friendly with my ex, but have plenty of my own friends to soak-up my time. It's a lot less time consuming now that I don't have to hand make a card or rearrange my schedule to insure a romantic evening.

Valentines is what you want it to mean. To me it's about friends. Love has a pesky way of not keeping a schedule and it will find you when you're off doing other things. So that's where I'll be. Off with friends doing other things. :embarrassed::smile::concern:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And that brings to mind yet ANOTHER reason why I want avoid getting into a relationship... exes.

I know nothing good lasts forever, but the way I see it, I wouldn't want to hook up with someone, breakup, hook up with someone else, break up again, find yet another someone, so on and so on.

I'm sure there's not a single person out there who's only been in one relationship their entire life... I don't even know how I want to word my point, but I'd just as soon be able to find my soul mate, and that be the one and only relationship I'd be in for the rest of my life.

But since there's no one out there for me, and I don't go looking around, I guess I don't have to worry about anything irregardless.

Convincing John

Reaction score
You know, after christmas was finished, I saw a bunch of valentines day stuff. I will never figure out why it's always good for a retail store to put out junk for the next holiday months before.
It happens year round. Especially before Christmas.

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Haven't had cream eggs in a long time, but I love 'em! :insatiable:
CremeEggs? They're not bad. I like the commercials for 'em better than I do the actual candy. (Buck-buck-buck-buck-buck-buck-buck-buck-buck-buck).

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
I'm sure there's not a single person out there who's only been in one relationship their entire life... I don't even know how I want to word my point, but I'd just as soon be able to find my soul mate, and that be the one and only relationship I'd be in for the rest of my life.
Well...I do know of one person. It happened a long time ago, but he did only know one person he was in a relationship with. he dated her, got engaged and married her. He's my grandpa. Believe it or not, he and Grandma were married 62 years. (Would've been 63 this year, but Grandma passed away in September).

Will Grandpa get married again? Nope. He has no interest in it.

But since there's no one out there for me, and I don't go looking around, I guess I don't have to worry about anything irregardless.
I used to think the exact same thing. I tell you, I was Boober Fraggle for years and years. I was ten times as lonely and depressed as he was.

BUT...I decided at one point just to try my luck, throw my hat into the ring, so to speak, and believe me, I was completely pessimistic.

However, like a bolt from the blue, I found my special someone. I never, ever thought it would happen in a million years. Never. But despite what I believed, there she is! (In fact, I posted in this thread earlier and my old opinion's in there somewhere).

"Keep believing...":smile:

Convincing John

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
Valentine's Day to me can only be expressed in a quote from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
"Valentine's Day is a holiday invented by greeting card companies..... to make people feel like crap."

My whole thing is that why do we need a special day for people who are lucky enough (or stupid enough.. take your pick) to have a significant other to express their "undying love for each other". Shouldn't couples and loved ones be doing that every other day of the year anyway?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well...I do know of one person. It happened a long time ago, but he did only know one person he was in a relationship with. he dated her, got engaged and married her. He's my grandpa. Believe it or not, he and Grandma were married 62 years. (Would've been 63 this year, but Grandma passed away in September).

Will Grandpa get married again? Nope. He has no interest in it.
Wow... that's actually a rather heart-tugging little story... there must have been something so special about your grandma that your grandpa saw in her.
I used to think the exact same thing. I tell you, I was Boober Fraggle for years and years. I was ten times as lonely and depressed as he was.

BUT...I decided at one point just to try my luck, throw my hat into the ring, so to speak, and believe me, I was completely pessimistic.

However, like a bolt from the blue, I found my special someone. I never, ever thought it would happen in a million years. Never. But despite what I believed, there she is! (In fact, I posted in this thread earlier and my old opinion's in there somewhere).

"Keep believing...":smile:

Convincing John
Well, it's not that I'm being pessimistic, or that I would be depressed or anything, I just have a LONG list of why I know no girl in her right mind wouldn't want to be with me, and it all mostly boils down to my work as a puppeteer and me being the president of my own company - I would be busy most of the time, and hardly have any time to devote to a mate, which would make her absolutely miserable, and she's leave me eventually anyway.

"Valentine's Day is a holiday invented by greeting card companies..... to make people feel like crap."
I'll buy that!

My whole thing is that why do we need a special day for people who are lucky enough (or stupid enough.. take your pick) to have a significant other to express their "undying love for each other". Shouldn't couples and loved ones be doing that every other day of the year anyway?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, yeah. Matter of fact, Dr. Oz has this three step experiment to keeping a relationship (specifically marraige) happy and healthy...
1. 10 minutes of conversation everyday that has nothing to do with work, kids, etc.
2. 10 minutes three times a week of kissing and cuddling.
3. Schedule sex at least once a week.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Just to sum all my thoughts up in one sentence: I think, therefore I am single.