The Most Annoying Kids Shows

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's more than that one famous X-rated blooper. Someone on youtube compiled a ten-minute string of outtakes where in between scenes, they let the cameras roll and the characters had so much fun creating some absolutely hysterical ad-libs. Maybe because they KNEW just how painfully dull the show was otherwise.
I wish a lot more of those kinds of "blowing off steam" moments from kid's shows and cartoons would hit the internet. They're always the best things ever, from Porky Pig's "You thought I was going to say son of a XXXXX, didn't ya?" to the Thundercats Bloopers ("What the XXXX is a samoflange?") to this. There's just so little of it available out there, and I wish more of these old tapes would come to light.

Actually, the thing that disturbs me about NZR is the large characters. I mean, Freddie is clearly a child, no problem there... but the Hippo and Owl are clearly grown adults that act like children, and have the human adults constantly scold them. Sometimes in song. They're clearly trying to emulate Sesame Street and maybe Mr. Rogers's Make Believe segments to some extent, but there's something about it that just didn't translate.

But that scene of them blowing off steam? Totally worth it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The New Zoo Revue was where I got my username. A local TV station used to air reruns of the show around 2006-2007, and I would watch it before school. It was so funny, all the washed-out colors, bad acting, weird characters, corny songs. I wish the episode where Charlie got hooked on pep pills was on YouTube, that's some award-winning corn.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but the Hippo and Owl are clearly grown adults that act like children, and have the human adults constantly scold them. Sometimes in song. They're clearly trying to emulate Sesame Street and maybe Mr. Rogers's Make Believe segments to some extent, but there's something about it that just didn't translate.
Well that's always been a staple of children's programming, the human adults are smarter than the childlike puppet characters, even if they're meant to be grown ups themselves.

The episode I saw had the owl going to a trivia contest on TV and he hadn't studied enough and kept getting everything wrong and his friends were singing at him, something like "Charlie you don't know the answers and you're not paying attention!" And then later somehow Charlie was actually asked to come back on the show a second time, and then they had to lecture him on how "there's such a thing as being OVER prepared!" Cue the laugh track, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I bet the voices are annoying in this show.
Ahh, Zoobilee Zoo! That show I definitely remember from my childhood. Really, there's nothing better than a much of Broadway performers embarrassing themselves on TV for your personal enjoyment and education. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well that's always been a staple of children's programming, the human adults are smarter than the childlike puppet characters, even if they're meant to be grown ups themselves.
But other shows that manage to do that don't come off as creepy when it happens. Somehow, it's kinda disturbing at times.

Plus, I gotta admit, whoever they chose to play "Miss Goodbody..." The term "good body" doesn't exactly pop up into my mind when it comes to 50 something year old elementary school gym teachers... :stick_out_tongue:

Kidding.

Anyway...

I bet the voices are annoying in this show.

You have clearly seen and heard of that show to put it on the list. It would be ridiculous to make an assumption about something that you're probably not old enough to actually remember. :rolleyes:

I LOVED this thing back when it was on. I was the right age when it was on. Haven't seen the thing in years, but somehow it seems like the show Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was the spiritual sequel to Zoobilee Zoo.

Too bad we never got the Zoogarie Zoogarie Zoo. Apparently that's much better. (Everybody Loves Raymond reference)

Sprocket77

Reaction score
Most annoying? Timmy the Tooth. I just can't explain how much I hate Timmy the Tooth...

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I used to watch Barney & friends religiously every morning before I went to school in 5th grade, but by the time summer came, and I was heading to 6th grade, I simply stopped watching it. As for those Teletubbies, I watched an episode or two, but it was just stupid. I happen to know a few "so-called friends" who live in my town who are disabled like I am, and they treat Barney & the Teletubbies like they're the best kind of friend you could ever have. What blankety blank morons these people are, drugging themselves with something that is totally stupid & gay to me. I'm glad I stopped watching these stupid shows, and stopped hanging out with these pure morons. I once told someone that I was planning on taking Barney off the air, and considered this "someone" to be the one who'd take the fault for it. (This was a long time ago, however) Sesame Street, Zoom, The Magic School Bus, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood? Now that hits the spot. I do like Lazy-town though. Pretty funny show in my opinion.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Adventure Time but really almost any new on cartoon network (I like Regular Show and Gumball)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Barney used to make me nauseous. Right after Jim died, I was afraid that was going to be the end of Sesame Street (after 20 solid years, I'd think, at least it was a good run), and you young'ens would be left with Barney as your generation's PBS mascot.

The thing about Barney that made it so difficult for me to watch was how contrived every move was. Some of Sesame's best moments were the times when Kermit or another Muppet would talk with the kids (John-John, Joey, Shala and Fanny, etc.)
just let the cameras roll and let the kids be themselves. No script to follow, maybe a vague idea of counting to 20 or reciting the alphabet, but the magic lay in the interplay between the kids and the Muppets. You can't fake that.

To me, Barney suffered from such a glaring absence of moments like that. The cast of kids (who didn't even use their real names) would randomly break out into choreographed numbers, you couldn't even get a decent tune (weak lyrics paired with "Yankee Doodle" or "This Old Man", if Joe Raposo was still alive he'd be puking in his soup!), and to think this artificial cesspool threatened to wipe Sesame off the face of the earth.

Even in a few televised interviews, Caroll Spinney would sign off with "Take care! Keep watching Sesame Street! AND DON'T WATCH BARNEY!!!"