"The Looney Tunes Show" premieres May 3, 2011

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Found out that it's supposed to come out in May (at least in my area)

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're REALLY dragging their feet on this one.

Funny thing? It's not even out yet, and everyone's whining about how "terrible" it is.

Seriously? they see Looney Tunes Babies or Loonatics? Anything that ISN'T that is an improvement.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Saw the Yosemite Sam video, and now it's stuck in my head. I might blow my stack, too! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm gonna wait and see how this show plays out.

They've struck gold with Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers (why the heck isn't that on DVD unless I buy the first Green Lantern movie?), and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries... and I'm one of the few that actually likes the newer shorts... sure, they don't measure up to the classics, but I don't think they need to. The classic LT shorts were made in a bygone era when movies weren't 90 minutes long with 3 hours of commercials before them... they had several animators working on a single 7 minute short, they barely got the respect they deserved (rumor has it, Termite Terrace was closed down because one of the heads at WB found out they DIDN'T create Mickey Mouse) and they did the best cartoons of all time there.

But I can't stand this whole bit about we ONLY need the classics... WHAT? The new stuff NEVER replaces the classics (when was the last time any of you saw Flintstones Funnies vs the actual show?), but it keeps the property from being permanently mothballed. Then they become useless relics, and everyone sits around saying "Whatever happened to...?" then proceeding to whine about how lousy new characters are.

And again, I must say... House of Mouse/ Mickey Mouse works had some of the best Mickey cartoons I've ever seen, Tom and Jerry Tales captured the original cartoons better than ANY television version of it (even one done by Hanna Barbera themselves... boy was THAT watered down), and when Space Ghost was made into a talk show host, the character was improved greatly.

From what I've seen of this series, there's nothing I completely object to... the CGI Road Runner looks like a PS1 game, though... and I gotta admit, I do think Jeff Bergman's doing a great job as Bugs and Daffy. And I'm one of the few that digs the character designs... at least they aren't the watered down coloring book late 60's Friz Freling style.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh... my only Humbug about this series is that they recast Lola Bunny with Kristen Wiig.

Blehh! She makes everything unfunny.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
However, I agree with most of the commenters and say that this new version had more character than her first appearance in Space Jam.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As someone who watched the "Very Gilly Christmas" special for the Kermit appearance AND the handful of old skits, I just... well... I don't think she's funny or that talented. Even in the great film Forgetting Sarah Marshall, he sequence just drug the film down. Though... I will admit, she does Kathy Lee Gifford alright... However, I AM curious to see Fred Armisand's Speedy Gonzales. I give them nothing but credit for keeping Speedy in the Looney Tunes family, especially since the PC police tried to keep him and Porky (who's original voice actor before Mel Blanc DID stutter) down. Funny... same people they thought would be offended by Speedy were the ones that saved him.

I gotta admit, I'm not a big fan of Lola, but it's nice to see a character from a movie that gets such a mixed reaction got retconned (though the little twerp aliens that "joined" up at the end of the movie disappeared). The segment was alright... maybe I find Kristen too much a humor sponge, but I'm liking everything else a lot better. Though, I wish they had a bigger budget for the Road Runner CGI shorts. I liked the one they showed before Yogi Bear (only highlight of the movie), and I wish they had the money for those production values. These look like PS2 game cutscenes.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The only funny thing Gilly did in that special was her dance during the opening song. But, there's a clip of Speedy's new voice on YouTube. Just look up "Speedy's Advice". The user has some other sneak peaks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear... seems like I'm the only one (especially as someone who thinks the original LT cartoons were untouchable and unmatchable in quality) who's really enjoying these. Jeff's Daffy is sounding a lot better than it did in the first preview clip, I'm loving Fred's Speedy... other than that Lola clip, I find these all really amusing and a really fun turn for these guys without diluting the thing down all the way.

Seriously... this is a MUCH better way of hipping them up than Loonatics.