The first ever MopFam Fic: Mother's story!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Superb! To think... Now we have a full subplot, what with Moppet reporting to Christy/Nicki the She-Devil of the Seven Seas.
Just don't let him off too easy there girly.

This is great stuff, wonder what'll happen in the next chapter.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Um Christy... Was wondering... Could we please get that next chapter?

Beauregard

Reaction score
She's rarely here. She'll post it first chance she gets, i know!

christyb

Reaction score
Chapter Nine

Moppet approached the door hesitantly and opened it. He was five minutes early after all. However, after all the ribbing from his new shipmates he didn’t want to take any chances. Not to mention he felt foolish in his new clothing. His captains attire had been replaced with the simple uniform of a common sailor. His shirt was Matty’s extra gray one that fit a little tighter than it should, and the pants were Big Tom’s bright blue and two sizes too big. The only thing keeping them up was a string of twine Bill had given him. Moppet did put his foot down in insisting that his own boots would suffice. Even Mac’s eyes twinkled as he approached the door. Surely this girl wasn’t as terrible as they put on. Surely he that wasn’t mirth that he saw in their eyes. His heart pounded in at what lay behind the door. Moppet placed his hand on the door and with a sigh walked in.

“Sailor why don’t you go out and try that again? Didna anyone teach ya manners? Knock before enterin’ your Captain’s cabin. Let Big Tom know you‘ll be takin‘ his place in the nest tonight,” Nicky said from her position at her desk. She never even looked up from her work but patiently waited for him to leave and come back.

Sheepishly he backed up and turned to face his waiting audience. As soon as the door clicked every hand on deck burst out in loud riotous guffaws. Big Tom yelled from his spot repairing ropes, “Fergot to knock didn’t ya? Hey boys, seems like the new kid don‘t know the ropes. Lemme guess Moppet I‘m off the midnight shift tonight?”

“How’d ya guess?” Moppet asked feeling the blush rise up his neck.

“That’s because it’s punishment number one around here. You’re late Moppet and I don’t like being kept waiting. After I’m finished with you, you can help Big Tom with the ropes. Then you can go down to the galley and peel potatoes for our supper and eat your hardtack. Tell Cookie I sent ya. Afterwords, ya can round up some rum for that no good friend of yourn. He’s hollerin’ somethin’ awful down there. If that isn’t enough to occupy your time until your shift then see Mac. There’s plenty around here that needs doin, sailor’.” Nicky said walking out on deck with her hands on her hips. Then she turned on her heel and went back into her office, “And you can get your skinny butt in this office…NOW!!”

This only sent the crew into another fit of laughter. All of them had been subject to new guy treatment. Matty looked at Moppet with sympathy, “Boy does she really has it in for you. No sleep and the late watch. Try not to slip up for the rest of the day.”

“However, knowing our good Cap’n ya never know what a slip up will be!” Big Tom said with another laugh.

With his face ashen and his shipmates laughing, Moppet turned and entered the office. Once again Nicky sat at the desk marking in her log and ledger. Looking up she calmly said, “Shut the door. You’ve given the boys enough amusement for today, sailor. Take a seat, I don‘t bite too, hard.”

Moppet sat down in the chair beside the desk and she turned to face him. It was obvious that she too was holding back laughter. From the corner of the room came a giggle of a little child, “Momma he looks funny. Where he get them clothes? I bet he can’t even gully a fish, Momma.”

“Vician David, you keep your mouth shut. Now off with ya, go see if Mac needs helpin’.” With that the child stood up and bounded out of the room as fast as his three year old legs could carry him. If the goal of this woman was to humiliate him then she was doing a good job of it.

Despite admonishing her young child, the boy was right. The man that sat awkwardly beside her looked ridiculous. Including the fact that she just dished out two punishments to him. A schoolboy caught being naughty couldn’t be a deeper shade of red. If she was still in school she would have thought him cute. Instead the giggle she was holding back escaped, “Excuse me sailor but the boy is right. Without a doubt you look a far cry from the pompous captain that you were a while ago.”

“My lady, if you’re serving me humble pie you’re doing a good job of it. Now why did you ask to see me?” Moppet shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

“I never intended too. Please accept my apologies. However, Moppet a lesson I learned from you is this. Never get too confident because that’s when you get knocked the lowest.” She said and rose from her chair. Placing her hands behind her back she paced the room thoughtfully. “You see around here you’re the low man on the totem pole. It’ll be a far cry from what you’re used too. By now surely you’ve realized that I don’t have cabin boys. Therefore the menial tasks are dished out at my whim. We all help each other and things run smoothly. That and no one escapes watching Vic.”

“I see. It’s almost as if bein’ a cabin boy agin.” Moppet said thoughtfully watching here.

“Aye that it will be.” Nicky turned and eyed him thoughtfully. Already this person had impressed her. First off he stood up to her. Now he was willing to obey her. There was some kind of connection between him and her. She could feel it. What it was she didn’t know. There was only one way to find out. She crossed back over to her desk and rummaged through a few drawers.

After a moment and the scattering of several papers she procured a small vial. For a moment she looked at it curiously and thought. Then she turned and once again eyed the sailor sitting. “All right sailor, I want you to drink this. Be careful and only take half. For the whole dose will be too much for a softy like you.”

“Are you implyin’ that I’m soft-hearted and easy!” Moppet stood and roared.

“Calm down sailor. Compared to me ya are a teddy bear. Now do as I say and drink. I’ll warn ya. It’s vile stuff.” She waited as he tipped the bottle and took half the strange liquid. At his face she smiled and took the bottle. Then she quickly poured the remainder down her own throat. “Terrible stuff ain’t it sailor? Ol’ family recipe of mine. It’s powerful in both taste and effect. One of these days I’ll do somethin’ about that awful….” Nicky stopped in mid sentence when she saw Moppet’s eyes grow wide. She turned around to see her fairy godmother. “Yer too late Angie. I’ve already had a bottle and a half o’ the stuff. The sailor here has had his dose too.”

“A bottle and a half! Surely there’s a way to reverse the spell. You can’t even think about attaching yourself to…to him!” Angie hovered in the air and pleaded.

Moppet was thoroughly confused stared at the fairy and asked, “Would someone explain what’s going on here?”
“Time will tell sailor…time will tell. This I’ll give ya. There are some in this world who are gifted with special abilities. Angie there is one of them. I’m another. You, sailor, are not. With my hard head and heart, if’n I still have one that is, I needed more than most would. None of this matters now. Why are you still in my office? You have duties to attend to sailor. So outta my sight!” Nicky barked and Moppet left. He did not need a second lesson. In this short time as a crew member he had learned. When Nicky said something you obeyed without a second thought or hesitation.

“Can’t you take the other potion? You Cole’s are famous for it. I know it works. For once, listen to your fairy godmother. I know what’s best for you!” Angie waved her wand in the air and demanded.

“Angie calm down. There is no other potion, and I’m not making any.” Nicky said staring at the door in which Moppet had left. Then her voice grew quiet and her face withdrew to a million miles away, “Besides, I think the old fool is growing on me. Yeah, he’s growing on me.”

“You’re going to regret this someday,” Angie warned quietly.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes! Excellent! Bravo!

"Calm down sailor. Compared to me ya are a teddy bear."

Ok..never heard Father called a Teddy Bear before...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Drinks in the chapter. Aaaaaah, that's better.
Thanks for placating me thirst fer yer story mam.

Adam, hollering outwards so his daughters hear him: NEWWWWW CHAAAAAAAAPTEEEEEERRRR!!
*Three little balls of whizzing wind rush in. Are you comfy my dearies? OK, then listen to this...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Tabby: He looks so funny!

Kelly: Really funny!

Ann: Did they just... start falling in love?

Tabby: I don't know, but he looks funny!

Beauregard

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Tabby: He looks so funny!

Kelly: Really funny!

Ann: Did they just... start falling in love?

Tabby: I don't know, but he looks funny!
Father: Gee thanks...
Moppet: Actually, you do look rather ridiculous.
Father: That's you...
Moppet: Eer...

christyb

Reaction score
Chapter Ten

Days grew into weeks and weeks into months. Long ago the time for the bet had passed. For some reason, neither Moppet nor Nicky said a word. Sure enough he had grown to respect his new captain. In more ways than one he’d learn to depend on her. His shipmates now claimed him as one of their own. In this unconventional world he had been adopted into time didn’t really pass by. There was only each other and the ships they plundered.

Moppet soon learned that no one on board really cared about the gold. They all were after the thrill. The adrenaline rush that appeared with an unsuspecting ship on the horizon. Little did Moppet know that he too was beginning to get that old itch back. If Hevej could see him now he’d call him crazy. Then again before they dropped off that man he was ranting and raving that Nicky was the devil and he should escape as soon as he could. There was no telling what she had done to the man. Probably some hocus pocus nonsense. His problem was that, he didn’t want to leave.

Perched upon the side of the ship Moppet whistled and returned to the piece of wood he was whittling. He still had some time until he was on duty and sleep didn’t suit him at this moment. A tug at his pant’s leg brought his gaze down to the small boy watching him. Vic was more like a pet to everyone on board than a small boy. Nodding he acknowledged the young toddler as he once again pulled on his leg, “Now what are ya after boy? Can’t ya see I’m busy?”

“Momma said ya should wear a shirt. She don’t cotton to lobsters for sailors,” Vic climbed uninvited onto his lap and mimicked. The lad was smarter and more advanced than most four year olds. However, half the time he had no idea what he was really saying.

Moppet chuckled and put an arm to steady the boy. The remark sounded just like Nicky. She threw a fit when he discarded the small shirt Matty had given him. Not that he was the only hand that went without one. By now he had grown used to being the brunt of Nicky’s sharp tongue. For some reason her whims landed on him. All that didn‘t matter. He liked the extra attention he got. “Aye and ye should always listen to yer Mother boy. Don’t want to wind up lookin’ like a lobster do ya?”

“No he doesn’t nor do I like my sailors bein’ struck with cancer. Havena I told ya to wear a shirt on that back, Sailor?” Nicky walked up to the pair and admonished.

“Lemme go on the next run and I’ll get me a shirt more fittin’ Cap’n.” Moppet retorted and didn’t look up. By this time the had let the boy take his knife and chip away at the wood with his larger hands guiding. The name “Sailor” was another thing he had grown used to. Matty quickly told him that they all had other names. Upon joining Nicky’s crew she quickly used a different one. Most of the time her name fit the person better and stuck quicker than any other.

The wind had picked up and Nicky looked about anxiously. She didn’t let her crew know that she had that feeling. Something was amiss. Already she had cast a spell on the ship anchoring it to the spot that it stood. Mac said it was crazy, but she didn’t want to take any chances. The sky was darkening by the minute and she knew a powerful storm was on it’s way, “Sailor, I didna come over here to chit chat. You see them clouds? They have a lot of pent up anger that’s gonna let loose at any moment. The next few hours ain’t gonna be pretty. I’m takin’ my kid and securing him below. I want you to take over the helm. Now you hold that wheel rock steady understand? Don’t move us about, it’ll only make things worse.”

“One question Cap’n, have you taken other measures to secure the ship?” Moppet asked. He was implying at the fact she had magic. Disappearing was her trademark. No matter how invisible he always could feel when she was near. He knew every now and then Nicky got these hunches. Most of the time they were right.

Nicky sighed and looked straight into his eyes, “I’ll do anythin’ to keep my men alive. Now move we don’t have much time.”

Moppet watched as Nicky took a grumbling Vic and carried him below. Much to his amazement the minute she disappeared below rain began to fall. Bolting to his feet he ran to the helm and relieved Mac. Mac turned and began barking orders. The wind began to blow in gales and the rain came down in one solid sheet. Thunder echoed above their heads as lightning illuminated the ominous dark clouds.

After tying her son to a post below, Nicky ran up on deck and joined the others. For a split second she gasped in shock at the seeping cold of the rain. “Drop that anchor, lower those sails! Brace yourself boys, Mother Nature has it in for us tonight!” She yelled above the wailing wind. Joining a group of men pulling down the mainsail she watched in terror at the enormous wall of swirling midnight blue falling angrily. “Hit the deck!” she screamed and dropped to her stomach. The bitter cold force of the wave picked her up and threw her around. When she finally opened her eyes she could see the crow’s nest coming up to meet her.

Nicky instinctively reached out to grab the railing. Instead her hands met rope and she swung down to the waiting crew below. Above the wind, rain, and the newest addition hail she heard Big Tom scream in her ear, “Good to see ya alive Cap’n!”

“Ya think a little ol’ storm is gonna rid the world of someone as ornery as me?” She laughed and said. Big Tom joined her and looked expectantly. Nicky knew if they hoped to survive this they’d have to go below. Silently she sent up a prayer for her spell to work. Turning around she screamed as loud as she could, “All hands below deck. We’re gonna hafta just wait this one out. I repeat all hands below.” The dripping men made their way slowly below. Nicky counted to make sure everyone had descended. As a good captain she wouldn’t go herself until everyone was down.

Nicky looked about. One was missing. Turning frantically left and right she looked for any sign of the missing man. The storm continued to increase in fury. Another wave racked the ship and threw her down on her stomach. Pushing herself back up she looked up at the helm. “Stubborn man,” she muttered and struggled to get to the wheel. “Sailor, what in tarnation do you think you’re doin’? I said all hands below!”

“Nicky someone has to stay here and you know it. I’ve got no one to worry about. You have a little boy down there to take care of. Now get below deck!” Moppet looked at her with the rain streaming down his face.

“Moppet, I’ve never lost a man yet due to a storm and I ain’t doin’ so now. If’n ya won’t get below deck I’ll put you in my cabin and tie you up myself!” Nicky yelled back staring into his eyes. Her determination was immense. There was no way she was going to let him die. Heaven forbid, she admit it aloud but she needed this foolhardy man.

“You’ll do no such thing, woman!” Moppet screamed over the crashing waves and wailing wind. With a swift move he broke off a piece of wood from the ship and jammed the wheel. Then he turned to her and looked at her. She looked more like a drowned rat.

“You wouldn’t dare. Touch me and I’ll make your life miserable.” Nicky screamed as he hoisted her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Moppet walked the two steps and kicked in the door. Just then a sickening crack was heard. He set her down as they both turned to watch the mast come down where they both had stood. Moppet crossed and closed the door.

“Now ya done it. If’n ya learned to obey orders we would be stuck in here together!” Nicky sneered between chattering teeth.

“Bah, high time for you to be worried ‘bout what is proper,” Moppet turned to look at her. Nicky stood there water dripping off her body. Her clothing was soaked through and stuck closely to her body. The bandana had been torn off in the storm; her hair hung limp around her face. If looks could kill then he’d be a dead man with those eyes of hers spelling hatred. “Ya got some extry clothes or somethin’ you’re gonna catch yer death standin’ there like thet,” he growled uncomfortably.

“No, I don’t. I have one set just like my men,” Nicky stated flatly at the man in front of her. She was losing control of the situation. Control was one thing that Nicky prided in. Without it she felt lost and afraid.

Moppet turned around in an attempt to stop his wandering eyes, “Excuse me Cap’n but yer fergettin’ the fact that yer not a man.” He looked around frantically and spotted a blanket.

Nicky’s eyes danced in amusement. She watched him walk past her and grab the blanket off her bed. Not a sound echoed other than the raging storm outside. He crossed back over and gently wrapped the blanket around her. Methodically he rubbed her arms to get the blood going again. Finally she manage to look him in the eye and mumble, “Thank ya. You didn’t have to do that.”

“I wanted to. Yer not as hard-hearted as ya let on Nicky,” Moppet said placing a finger under her chin.

“You let anyone know and I’ll skin you alive,” she said in an attempt to intimidate him.

“Try an’ scare me all ya want, woman. I’ve been waiting fer this chance since I was sixteen. Believe me Nicky you can‘t stop me,” Moppet said pulling her close to him.

“Beau, don’t” Nicky managed to mumble. He didn’t listen though. He wrapped his arms tightly around her tiny waist. Time stopped as she raised her face to meet his in their first kiss.

Outside the cabin the storm had stopped. The rest of the crew had seen the fallen mast and set to work removing it. After a few minutes they had moved the mast enough for someone to go and check the cabin. Mac climbed over the overgrown tree trunk and opened the door. He smiled knowingly upon seeing the two enjoying themselves inside. Quietly he cleared his throat to make his presence known.

Moppet pulled back slightly and groaned at the interruption. “Yer Cap’ns busy. Start cleanin’ up the mess and maybe I’ll let her join ya in a few,” he growled slightly towards whoever was at the door.

“No, Mac…we were just uhh..er…ummm…” Nicky flushed bright red and began.

“No need Cap’n. I’ll tell the boys you is busy. Take good care of her ya hear boy? Ifn ya don’t there’s a whole passel o’ people out here who’ll have yer hide,” Mac chuckled and shut the door.

“Don’t worry I will,” Moppet replied.

“I should say I get a say in this! Let me go you overgrown pup!” Nicky turned a deeper shade of red and feeble attempted to wiggle her way out of Moppet’s embrace.

“Not in this life Nicky. Ifn ya promise not to use any more hocus pocus on me; I’ll promise to be a good little boy,” Moppet caressed her face and softly replied.

“You’ll leave the sea? Leave piracy behind?” Nicky asked hopefully.

“Aye, I will. Can’t ya see I love ya, you foolish she-devil?” Moppet playfully growled and spun her about.

Nicky just laughed and threw her arms tighter around him. Moppet gazed down at her tenderly. They’d find a preacher as soon as they got to a port. They’d have a house, a dog, and maybe a couple more kids. Christy had never been happier in her life. She sighed happily as Moppet tilted her head upward to kiss her again. In her head she made a mental note to thank her brother. She should have listened to him long ago…

Epilogue

Beauregard Moppet entered the quiet house and looked around. Here he was planning on surprising his wife by coming home early. Now he couldn’t find her anywhere. He ascended the stairs and went into the nursery. However, she wasn’t in there. At least the twins were being good for a change. They almost looked cute sleeping there peacefully. He turned back into the hallway and saw the attic steps down.

Upon entering the attic he saw her sitting there with an old lamp and her sea chest. Sprawled about were old clothing, maps, a pistol, and her favorite sword. He placed a hand on her shoulder and sat down beside her, “Now what’s all this for?”

“Oh hi, I didn’t hear you come in. You’ll never guess who showed up on the doorstep today,” Mother picked up an old photograph and looked up at her husband.

“Hmmm…I give up who?” he asked taking the picture from her hands.

“Big Tom and Matty that’s who. I guess just seeing those two set me to thinkin’. Kinda silly of me to come up here and drag all this old junk up, huh?” she looked up and asked.

He chuckled softly gazing at their wedding picture. The photo had browned with age. A flood of memories came back to Father as he peered into it. A young couple stood side by side. On the man’s shoulders was a small towheaded boy smiling. The kids didn’t know they were married at sea both looking like the scallywags they once were. They did really make a “fine lookin’ family” as Matty said that day. Looking back at his wife he kissed her gently on the forehead and began putting things away. “Ya know one of these days we’ll have to tell the kids the real story.”

“Hey, I happen to like those fake pictures of me in a white dress downstairs,” she said teasingly and helped him shut the trunk, “Besides do ya think they’re ready for the truth?”

Then a voice called from the attic door, “Hey, Mom can Kyle, Yakky, and Biggy stay over tonight? Kyle’s parents are trying to take over the world again and…” A teenage version of the boy in the picture poked his head into the attic. He grimaced at the sight of his parents acting all lovey dovey in the corner, “Can’t you guys, like do that in a room or somethin’?

“Vician David Moppet! Watch your mouth young man!” Christy began to admonish.

“What?? It’s true. Kyle’s parents don’t act like that. Say cool pirate stuff. I didn’t know you guys had this stuff hidden up here.” Vic crossed over to admire his Mother’s old sword.

Mother and Father exchanged a look. Both of them had forgotten about the blade lying on the floor. Beau cleared his throat and took the sword away from Vic. He turned to place it in the trunk and looked at his family. Placing on arm around his wife and another around his son he stated, “Vic one of these days the three of us is going to have a long talk.”

“You two never make any sense. What’s that supposed to mean?” Vic looked at his parents as if they had lost it.

Christy Nicola Cole Demetri Moppet and Beauregard Parker Moppet looked at each other and laughed. Vic stared wondering if his parents had been messing around with those potions of his Uncle Adam’s again. Then the trio left the attic. Looking much like the photograph that lay in the trunk. A story that someday would be told.

christyb

Reaction score
And that's the end guys...so what did you think??