The Kermit and Miss Piggy appreciation thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by kansasteen14
I have tried not to respond to what you say but why do you have to be so rude,you came on here being a ******* and now NO ONE likes you,and I dont care who plays who as long as it sounds good but there are characters I would like to see again and I dont see why you have to ruin every topic you respond to.
Yeah, he is a ***** isnt he.. (man, what a quardruple asterix he is)... Do what I did.. Put him on you're ignore list. Maybe if we can all get him on all of our ignore lists, he'll get the message.

Murgatoad, you are the most annoying link, Buh Bye...

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by kansasteen14
I have tried not to respond to what you say but why do you have to be so rude,you came on here being a ******* and now NO ONE likes you,and I dont care who plays who as long as it sounds good but there are characters I would like to see again and I dont see why you have to ruin every topic you respond to.
Well, here's the thing, kid: The Muppets are one step away from bankruptcy. They're trying to sell themselves to somebody - ANYBODY, it seems - but so far no takers. Now how did they get in their little predicament? Here are the reasons some here have given:

1. Poor promotion.

2. They just can't catch a break.

3. Mean old big bad evil nasty Disney.

4. Mean old big bad evil nasty Toys R Us.

5. Mean old big bad evil nasty *insert name here*

Couldn't possibly be the fault of the gang at Henson and how they choose to present their characters, eh? Couldn't possibly be their lousy judgement (the stupid bit at the Parade being just one example of many)?

As for you not liking my opinion, well, that's life. Hey, you think the Henson gang cares what YOU think? Heck no, they've got YOUR attention. It's the rest of the viewing public that's the problem - the ones that aren't tuning in and aren't buying the action figures or the videos or whatnot. I'm just here telling you WHY the public isn't responding. Sorry if that upsets you, and frankly, I haven't a clue why. What difference does it make to you what I say if dissenting opinions upset you so? Simply ignore my posts or any other posts that inject a painful note of reality into the discussion. You'll save yourself a lot of grief, bub. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Toady...looks like you wrote yourself into a corner again... always trying to come in and Poop on us loyal fans with your holier than thou attitude.

Mr. Fan... it appears that you don't quite make any sense. First you tear the Muppets to pieces, and say that you're still a fan. You duck out on the action figure, and miss the movie, fine.. but you can't just come in here willy nilly and start pulling people who watched the movie or bought the figures appart. All you seem to do is ruin everything here with you're NASTY little comments, and then try to weasle out of it with you're "I'm an innocent fan" facade...

I mean, what the heck side are you on? If the new movie did bad, you'd have been like, "HA HA, you're pathetic Muppets failed." It did well, and you said "WHAT?!?!?!"

Apparently, for a "Fan" you seem to want them to fail, and jeer them when they succeed...

so, "fan" I hope you actually can make up your mind... preferrably on leaving us alone...

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
*snip*

You know, I read your thread about your emotional problems, Toothie, and I really hate to add to your angst, but I fear I must...SO...What is YOUR assessment of why the Mups are doing so badly? I'd love to hear it. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because the Muppets are not the hot new thing...

They do not have cheasy trading battle cards, they do not use the word "gay" in anything they do, they do not star J-Lo.. they do not ripoff Pokemon, they do not rip-off Hello kitty, they do not make live action remakes of cartoon, they are not made by a big time toy company trying to scam people out of money, and make a horrid cartoon show, they do not appear on TV as fake judges (like Judy, Mathis, or the like), they do not contain a cast of 20 somethings who will be replaced once they get a weird wrinkle mark on their faces, they do not sing Britney Spears, they do not sing Emenem, they do not have reality dating shows, they do not have "dysfunctional Family" live action Simpsons ripoff plots..

In short, they refused to sell out to the mass media who just want to make a dishonest buck to sell themselves to kids, or anything like that. They may have promotions here, and a little merchandise there, but they do not want to go all, "Yu-Gi-Oh" and scam people...

that's their undoing.. they are not crooks...until Disney makes their move...

murgatoad

Reaction score
Because the Muppets are not the hot new thing...

They do not have cheasy trading battle cards, they do not use the word "gay" in anything they do, they do not star J-Lo.. they do not ripoff Pokemon, they do not rip-off Hello kitty, they do not make live action remakes of cartoon, they are not made by a big time toy company trying to scam people out of money, and make a horrid cartoon show, they do not appear on TV as fake judges (like Judy, Mathis, or the like), they do not contain a cast of 20 somethings who will be replaced once they get a weird wrinkle mark on their faces, they do not sing Britney Spears, they do not sing Emenem, they do not have reality dating shows, they do not have "dysfunctional Family" live action Simpsons ripoff plots..

In short, they refused to sell out to the mass media who just want to make a dishonest buck to sell themselves to kids, or anything like that. They may have promotions here, and a little merchandise there, but they do not want to go all, "Yu-Gi-Oh" and scam people...

that's their undoing.. they are not crooks...until Disney makes their move...
Well, that's your assessment, and you're entitled to it. MY assessment is that the Muppets would sell out in a red hot minute if they could just figure out a way to do it. But they're trying. Didn't Pepe do a bit of staring at Joan Cusack's cleavage in the Xmas film (so I've heard?) And wasn't there a gay pig in the movie too - one who patted Kermit's "tush"? I heard about that too. IMO the Muppets are trying desperately to find a way to shed their has-been status and "connect" with today's audience, and in that regard it looks like they're taking the "Greg the Bunny" approach, more's the pity.

And FWIW I don't like it. And so that's why I'm here venting about it. Just FYI.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Has been.. hmmmm... yes.. has been.. that's why Sesame Street is still on the air after over 30 years.

Basically, if they can do something like that and win the jaded general public, and get good ratings and the like, maybe they are making a comeback...

The first action figure series didn't sell well because Palisades thought that more people would want Piggy and Kermit than the others, and packed less of them in their, and more pigs and frogs.

Surely, you can understand that the Muppets have to change with the times. In my opinion, the little innuendo was much milder than Greg the Bunny, and extreemly mild compaired to the smut on TV (Must see NBC's Fcc licence agreement, apparently)... Plus, the head writer wrote for the Simpsons anyway, so their you go. I mean, AVMMCM was much better than the last few films that they made. Dispite the fact their trying to play to the audence that once SHUNNED the,m (Drunk College kids, and people that mix the Muppets up with Sesame Street) and actually suceeding (I have heard people talking about how great it was, and they hadn't even seen the Muppets in years) than maybe has been means that if you hd a show on for years that became a phenomonon, and you want the public to know your still around.. yeah.. that's a hasbeen....

murgatoad

Reaction score
Has been.. hmmmm... yes.. has been.. that's why Sesame Street is still on the air after over 30 years.

Basically, if they can do something like that and win the jaded general public, and get good ratings and the like, maybe they are making a comeback...
Well, we've been over the "good" ratings bit, so let's move on. But FYI, there's a difference between "nostalgia" and "comeback". Most people who did tune in to the flick did so because it was a Christmas movie, airing during a time when most Christmas specials/films on TV are doing quite well, and the Muppets were a part of people's childhoods and hence, nostalgia. People are in the mood for that sort of thing right now. That's fine, but it doesn't mean the Muppets can, say, appear on the Fox network and deliver a new hit weekly show. In fact I'd bet good money that if Fox were crazy enough to actually go ahead with one, it'd go the way of "Greg the Bunny" and the *other* "comeback" show on NBC.

Count on it.

Salmoto

Reaction score
All I have to say at this point is given the success of the christmas movie, the toy line going into full swing, and the various followup projects in the works up to and including the next buyout, I think that we will all be pleasently surprised with what he Muppets are gonna do next.