The Fanfic Research Thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, depends. If it's a monster that resembles a Frackle and is generally held in the "utility player" category, then yeah, Frackle as a last name is token.
Other times, people add last names to characters out of the blue, like Winslow Leach naming the Newsman as Aloycius Crimp and it's stuck from there as evidenced in newsmanfan's fic series.

Hope this helps. :wisdom:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
But it's such a PERFECT name for him...and I purposely mispronounce it to differentiate him from Snuffy, who really IS an Aloysius! :news:

I'm with Ed. Wouldn't go with Frackle unless the character actually is sort of Fracklish. Check the Muppet Wiki entry for that. The new monster J G, as seen in the "making of" featurette for the new film, is definitely a Frackle -- it's all about the toothy beak.
-------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Okay, I wasn't sure if there was a convention for naming or not. I thought of a good middle name for him last night, so I'll start brainstorming for a last one then. Thank you.

Hubert

Reaction score
OK...I need some help here regarding character appearances in the Jim Henson Hour MuppeTelevision segments:

1. Other than the Merlin the Magician segments, did Rowlf have any other roles on the show? Like a backstage role or anything? Or were his appearances pretty much exclusive to Merlin?

2. I know Link appeared in some episodes, what exactly did he do?

3. Scooter did not appear in any JHH episodes, correct?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Hubert.

1 Yeah, Rowlf was pretty much only seen in the Merlin, Magical MD sketches on JHH.
2 Link appeared in The Ratings Game (Episode 5) as the prototypical star he often thinks himself as, falling prey to the Response-O-Matic TV reprogrammer, throwing him into various classic TV scenarios one after the other such as soap opera husband, game show contestant, and police officer opposite Gonzo in both the latter two; and in Health & Fitness (Episode 7) as part of the main plot where he believes to have come down with a dire life-threatening case of Canadian Swine/Snout Fever.
3 No, Scooter didn't appear in JHH, his role of Kermit's assistant was taken over by Vicki.

Hope this helps.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
So I'm trying to get a few more "letters" done for my Dear Muppet Fanfiction Authors...erm...fanfic, and I'm a little stuck. I have plans for Fozzie, the Newsman, Pepe and Janice/Floyd but I don't know what to write.

Well, okay I kinda have it planned. With the Newsman, I wanted to do a news report covering fanfiction and then *spoiler* he gets squished at the end. With Pepe, someone suggested that he could request starring in an extravagant adventure that totally romanticies him, but I also like the idea about him being creeped out by it all.

So yeah, anyone got any sort of advice, I'd be totally grateful!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, dunno. Seems like you're on your way with the additions you want to make. Perhaps an idea is to just continue having the Muppets (in character) responding to the various fics that deal with each of them whenever possible?

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Sorry, what I forgot to say that while a have a vague idea of what I want, I still don't know how to word it.

Hubert

Reaction score
I need a lawyer.

But seriously (and that sort of was), this isn't really a Muppet related question, but I thought I'd park this here anyhow in case someone would be willing to help me out. You see, I started a new fanfic (A Little Thing Called Fate), except I need help with a few legal things regarding the story, as to if someone could get arrested for doing something, etc. So if you happen to be any sort of expert on law, and not reading the story (or reading it but don't care if it gets spoiled for you a little), please, please PM me.

But in fact, here's another question, Muppet-related this time. Has Rowlf ever had any major friendships with character? Like, I know he has been good friends with many Muppets, but did he ever have a Sweetums/Robin or Kermit/Fozzie type friendship with anyone? I know you might be able to consider Baskerville as one in the early years, but does anyone know of any others?