The Muppet Show Alternate Openings

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Daffy,

Well Me and Alex are in the UK, So we wouldnt have seen them all.

see ya

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. I'll find out in a few months.

In fact, I'll withdraw the question. I'll take it back right now.

Llew sa srehto esu yeht od ro, gninnigeb edosipe Epoh Bob eht ese soediv Efilemit eht ni sedosipe nosaes tsrif lla od?

What? Backwards spelling is funny when they do it on The Muppet Show. Lol.

Joggy

Reaction score
The ones they did without S&W were:

Scooter: "Somebody kill that light!" (gunshot - light falls)

Gonzo: "I always get butterflies before a show." Butterfly: "Not this time." *SMASH*

Scooter: "Everybody on stage! Everybody is on stage...!"

Beauregard: "Here's your script - WHOOPS!" *trips*

Beauregard, watching Foofoo: "Who let this dog in here?"

Floyd plays a bass solo and a gorilla smashes him between two cymbals

A furry snake comes out of Zoot's sax

During Rowlf's piano solo, Beauregard starts sweeping on the piano

A rattlesnake goes into Zoot's sax

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
I see. I'm just surprised that a lot of people here haven't seen all the season 1 openings on the Timelife videos. I'll just have to wait until I get the other two to find out.
Ok, the Mummenschanz ep uses the set of titles which end with Gonzo blowing a small green balloon out of his trumpet. I don't have the Juliet Prowse ep to check.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Daffyfan-

All the Time-Life first season eps use second season openings. Vincent Price and Rita Moreno use the Bob Hope opening, Mummenschanz uses the Bernadette Peters opening, I think Juliet Prowse uses the Milton Berle opening (I would have to double-check, I don't watch it now that I have the original).

The response I got from Henson.com as to why this is done is because the original first season ones were low-tech and low-budget and Jim himself preferred the later ones, so nowadays they're substituted. They were run on Dutch TV not too long ago. Only place to find them these days is in private collections.

And to add to Jog's list:

#51 Roy Clark-
Scooter: "Somebody kill that light!" (gunshot - light falls)

#52 Gilda Radner-
Gonzo: "I always get butterflies before a show." Butterfly: "Not this time." *SMASH*

#53 Pearl Bailey-
Scooter: "Everybody on stage! Everybody is on stage...!"

#59 Raquel Welch-
Beauregard pulls on a rope and a sandbag falls on his head.

#60 James Coco-
Beauregard: "Here's your script - WHOOPS!" *trips*

#71 Lynn Redgrave-
Beauregard and some merry men stand in the wings and an arrow flies toward them and hits the wall.
Beauregard: "Say, that was GOOD!"

#76 Dyan Cannon-
Beauregard, watching Foofoo: "Who let this dog in here?"

#87 Anne Murray-
Floyd plays a bass solo and a gorilla smashes him between two cymbals

#92 Alan Arkin
During Rowlf's piano solo, Beauregard starts sweeping on the piano

#95 Carol Channing
A feather boa (see Twiggy ep. opening #, one of the backups) comes out of Zoot's sax

#96 Diana Ross
A rattlesnake goes into Zoot's sax

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gorgon Heap
The response I got from Henson.com as to why this is done is because the original first season ones were low-tech and low-budget and Jim himself preferred the later ones, so nowadays they're substituted. They were run on Dutch TV not too long ago. Only place to find them these days is in private collections.
Actually, whenever a channel in an English-speaking country with the PAL standard (England, Australia, maybe even New Zealand) reruns the season 1 eps, they sometimes run the original-opening ones, probably because it's cheaper than getting new ones made....

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Actually, whenever a channel in an English-speaking country with the PAL standard (England, Australia, maybe even New Zealand) reruns the season 1 eps, they sometimes run the original-opening ones, probably because it's cheaper than getting new ones made....
The Disney Channel in Australia have some (but not all) with the original titles; Germany have a full set, as do France. I've not seen any broadcasts in the UK that still have the original titles.

Joggy

Reaction score
Over here all the season 1 openings are used, except for the episodes that were broadcasted in the late 80's, early 90's. These episodes have season 2 openings here:

Rita Moreno
Paul Williams
Charles Aznavour
Lena Horne
Sandy Duncan
Twiggy
Ethel Merman
Mummenschanz

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
The Disney Channel in Australia have some (but not all) with the original titles; Germany have a full set, as do France. I've not seen any broadcasts in the UK that still have the original titles.
You're very wise. :smile: