1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"The Doozers" preschool series under development

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Traveling Matt, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Traveling Matt New Member

L.A.-based The Jim Henson Company has teamed up with Toronto's Decode Entertainment to bring beloved Fraggle Rock characters The Doozers to life in a 3-D animated preschool series that the pair plans to unveil at MIPTV.

Anyone familiar with the calypso-tinged strains of the theme to Jim Henson's much-loved early '80s puppet series Fraggle Rock should recall the tiny hardhat-clad characters that toiled tirelessly in the background, building miniature structures ultimately gobbled up by the much larger Fraggles. In this series, those wee workers known as the Doozers have been cast into the spotlight and will take on their construction work above ground. Moreover, underpinning the show that focuses on a trio of new apprentice Doozers - named Baxter, Puzzlebea and Daze, who learn through teamwork and cooperation - is a curriculum built around green technology and eco consciousness.

"The curriculum is related to our other science shows," says TJHC co-CEO Lisa Henson, "but it's oriented toward ecological concepts and ways of thinking about re-use, waste, economizing and limiting our ecological footprint." To help craft the curriculum, Decode EVP of production and development Beth Stevenson says her team, which is heading up production efforts in Toronto, has brought in an advisor who specializes in green building practices. "He's a civil engineer from the University of Toronto whose input brings a whole other level to the scripts," she says. "He turned us on to the notion of vertical building and has introduced us to futuristic, enviro-friendly tools that we have versioned for the Doozers."

As for the business nuts and bolts, TJHC and Decode have set the budget at US$300,00 per half hour for the 52 x 11-minute series and have moved into pre-production and are testing animation. Decode Enterprises is handling worldwide distribution outside the US, while Henson looks after global L&M activities. The pair is currently gauging broadcast interest and looking for presales to kick the project into full production by fall 2009 for a 2010 delivery.

http://www.kidscreen.com/articles/news/20090324/doozers.html
  2. Traveling Matt New Member

The front page of the website, www.kidscreen.com, currently offers a look at a CG Doozer from the new series.

Hopefully this will be a success and may create more permanent brand strength and awareness, in addition to contributing positive synergy to the film.
  3. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

First CGI Twiddlebugs, now CGI Doozers? Well, it might work well...
  4. Traveling Matt New Member

5. Colbynfriends Active Member

You never know. I think this sounds kind of interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us, I can't wait to see what develpos.
  6. Redsonga Active Member

Eeek! They look scary :confused:! I dunno, I am not fan of the doozers but at least I thought they looked cute in Fraggle Rock...These new ones, not so much, even for CGI...
  7. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

LOL ... I'll have to get used to the Charlie-Brown-esque-won't-your-head-fall-off thing. I was kind of surprised about the names. I thought the running gag with Doozers was using tech names ... could they be named after buildings or something? It took awhile in the FR series for the writers to seem to enjoy writing the Doozers. It's nice to see (finally) an attempt to bring them out as much as the Fraggles and Gorgs. They shouldn't be boring just because they like to work instead of playing around. Our country barely has a work ethic as it is. A little Doozer-morality won't kill us. :)

edit: Ya know, I don't recall seeing antennae on that pic...
  8. KingMokey New Member

Great, just what we need from Henson. More of the "hey, remember this? You used to like this!" that I'm used to, with surprise surprise, NO puppetry involved. I'm beginning to think more and more that this is Henson's long-term plan, to completely phase out puppetry from its core programming. Puppeteers are expensive, let's move more toward 3D animation, which is less expensive!

Sorry to be so negative (and in my first post! where are my manners), but this new prospect of a Doozers show frightens me. For two reasons, one because I love the original Fraggle Rock so much, and two because I'm sorry I have NO confidence in Henson in its current state to produce anything that will live up to the beauty and charm and legacy of the original material. Feel bad saying it like that, but that's the facts.
  9. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I wonder if we'll see some Fraggle cameos in the show.
  10. Traveling Matt New Member

Considering how environmentalism is a major theme of this show, I think it sounds promising and could certainly parallel the original series while speaking to our world now. It's one of the few JHC concepts that really seems like something Jim would do today. I wish them luck.

I guess this must be the television project mentioned in a recent press release. Since it sounds like it might come before the movie, it's possible this will be the first new Fraggle material in nearly twenty-five years. I'm all for it, even if they do need to add antennae.
  11. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure you're not the only one rolling your eyes at CGI. However, does that really get rid of puppetry? One of the newer documentaries I've seen had the Henson folks use motion-capture to animate their CGI stuff and also waldo-like devices to animate faces. So, technically, puppetry is still a factor, at least the way they do it.
  12. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Doozers easily lend themselves to CG so I'm not upset. I just hope that the Fraggle mythology remains adequately intact and that the writing is kept universally appealing rather than Barneyfied. I also hope the top-heavy Doozer design is tweaked a little, textures are added and quality is a priority (not to mention voice casting). :busy:
  13. Colbynfriends Active Member

I hope so, that'd be neat. :excited:
  14. a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Ohhh sweet news! :) looking forward to his NEW DOOZER show :)
  15. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I thought it was the other way around. Regarding 3D animation being less expensive than puppeteers.
  16. Redsonga Active Member

It's the nose..I can handle the big head but everything is off center and squished looking:eek:. I have nothing against CGI doozers if they look like doozers and not sea sick ant...thingies:o.
  17. The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Wow, this certainly does look exciting.
  18. heralde Well-Known Member

Honestly, the face looks off to me. And I do think CGI is being used too much when it's not always reliable and when other technologies would still work fine. But I'd have to see it in motion.
  19. Kiki Active Member

Lol, I've always found The Doozers to be kinda boring but this is a rather cute concept. Younger generations will discover FR, as well.
  20. beaker Well-Known Member

Whoah, wasn't expecting this. Well I for one hope the "Cgi" Jim Henson Muppet type shows for kids do well, be it this or Sid the Science Kid or Skrumps.

That'd be a trip if this actually takes off, ala Dora Explorer or Veggietales. Definitely did not expect Fraggle Rock to come back to television in any form.

Im starting to realize that in the long run, the Muppet sell to Disney was in hindsight a *good* thing. As Jim Henson Company can focus on the cgi kid shows, Fraggle Rock movie, Dark Crystal 2, the Puppet Up/HA movie, and everything else.