The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I remember where I was standing when I heard the news that Jim Henson had died. It was a devastating moment, and I cried at work. (Sammie Davis Jr. died the same day--a very bad day.) Later, while watching "The Muppet Christmas Carol," I was emotional, but enjoying it--until Kermit starting singing "There's only one more sleep 'til Christmas." This may sound funny, since we muppet fans have gotten used to a lot of different people doing a lot of different voices for a lot of muppets we feel like we know, but at that time in my life, I was totally aware that that was not the Kermit I had always known singing! (I might be wrong about this, but I don't think they were saying at the time of TMCC who was actually doing the voice of Kermit--might be off on my timing, though.) It brought on a fresh wave of nostalgia, and, of course, tears.
I'm happy to say that I have happily (though somewhat sadly, you understand) gone on to very much enjoy and appreciate the different muppet folk who so kindly keep our favorite muppets alive and performing, but that first time was quite a jar.
And "When Love Has Gone" can make me cry every single time. Even five times in a row.
Ruahnna

Ruahnna

Reaction score
ResidentLilly said:
This may not count, but when Yoda died in ROTJ...he is a muppet!
Okay--then I have to add this. Jim's pioneering work in muppeting was instrumental in bring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to life. (Didn't he work or consult directly on the first movies right before he died?) In the first TMNT movie, there is a moment when Rafael is being teased unmercifully by his brothers about having a bit of a crush on April. He gets mad and throws a temper tantrum, thowing one of his psi (psis? psies? who the heck knows?!) on the floor right between Leonardo's splayed legs. Leonardo backs off immediately and makes an unmistakeably Kermit-like little noise. I'll betcha I was the only adult in the theatre tearing up at TTMNTM.

wes

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
Later, while watching "The Muppet Christmas Carol," I was emotional, but enjoying it--until Kermit starting singing "There's only one more sleep 'til Christmas."
Yeah I cried, My friend giggled and laugh, But the Girls thought it was cute and sweet:wink: :smirk:

Marky

Reaction score
wes said:
Yeah I cried, My friend giggled and laugh, But the Girls thought it was cute and sweet:wink: :smirk:
Why did you cry at that? Was it a sad cry or a weepy nostalgic cry?

(BTW, wasn't Micheal Caine awesome in that?)

wes

Reaction score
It was Like a nostalgic type cry, and that was the same time I found out that Richard Hunt had Passed away, But i also cryed because it was so beautiful:cry:

and Yes Micheal caine Was great!!

Marky

Reaction score
wes said:
It was Like a nostalgic type cry, and that was the same time I found out that Richard Hunt had Passed away, But i also cryed because it was so beautiful:cry:

and Yes Micheal caine Was great!!
Yeah, it was beautiful, the shooting star - Kermit with his Hat (not unlike the one he wears in the John Denver Christmas album cover - another sad thing). I know what you mean. It's the 1st lumpy-throat part of that movie, I think. Likely the best post-Jim project.

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
IN MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN EVERY TIME I WATCH IT AND SEE KERMIT AND PIGGY GET MARRIED I HAVE A FEW TEARS AS SHE FINALLY GOT THE FROG. :smile:

Marky

Reaction score
melissa@muppet said:
IN MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN EVERY TIME I WATCH IT AND SEE KERMIT AND PIGGY GET MARRIED I HAVE A FEW TEARS AS SHE FINALLY GOT THE FROG. :smile:
Something which he now denies. :eek:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Frog in Denial

Marky said:
Something which he now denies. :eek:
Yeah--and what the heck is THAT about? Why does anyone think it's clever and hip or funny (not!) for Kermit to deny something we all saw him do. Even in the 30-year celebration tape, Piggy introduces Kermit as "a happily married frog." I think one of the most touching moments in ALL of the movies is when Kermit nervously looks around, contemplates married life with Miss Piggy and then says, very firmly and contentedly, "I do." Makes my heart go pitter-pat, that does.

CAUTION: SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP DRIVEL BELOW
When Kermit and Piggy are driving us crazy watching them drive each other crazy (the fodder for most of my muppet fanfic), I find them charming and funny and romantic. I can even forgive Kermit for his denial because it's so obviously wishful thinking on his part. Does he not get apoplectic when anyone else shows a genuine interest in Piggy? Gonzo is the exception, of course, but Kermit doesn't mind if Gonzo has a thing for Piggy 'cause he knows Piggy will never have a hankering for Gonzo. Does Kermit not become a cranky, grumpy (adorable) mess when Piggy is flirting outrageously with someone else? You betcha. And we all know how Piggy gets when anyone is trying to move in on her frog.

Here's what it boils down to--for me. If you subtract Kermit's real but unexpressed affection for Piggy from his behavior, he's not really a very nice frog, is he? If Kermit deny's Piggy's appeal when everyone else can see it, he's not being honest with himself. If he loves her, but doesn't want to admit how much, I can sympathize with him. If he doesn't love her, but just takes pleasure in being unkind to her and saying rude things about her, he's not the frog I thought he was. It goes to continuity because Kermit--who has supported the often questionable careers of Gonzo and Fozzie (no offense guys--I love your acts!) for years continually belittles Piggy's beauty and talent, which the world at large has validated in spades.

All of the other Muppets in IAVMMC acknowledge that Piggy is a superstar, with "star power," who will "make people feel like they've got their money's worth." And they all know that Kermit has the power to entice her come back. What is this power he has over her? That she loves him, and will want to please him and make him happy. They all know that. Kermit, Piggy--all of them. And what kind of man, um, frog does it make him that he would capitalize on that while continuing to deride her? Not a very nice one.
And yet, at the end, he is forced to acknowledge that Piggy is more to him that the star of The Muppet Theatre--she's the star of his heart, and he wants to be more than just her director. *Sigh* Think I'm going to have to go write something....

Marky

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
All of the other Muppets in IAVMMC acknowledge that Piggy is a superstar, with "star power," who will "make people feel like they've got their money's worth." And they all know that Kermit has the power to entice her come back. What is this power he has over her? That she loves him, and will want to please him and make him happy. They all know that. Kermit, Piggy--all of them. And what kind of man, um, frog does it make him that he would capitalize on that while continuing to deride her? Not a very nice one.
And yet, at the end, he is forced to acknowledge that Piggy is more to him that the star of The Muppet Theatre--she's the star of his heart, and he wants to be more than just her director. *Sigh* Think I'm going to have to go write something....
Um, well he was desperate in IaVMMCM. He even called Triumph before getting her back. What was the reason for her return? Well... she got herself fired from her gig on the Scrubs set.