The Muppet Man BioPic

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I just got the script. It's... interesting so far. I'm not sure what to think at this point. It's depressing.

Edit:

Okay. Wow. That was... that was just bad. I really wanted to like it. It has some GREAT ideas. But the dialogue is pretty hackneyed in a lot of places... Comes off less sentimental and more saccharine. I do not get a strong sense of who Mr. Henson was... In this, his character seems flat and miserable. But from all that I have read and heard about the man, he had a powerful spirit. He wasn't always melancholy like this Jim Henson in the screenplay. It doesn't sound like a lot of research went into the script, either... If THIS is the final screenplay, I don't have much hope for the final product.

Sorry. :/

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Ive read the entire synopsis... this film would crush me, not in either a good or bad way, but I know it would crush me all the same...

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I will also add that I dont know if its possible for this movie and the Segal movie to co-exist within the same time frame....

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Nooo! I have a problem when people Jesus-ify Jim. It should be a nice well rounded image of who he was.
Yeah, I agree. I mean, this is just my opinion on the script. I'm not a professional or anything... just as a fan, and a wannabe filmmaker/screenwriter. :stick_out_tongue: Mr. Henson was a very, very complex man, and I think it'd be extremely difficult to make a film about him. I just would've liked to see a little more research. I mean, at least read "Jim Henson: The Works!"

Beauregard

Reaction score
Thanks for the link (random notey-thingy: Beau, did you write that?), it was a really intresting read. There are some aspects I like about the film, but I also reckon that some parts are just plain unneccessary and a little bit too Out There for a biopic.
Well, I pretty much totally agree with that assessment from the Mindset, but I'd like to think I'd have been a little less harsh about it.

The main point was an interesting one though, not 'is it true?' but 'is it any of our business?'.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I REALLY want them to take the lame depressing middle aged muppets crap out of the picture completely. Do whatever depressing garbage you want to do with Jim, just don't make us suffer the lame "Look at you're childhood heroes now!" stuff. I don't wanna see Kermit as an alcoholic any more than I want to see a morbidly obese computer hacker loner version of Penny from Inspector Gadget (I wasn't a fan of what happened to Brain in Gadgetinis), or Charlie Brown writing a note stating he can't take the depression anymore and dying. No! It's one thing when these sort of things are small giggle worthy Robot Chicken, collegehumor or (where it all originated from and people keep stealing from) Family Guy skits. But as a "look how artistic I am" bit to play for more sadness in a sad soaked script? No! If this gets rewritten, I want to see that part completely out. I don't even want to see the Muppets as anything else but Jim's creation, the act of puppeteers performing them from the puppeteers POV... I want to see behind the scenes. Even if they claim that Miss Piggy was created by an alien race of Elvises, I'd rather see that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I REALLY want them to take the lame depressing middle aged muppets crap out of the picture completely. Do whatever depressing garbage you want to do with Jim, just don't make us suffer the lame "Look at you're childhood heroes now!" stuff. I don't wanna see Kermit as an alcoholic any more than I want to see a morbidly obese computer hacker loner version of Penny from Inspector Gadget (I wasn't a fan of what happened to Brain in Gadgetinis), or Charlie Brown writing a note stating he can't take the depression anymore and dying. No! It's one thing when these sort of things are small giggle worthy Robot Chicken, collegehumor or (where it all originated from and people keep stealing from) Family Guy skits. But as a "look how artistic I am" bit to play for more sadness in a sad soaked script? No! If this gets rewritten, I want to see that part completely out. I don't even want to see the Muppets as anything else but Jim's creation, the act of puppeteers performing them from the puppeteers POV... I want to see behind the scenes. Even if they claim that Miss Piggy was created by an alien race of Elvises, I'd rather see that.
Disney's in charge of this now so such tinkering with the Muppets is very unlikely. It just seems they like the parallel universe concept and that's fine with me.

Kiki

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I REALLY want them to take the lame depressing middle aged muppets crap out of the picture completely.
Agreed. I mean, for a Family Guy-esque sketch, sure, but in a *biopic* it's plain innappropiete. If you ask me, they should just scrap those bits altogether, they're really NOT needed, and hardly amusing (in this context) even for a Muppet fan.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is just me being me, but even if that stuff WAS amusing, it's such a tired joke. I mean, it's fun in college when you tend to over think and analyze everything... but nothing can really be as twisted as what the creators REALLY have in mind. Plus, it's the rough equivalent of quoting movie lines (in and out of context) back in the late 90's early 00's... sure it was funny the first three thousand times you see it. But after a while it gets routine, forgettable, and annoying.

This clearly isn't played for laughs, and seems to do nothing but make a depressing movie even more depressing. I don't wanna see some lame "artistic" rehash of the alternate world from VMX... which is what I get from it. Not that I think Kermit should be sacred... but we ALREADY saw Kermit puking on the Conan O'Brien show.

My main point is, I don't even want to see a happy, wacky Kermit and friends in the movie. I just wanna see the behind the scenes stuff, and the bio part of the bio pic. If they made a Walt Disney bio-pic, even a rose colored glasses positive one that white washed, I wouldn't want to see Mickey in it, other than older footage of him, I want to see the story.