The Great Weight Loss Race

Rosewood

Reaction score
What the heck! I'll jump on the band wagon!

When I slipped on my wedding ring back in 88, I weighed a wonderfull 150! I know I will most likely never see this again, but I do need to set a reasonable goal and get on it. I know why I gained so much after getting married. It was because of the change in my daily habits and lifestyle. Before I got married I was involved in just about every curricular activity you could think of, from rock climbing and cave exploring to ballroom dancing and gymnastics! Today though, my basic daily schedule concists of getting out of bed, get the kids dressed and fed, then plopping my big fat tush in my rocking chair where it spends the majority of the day (sad and ashamed to say). Mabey it's going to take something like this to finally get me moving again.

present height and weight - 5' 3" and 225 lbs.

Target - 175 lbs.

Problems - Low energy levels, due to epilepsy medications. Weak ankles - in the past year all this extra weight has caused me to severely throw out both my ankles, leaving them both in very poor condition. Severe sweet tooth, as well as weakness for butter and salt.

Plan - Exercise - I'm not sure. I will have to find something that does not require harsh impact on the ankles; possibly swimming and/or water aerobics class. Eating - Start eating breakfast! Cut back on carbs, butter, salt and sweets. Cut out between meal and boardom snacking. Portion my food. Drink more water!

Cheating - on Thanksgiving and X-Mas, and mabey now and then on a weekend if we have the family over.

Honestly, though, if I really wish to see my kids grow up, I have got to change my lifestyle, now! Wish me luck!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
If you guys are going to do this, I really want to all to be careful. Don't do anything dangerous or harmful to your body, no crash diets, anything like that. Alot of us here are MC are teenagers even, and weight can fluxuate alot when you're growing. Also, you need certain foods to grow properly. I want everyone but especially any teenagers doijng this to be CAREFUL, SMART and EDUCATED about this. I don't want people skpping meals or trying anything dangerous. I want you guys to read about how to be healthy and know what you're doing, because it's easy enough to do things to harm your body if you don't know the facts.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
1.) A very excellent point, Mrs. Pepper. Let's use our brains on this one.
2.) You know what? I think this is exactly what I need. I don't remember the last time I got on a scale, but I do know that my pants don't fit quite as well as they used to, and I don't mean because they're too short.
3.) I'll go into details about height, weight, plan, problems, etc. later today or tomorrow, whenever I can get to the scale in my parents' bathroom without my dad nagging me to clean my room. But I'm definately in.
4.) Good luck, everybody!

jediX

Reaction score
Regarding weight...

Personally, I could care less about what the scale says my weight is -- primarily because the only way I can work out without my asthma going overboard is weight training, which actually adds muscle weight if you do it correctly. You do lose fat in the process, but since you're gaining AND losing, someone who is simply measuring weight loss is forgetting an important part of the process. This is where a lot of those "weight loss race" type shows fail. Fitness should be the target of a plan like this, not simply dropping five pounds. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Oh sweet, I so need youse' guys as my support group. But first I gotta' say to BEAR; you're pretty tall, you sure you need to lose weight? You sound like you're in pretty good shape, bud! Just a thought... or am I trying to play mind games with you and win the Muley drawing!? Bwah ha ha!:crazy:
You're right, Vic. Like I said I am really not that bad. Compared to the rest it appears I am in much better condition. Height has a lot to do with that. However, I have gotten a bit soft and would like to tone up. It wouldn't hurt to lose a little extra weight. My target is only about 15-20 lbs. Not much. I do need to get excercising more though and maintain. Eat a little more cautiously. I am in fine shape, but I could be in better shape. We'll put it that way. Haha!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Alright, here goes-

Height and weight: 5'3" and 143 lbs. (Not bad, except that it's mostly fat and not a lot of muscle.)

Target: No particular weight, just aiming to fit in my jeans without any fat rolling over the waist...

Problems: Balanced diet? What's that? I'm undeniably the pickiest eater on the block, which means I don't eat a lot of variety. In fact, two out of three meals have already been determined for school days: Breakfast is grits with cheese, lunch is peanut butter with crackers. And dinner is probably either a cheeseburger or more peanut butter. I definately don't get in all the major food groups, and I'm not all too terribly active.

Plan: Take a walk instead of a nap every day after school. A long walk, too, and at a fast pace. I already try to do this, but not on a regular basis. Food-wise, cut out the before-and-after-school-chocolate, put more of an effort into trying new foods, and on rough homework nights, replace the encouraging bowl of chocolate chips with an encouraging bottle of water.

Cheating: Thanksgiving's going to be the tough one for me- the night before is a youth group event, after which I'll probably go to a friend's house and gorge out on who knows what kind of junk food. Then the day of, well, enough said. And that very same weekend is my cousin's wedding. Oy! Christmas won't be as much of a problem as usual, since I'll be <sniff> out of town and away from my family, but then again, I'll be with a few thousand of my fellow jewish teenagers at a youth group convention over Hannukah, which means LOTS of traditional fried foods and Hannukah gelt- which, by the way, is chocolate money... mmmmm....

So, my weight isn't so much a problem, but there's no way on this earth that I'm "healthy," and I would really like to not be self-concious about how I look in shorts while I'm in Israel this summer.

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
If you guys are going to do this, I really want to all to be careful. Don't do anything dangerous or harmful to your body, no crash diets, anything like that. Alot of us here are MC are teenagers even, and weight can fluxuate alot when you're growing. Also, you need certain foods to grow properly. I want everyone but especially any teenagers doijng this to be CAREFUL, SMART and EDUCATED about this. I don't want people skpping meals or trying anything dangerous. I want you guys to read about how to be healthy and know what you're doing, because it's easy enough to do things to harm your body if you don't know the facts.

Thanks, Mrs. P. You are right and I am glad you brought that up. People do need to be careful. No one can expect to lose 10-15 pounds in one week. If you do, you aren't doing it right. That is unhealthy. Weight loss happens gradually. Also, for those younger people involved in this, please be careful when doing any weight lifting. Don't try and lift more than you can handle. I personally don't think you should seriously be weight training until you are about 15 or 16 years old. It can be harmful to natural body growth. But some toning is good. Cardio is always a good idea and just plain eating smarter.
I was just watching this cooking show on the Food Network. It was the one with that lady Paula who does the Southern cooking. Now, I like some Southern food as much as the next person but could not believe how fatty that stuff was. Fat fat fat fat fat! Unbelieveable.

Anyway, like I said, we will help each other.

superfan

Reaction score
Um, like I've been doing this since September! Glad everyone seems to think it's a good idea...
keep in mind its for health reasons. You can be skinny but still unhealthy...it's so very individual.

Starting weight (first week in Sept.) 265lbs
height: 5 foot 9...keep in mind I'm a brick house. Big hands, big feet, football player shoulders...I'm no delicate flower by any stretch

Currently: 242lbs. Lost 23lbs total thus far :smile: :smile: :smile:

Plan: walking whenever and wherever I can, weekly badminton and swimming for additional exercise and portion control. Yes, I should have breakfast so I make no excuses for that

Roadblocks: sweets, living too close to a convenience store and portion control is the absolute hardest thing. Have a hard time feeling full.

Whoever is serious about this, good luck and do it right. everything in moderation.