1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by GuySmiley, Jun 30, 2002.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh man, I was just going to watch the scene of Kermit and Piggy's wedding from MTM because it always is so moving. But I swear before I even clicked on the link, I saw the phrase "Kermit and Piggy Get Married" and instantly started tearing up, lol. It's incredible how much raw emotion they managed to pack into one little film. :)

And to think as a kid I didn't understand why all the characters were crying (I didn't get the "crying when you're happy" concept yet, lol).
    Pinkflower7783 and Yorick like this.
  2. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Aww...I know it's amazing how much The Muppets have influenced our lives. Like I said before I think I love them and appreciate them way more now then when I was a kid. And I think at least for me why I get choked up because I wish I could go back to that time of being a child. Time goes by so fast.
  3. heralde

That's why I really identified with Julie Andrews' song to Kermit: "I'm so glad that you love me too...cause I've loved you since you were a tadpole and I was a fish." :)

Yeah movies have always been a big memory trigger for me (and probably for most people). For a split second you are literally in that frame of mind again.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  4. Pinkflower7783

Now to get ready for Miss Piggy on Anderson Cooper tomorrow!!! :mad:
    heralde likes this.
  5. Pinkflower7783

I think that's why when "Pictures in my head" plays I just get really emotional okay I cry but anyways...lol! Especially when Kermit says "If we could do it all again, just another chance to entertain"
    Zeliboba likes this.
  6. heralde

I honestly didn't think I was going to cry during this movie but when Kermit said, "Or did something break we can't repair?" I definitely felt the welling up, lol. Because it reflected my own uncertain state of mind about the Muppets for a long time. And to see them kinda wondering the same thing was a very poignant moment for me.
    Pinkflower7783 and Nasubionna like this.
  7. Pinkflower7783

I knew I was gonna cry when I heard "Rainbow Connection" was gonna be in the movie and of course I did but...I just got very emotional seeing Kermit walk through the hallways of the mansion and seeing all his friends. Like I said I never cry in movies so for me to get emotional during The Muppets for me is a big deal. LOL!
  8. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

My love for them may have been the same all these years...like a rock...but I know what you mean in the sense that when you watch something from them you've loved since you were a kid, you pick up on things you didn't understand the first time. Sometimes it can feel that much more powerful than it already was. And I definitely agree with you about the influence they've had (100% positive) and I agree even more (if that's possible) regarding how the emotional power of something they did years ago is often even greater due to how fast the time goes, and wishing we could go back. I certainly relate to your point there. It's sad, and yet, it'd be even sadder if we didn't still have these to enjoy now. After all, they don't make anything like they used to! And this is coming from someone who is also a fan of new stuff!
  9. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Singing Jim's favorite songs at his memorial service:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSE1Mtnnm4Y
    There are many reasons this is a tear-jerker. They did such an amazing job. If anyone hasn't seen it all the way through, I highly suggest you do. And by that, I mean this clip. Personally, I still haven't seen the entire memorial service, but I'm sure I should get to that!
  10. Mark Johns

Mark Johns Active Member

There are so many. Too many. I recently watched the doc, Being Elmo, and they show a scene from Jim Henson's funeral and I cried like a baby and couldnt get the thought out of my head for days regarding what kind of a world it would be, had he lived longer.

Another for me is the song that Ma Otter and Emmet and his jugband sing after working thier first night in the resturant as a tribute to Emmet's late Father. Even as a kid, that scene really got to me.

This ine is newer, but everytime I watch The Muppets, when Kermit starts singing Rainbow Connection and then everyone joins in during the Telethon, I cant healp but shed a few tears. Even listening to the soundtrak, I tear up.
    Yorick likes this.
  11. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Weird one for me lately...

"I just want to say, when I was a kid, I saw you recite 'Hamlet' while jumping your motorbike through a flaming hoop, and it made me feel like I could do anything. Thank you."
    Nasubionna and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  12. Pinkflower7783

Not weird at all!
  13. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

Where do I begin...and which one do I choose sooooo many...but I would have to say the moment they start the Rainbow Connection in the new movie...I tear up. Such a momentous song. It was where the Muppet Movie began and where the new movie almost ended...wasn't the last song...but second to the last. Very moving.
  14. Pinkflower7783

First of all I always cry when Rainbow Connection comes on. In the movie I just bawled.

Second and I dont know that it's a tear jerking scene but at the very end when Kermit walks out of the theater and sees all the fans that just really pulled my heart strings. All I could think of was Jim is proud of you Kermit and all The Muppets and knows you guys are gonna be ok.
  15. JustinHoskie

JustinHoskie Member

"Pictures in My Head" for me. It's like "Baby Mine" in Dumbo for me. I think I'll be able to make it through this time, I'm certain of it! But at the end, when the pictures become motionless, and Kermit lifts up the sheet covering Miss Piggy's portrait to take a silent look at it.... It just tugs at my deepest heartstrings.
  16. Pinkflower7783

Yeah that was also a moving song. Especially when Kermit sings the line "if we could do it all again, just another chance to entertain" I thought of Jim through out the whole film and how much he is missed and how I wish he could've seen this movie.
    Yorick likes this.
  17. Karamazova

Karamazova New Member

I always cry over I'm Going to Go Back There Someday, being Gonzo fan, but I also get teary over The Rainbow Connection.

And Saying Goodbye, of course.

And Big Bird singing at Henson's memorial.

And the tribute they did to Jim Henson. I bawled like a small child to all the muppets reacting to Henson's death.

Also, the Christmas Carol movie. It's the only version where I get sad over Tiny Tim's death (including the original), because it's just heartbreaking to see Kermit so sad.

Basically, there is nothing sadder than a sad muppet.
    miss kermie likes this.
  18. JustinHoskie

JustinHoskie Member

Being the manly-muppet that I am, I watched this and tried to get through it without crying, but when Carroll's voice cracks when he sings "big like a mountain", I got a tear, and I completely dissolved into a weeping 5 year old when he says "Thank you Kermit."
  19. Pinkflower7783

Anytime I see pictures or old footage of Jim Henson I just start crying.
  20. Zeliboba

Zeliboba Member

There are so many tearjerking moments in the Muppet movies (the 'Saying Goodbye' part in MTM really stands out for me), but I cried the most when I watched Frank Oz's speech at Jim Henson's memorial service. My heart breaks everytime I hear him says 'This is when I understood that he loves me and I love him', to the point that I find that moment very difficult to watch.