1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Missing Link Hogthrob

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by LinkiePie<3, Oct 27, 2011.

1. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

2. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

I would looooooooooooove a Pigs in Space video game! Ugh!
    You should check out this thread if you havent' already:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/dearth-alexs-customs-and-dioramas-v2.47630/

This person has done a ton of customizations of the Palisades figures, including a Bear on Patrol Link and a Disco Fever Link from the Lesley Ann Warren episode. If they did a Biker/Leather Link figure, my day would be MADE! :D Would love a barbershop quartet, too. :D

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  3. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Some great customizations. I did recognize the body of the Bear on Patrol Link as being from the Police Academy toy line, which I had when I was a kid. Looks like either Tackleberry or Mahoney's body.

4. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Wow...I would have never noticed that...that's hilarious!! LOL!!!

SkeetScootSquat and LinkiePie<3 like this.
  5. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

One thing I love about Link is how much of a male fashion plate he's always been. I want to take a moment here to share my utter delight about how Link gets FIVE costume changes in The Muppets: his stylin' blue suit (with his trademark ascot!), a re-vamped Swinetrek uniform, adorable barbershop quartet costume, handsome tuxedo (rental or not? You decide!) and finally a classic trench coat. This is pretty wonderful, considering his part in the film was relatively minor. I just love how much he pops up in the background!
    I also think his rebuild looks pretty good. While I will always love his original look, with the more golden-blonde hair and thicker eyebrows, there's no denying he looks great now - and I'm so happy to see him back. :flirt:

[​IMG]

6. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I picked up The Muppets Original Soundtrack yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to hear Link's voice more prominently in the official soundtrack version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" than we do in the movie (not that we can't hear him at all, but the Jack Black chaos tended to drown out parts of the song).

Steve Whitmire definitely has Link's sound down and I hope this is just the first of many appearances for him. Link's blend of pomposity and self-importance was always a great caricature of puffed-up Hollywood egos (especially among aging leading men) and he'd fit perfectly in that role again today.

Wouldn't he be great in a scene with William Shatner? (Or, for that matter, Patrick Stewart?)

7. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

So, this thread has been dead for a while (poor Link's ego would be crushed!), but I was just thinking about how much I hope he's in the upcoming "Muppets... Again". It was such an amazingly unexpected comeback in "The Muppets", and it would really be a shame that they had him rebuilt and prominently featured in a major musical number only to put him away again. So, here's hoping for some more Link in the next movie! Bring him back for realz! His adoring public is ready and waiting!

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about every character who was rebuilt for this. While there haven't been that many Muppet productions since, it seems none of the obscure characters who were rebuilt for the last movie have been seen since the Scratching the Surface blu-ray feature. I don't think they were in the Just for Laughs event, none of them were in the All I Need is Love music video (just characters who had been used fairly regularly in the few years before the movie came out), it's also a shame that the newly-rebuilt Thog and Mutations have't been used outside the new movie yet.

9. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

Yes, I agree! I've been keeping an eye out for him (and, like you said, ANY of the minor rebuilt characters!) in the latest features, and it's been very disappointing to not see any of them. Here's hoping at least some of them make it into the next film. :(

10. Scooterforever

Just watched the Cloris Leachman episode last night; Link gets plenty of screen time. Even though he was never one of the core Muppets, and seems to rarely interact with the others outside of TMS (he must think they're below him), he had a lot of great bits on the original show.

11. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Link is indeed underappreciated, since he was never a star like Kermit or Fozzie. I hope he has a greater role in the upcoming movie. Maybe the Muppets will film a new Pigs in Space segment for the movie: I could see Eric Jacobson as First Mate Piggy, Steve Whitmire as Link Hogthrob, and possibly Matt Vogel as Dr. Strangepork.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  12. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

that would be pretty cool and i could see that happening :)

13. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

New Link images to share with you dears~! <3

[​IMG]

This was found in a Muppet Doodle Book I spotted at Barnes and Noble a few months ago.

[​IMG]

Typical Link is typical...

Taken from the book For the Love of Miss Piggy. Written by Martha T. Ottersley and illustrated by Amy Mebberson.

Courtesy of Amazon.com

14. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

15. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

I love the pics from the Muppet Doodle book! It's nice to see Link included in a recent Muppet book...sigh! The above pic was from Ebay...it makes me smile to see Jane Henson holding Link! I'm sad to hear of her recent passing. I can't wait to see Muppets...Again when it hits theaters. I read on the Tough Pigs website that Louise Gold will be performing Annie Sue in the upcoming movie! I almost fell off my chair in shock...I would love to see Annie Sue again. It's great to see this thread still going, Link would be proud!

16. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

Aww, shucks...you're making me blush~! <3 =w=

Eep~! I'm just giddy with thrills~! More Muppets; more Gold; more pigs~! <3

I heard about her heartbreaking passing, too. :cry: Words can't describe how sorely she will be missed. </3

Not sure if this photo was already posted on this thread of not, but this will delicately be posted for Jane Henson's honor:

[​IMG]

17. Scooterforever

Link has become one of my fav Muppets. I hope he has a larger role in Muppets... Again! I have the Sideshow Weta Link Hogthrob bust in my curio cabinet.

LinkiePie<3 likes this.
  18. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

It seems as though they had a Muppeteer performing Link's torso part, but the specially designed arms and legs didn't have any limb operators in order for Peter Sellers to
    "stretch the limits" of flexibility, so to speak, and one can only wonder if any other Muppet would be feeling major limb cramps and excruciating pain after such an experience.....

Peter Sellers Muppet Show Episode - YouTube

This song really suits Link to a T; I wonder what it would have been like if Carly Simon and Link Hogthrob had performed a duet version of "You're So Vain"......

The Muppet Show - It's Hard To Be Humble - YouTube

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  19. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see more Link. He was really funny. One moment he appears to be this charming lady's man kind of a captain, the next he's sucking his thumb wanting his mommy. :) One of my all time favorite moments is when Link is drawing a map of where the Swinetrek is and Miss Piggy asks "Link, what's that in the corner?" and he replies "Oh that's a ducky." HA HA HA! And there was an episode where Fozzie was responsible for keeping an eye on The Muppet Show theater for Kermit and it was fire so he has Rowlf, The Swedish Chef and Link (3 of Jim's characters in the background, how rare and cool is that) where passing around buckets of water to put it out. And I think Fozzie yells at Link "WILL YOU STOP CRYING?". And I think Link cried in another episode where a bunch of the characters were reading this superhero manual learning how to fly and feel off this ladder. Link punches Scooter I think but he ends up crying out "MOMMY!" I've always admired Link for being a wimp which he tries so hard to hide, plus I think he had a secret crush on Miss Piggy. Of course she doesn't like him at all. There's a blooper from The Muppets Go To Disney World where she says "Looks like we got Wart Brain over here.". Steve performs Link now right? Seems like after Jim's passing even though Link had a replacement Muppeteer, Link continued being a silent character. Even in Muppet Treasure Island where he successfully hits a gong (Unlike his attempt at it in The Muppets Go To The Movies, another one of my favorite Link Moments). Sure he got to sing a bit of barbershop in The Muppets (2011) and got a bit of a speaking part in the Muppet Race Mania playstation game. Call me old fashioned, but I'd love to see the classic Muppet comedy come back. The slapstick, the bad puns, the fast pace gags, monsters, explosions and in this case more funny Link moments.

SkeetScootSquat and LinkLady77 like this.
  20. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

I know it seems a bit odd, but given all the films in which Link Hogthrob has starred, he seems to have more lines in TM as compared to the other movies (in contrast to the Muppets' TV specials) in which he's featured as a background character with few or no lines....