"The Looney Tunes Show" premieres May 3, 2011

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a shame the new RR/C cartoons can't look like the new theatrical ones; the clips I've seen have glorious animation.
One word... BUDGET.

This show actually does look really promising. I don't know how I feel about the guy they chose for Daffy's voice (he's going to do Bugs too, right?). It just seems like Joe Alasky does a much better job with him.
The only thing, other than the CGI Road Runner, that bugs me is they're still being quite inconsistent with the LT voice actors. Look at Disney. They had the same Mickey, Goofy, and Donald for some time until their Mickey passed. It took them a while to get Bill Farmer as Goofy, mind you. I think they used Will Ryan for a while until Goof Troop. But ever since GT, Bill has been Goofy in every project. With WB it's like whoever's the most available. Joe's Daffy, Sylvester, and Tweety are the best ones since Mel Blanc passed. Heck, you could argue that Joe got Daffy and Sylvester to sound different without speeding any voices up. And, I gotta say, Jim Cummings IS the best Taz. Even better than Mel's, I hate to say. He gave the character a whole new level.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The only thing, other than the CGI Road Runner, that bugs me is they're still being quite inconsistent with the LT voice actors. Look at Disney. They had the same Mickey, Goofy, and Donald for some time until their Mickey passed. It took them a while to get Bill Farmer as Goofy, mind you. I think they used Will Ryan for a while until Goof Troop. But ever since GT, Bill has been Goofy in every project. With WB it's like whoever's the most available. Joe's Daffy, Sylvester, and Tweety are the best ones since Mel Blanc passed. Heck, you could argue that Joe got Daffy and Sylvester to sound different without speeding any voices up. And, I gotta say, Jim Cummings IS the best Taz. Even better than Mel's, I hate to say. He gave the character a whole new level.
Definitely agree with you there. I've never understood why it's so hard for WB to pin down one person to voice Bugs. Billy West does a great job. It's just very, very odd to me that they wouldn't want these characters to have consistent voice artists. You would think that eventually someone would realize how dumb the inconsistencies sound and pin down one... but I guess you'd have to do more than one project in five years for that to work. :smirk:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I haven't really seen many LT cartoons recently (Sure, I watched them as a kid, but I remember virtually nothing about them), so I can't really choose. The only one I can really stick out is "Duck Amuck"; that's one of my favorite cartoons period.
Do yourself a favor and go buy all 6 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection sets. You won't regret it. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember reading something somewhere about how June Foray wasn't even going to be Granny in Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, mainly because they were going to go a direction of some actress who only played her in ONE short. She said some justifiably nasty things back, and somehow got the part anyway.

It's not so much recasts that bug me as the fact that you can't see the same project with the same VA's twice. Commercials are one thing, but actual projects? They go all over the map. Happened even earlier than Space Jam. I just want some official consistent recasts.

That said, I think I heard Rob Paulsen in one of those clips. The state of animation is terrible when you find yourself begging to hear Rob Paulsen as someone besides Mr. Opportunity. So many legendary in their own time voice actors just can't get a break.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
With WB it's like whoever's the most available. Joe's Daffy, Sylvester, and Tweety are the best ones since Mel Blanc passed. Heck, you could argue that Joe got Daffy and Sylvester to sound different without speeding any voices up. And, I gotta say, Jim Cummings IS the best Taz. Even better than Mel's, I hate to say. He gave the character a whole new level.
The only thing I think I disagree with you about is that, in my opinion Bob Bergen was a better Tweety, but I'm with you all the way on the rest of it.

Although, I might be tempted point out that they only sped up Mel's voice for Daffy for a few cartoons, then Mel got it for himself. Kind of like what happened with Maurice LaMarche and Morbo.

I've never understood why it's so hard for WB to pin down one person to voice Bugs. Billy West does a great job.
And I agree with you on that. While there are other VA's who get the voice better, they seem to lack something in the attitude that Billy has.

It's not so much recasts that bug me as the fact that you can't see the same project with the same VA's twice. Commercials are one thing, but actual projects? They go all over the map. Happened even earlier than Space Jam. I just want some official consistent recasts.
Again (broken record), same here.

I'm just glad that they don't have half a dozen voice actors for Porky. I love Bob Bergen's Porky so much that I find it just plain painful to hear anybody else, even if it's only for a single line.

I just hope that someday, I'll get on some big showbiz news site and see that WB has decided to lock down a permanent voice cast for the Looney Tunes characters.

It's never going to happen, but hope never killed anyone. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Although, I might be tempted point out that they only sped up Mel's voice for Daffy for a few cartoons, then Mel got it for himself. Kind of like what happened with Maurice LaMarche and Morbo.
I actually noticed that it was a few here and there. But there's just something that Joe adds to his Sylvester that really makes it gruffer than his Daffy as well.

And I agree with you on that. While there are other VA's who get the voice better, they seem to lack something in the attitude that Billy has.
If nothing else, Billy is the BEST Elmer I've hear in a while. he manages to keep that Arthur Bryant quality, all the while sounding that much different from his Bugs when he does both.

I'm just glad that they don't have half a dozen voice actors for Porky. I love Bob Bergen's Porky so much that I find it just plain painful to hear anybody else, even if it's only for a single line.
He seems to be the one that's most constant. He even voiced Porky in that one Robot Chicken 8 Mile sketch. Though, I did hear Billy's Porky in one of the newer cartoons they had before BIA came out. But Bob's Porky is really something. It's a shame they don't keep Joe Alasky as Daffy in this new series... I really think there was a chemistry between Joe and Bob in Duck Dodgers.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
It's a shame they don't keep Joe Alaskey as Daffy in this new series... I really think there was a chemistry between Joe and Bob in Duck Dodgers.
Yeah, it is. However, I'm not one for disliking a show I've never seen because of casting choices.

I'm still going to give this a chance, just like I did for Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated (Love it).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish that these weren't on cable. That's the worst part for me. Sure, I might just stumble across one or two somewhere online... but I'd have to wait until they hit DVD, and knowing WB, we'll see cheap 4 episode volumes and nothing else.

The one episode of Mystery Inc I've seen blew me away. I wish wish wish they'd release that in a season set.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
That said, I think I heard Rob Paulsen in one of those clips. The state of animation is terrible when you find yourself begging to hear Rob Paulsen as someone besides Mr. Opportunity. So many legendary in their own time voice actors just can't get a break.
I just read somewhere that Disney had cast him as the new voice for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Then, I read somewhere else that they had cast Frank Welker. :confused:

I'm not sure which is true, but I hope it's Rob (No offence, Mr. Welker), he deserves a comeback. :attitude: