The Muppet Show Alternate Openings

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was wondering about the alternate openings that were made for The Muppet Show.

They made one for the Diana Ross episode, Where a rattle snake goes into Zoot's sax as he plays a note, Then it continues and comes out of Gonzo's trumpet when he is in the 'O'.

Because of the silly edits made, These dont always get shown.

Are there any others that people have seen ?

see ya

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I thought that was the original opening. I thought the only eps that have alternate openings were the first season episodes. That is a good question. What all is missing in the Timelife videos?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Another thing I want to ask about. I just got the Rita Moreno episode today and noticed it had the opening from the Bob Hope episode. The Vincent Price episode had the same opening. Was that how all first season eps began on the Timelife videos or did they use other second season openings as well?

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
Another thing I want to ask about. I just got the Rita Moreno episode today and noticed it had the opening from the Bob Hope episode. The Vincent Price episode had the same opening. Was that how all first season eps began on the Timelife videos or did they use other second season openings as well?
From what I've seen, either the opening varied from show to show, or else there is more than one edit of some shows :smile: In general, the shows used their original opening shot of Kermit introducing the show, simply cutting off before he closes the 'O'. However, at least on my copy, the Vincent Price show doesn't do this - it uses a shot from one of the later seasons with the original sound dubbed over it! No idea why...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
*sigh*

I wish somebody would respond to this post. Right now, my only source of finding out about the first season openings is at the 'guides' page on this website. Also, it's not just the first season. I'd like to know what Waldorf and Statler's comments were at the beginning of each episode in seasons 2-4. (Most sites always seem to neglect that) And there was still no response to what Wiggy said about the Diana Ross episode opening. Where is everybody today?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I believe the opening changed from week to week during the first season, which is probably why they stopped using it.

I actually prefer the season one openers.

Daffyfan,

scarecroe has one of the original openings at his Back Stage... Left site, if you want to check that out.

anathema

Reaction score
I've got the lot on tape here :smile: My copy of the Diana Ross ep also has the rattlesnake bit.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Alex,

I wonder why they only did it for that one episode?

see ya

anathema

Reaction score
Re: Alex,

Originally posted by Warrick
I wonder why they only did it for that one episode?

see ya
Right now the only thing I can think of is that in the original shot, Kermit announces Vincent, and then pulls a face, so maybe they decided it couldn't be edited around. It presumably wasn't due to the master tape being damaged, since I have at least two copies of the original :smile: