The MuppetCast - Show #41 - Tribute to Richard Hunt

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow

I just finished the show, I laughted i cried, i shouted your face!

What a wonderfull show so beautyfully done, Thanks Steve you did a great job.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Ooh cool; nice to see how popular the show is.
Yep, you gave the old number earlier in the thread.
Well, in trying to get the tribute episode, I wound up listening to the Beatles episode which I didn't listen to last week, so at least I know there are no problems there. Basically, it's a matter of waiting for it to play, and knowing that the Richard tribute is about twice as long as the Beatles episode, it'll probably have to wait 'til tomorrow, lol! Nice episode last week, by the way.
:smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
My God Steve, you were right! I now have a very different perception of Richard than I did before!

The whole show was beautiful. My surprise began right from the opening. Normally, unless there's some system I'm unaware of, the openings and closings of the show are fairly random, that is to say, in no particular order with no great significance. This, on the other hand, which I realized a few seconds into it, had more meaning than just a skit that one of Richard's characters appeard in. This show was, after all, his life.
Te interviews were wonderful; it was nice to hear different peoples' perspectives on working with and knowing him. It was heart-breaking to hear, and I didn't think it would ever leave the forefront of my mind, the story Frank Oz told about the near end of Richard's life. Fortunately though, that was just the beginning of the show, and I heard many stories and songs to make me laugh and smile. It was great hearing from those you interviewed, and of course, extremely generous and wonderful of them to volunteer their time for the show. For some reason, the sound quality for the Martin Baker conversation was a bit distorted. Was it because of distance? I'm not even going to try to sort out my favorites, but it should come as no surprise that Mrs. Hunt's was among them. From the beginning, she came across as such a wonderful, lively and spirited woman, I felt like I could just sit and listen and talk with her for hours! As for the songs, they were all very well chosen, and even though there was little doubt, I'm glad you didn't leave out Fraggle Rock!
Chuckled at the toothpaste anecdote at the end. Yeah, that's happened to me before.

Thank you Steve.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I must say, this has been the first MuppetCast I have heard and I was deeply moved. Though I have always loved Richard as a performer, I have an even greater deal of love and respect for him. Just hearing the stories of how generous and helpful he was such as when he helped the ladies catch a cab inspire me. Those simple (and sometimes extravagant) acts of kindness really say alot about him and just form listening to the interviews and stories, I feel like I know him now. What a special guy. I think that everyone can learn from Richard Hunt's kindness.

I only just discovered the MuppetCast, but you can bet that I will look out for more episodes in the future!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Though I have always loved Richard as a performer, I have an even greater deal of love and respect for him. Just hearing the stories of how generous and helpful he was
Definitely, we've discussed it many times on the RHLC thread and it was great to hear it confirmed by so many on the podcast. You know, when you have a lot of talent, and are greatly respected for it, you have a choice. You can either keep it all to yourself and bask in the glory, or you can share what you have and what you know with your fellow performers and "underlings", hehe. Thankfully, Richard was willing and even eager to do the latter. :wink:

I think it's great that Kevin Clash is always eager to talk about how Richard handed Elmo off to him because it is a great story on how to behave as a performer, employee, and human being. Richard decides he honestly doesn't like this character and instead of tossing it on a shelf, he gives Kevin an opportunity to advance himself, partically forcing him to come up with a voice, whether he wanted to or not, hehe. After awhile the Elmo characters becomes very popular. It would be very easy and very human for Richard to be slightly resentful when all these kids in his presence are suddenly demanding the little red guy. But instead he made sure the kids were not disapointed, and that Kevin got a chance to shine in the spotlight.

I really liked Skye's comment on the podcast, that Richard encouraged others to be more than they were and live their dreams. And there's also the lesson that being generous is not always easy, because you often have to give something up yourself. That's what makes it special. :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It was a good tribute, though it is a shame that there werne't any audio clips with Janice or Sweetums (or Statler). Since I Get By with a Little Help from My Friends was included in the previous show it would have been great if Janice's other big number, Rockin' Robin was included, and for Sweetums, maybe his park sketch with Sandy Duncna, or Two Lost Souls, his duet with Robin. Of course I don't know what Steve Swanson doesn't have access to (though I'd assume that he has both TMS season sets).

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Well, I imagine the cast had to make room for characters from all of the Big Three shows, as well as the interviews. Even on a big, impressive tribute show, there are time and disk space limits.

Went back and had another listen tonight. It's fun to hear all those stories again, about the Andes trek and the big cast parties and the paper route. And listening to Frank tell how Richard stood up for the underdog, it makes me think of one of the stories Jane told - how Richard, as a paper boy, once had his papers stolen and tossed into the mud by a bunch of other kids. (and since the vice principal witnessed it, I'll bet those kids got suspended or something) Richard knew what it was like to be bullied...and that incident with the papers must have made him more determined, as an adult working with the Muppets, to help make the world a better place.

Another topic: you know, listening to David and Kevin's descriptions of how Richard would get new performers to do speaking parts, it makes me visualize him as a skydiving instructor in a plane, saying, "Okay, it's your turn. Happy landings, and don't hit any geese on your way down!" as he proceeds to push each student out of the plane one by one. And then, of course, he'd catapult himself out of the plane to join them.

(And if what Jane and the others said is any indication, Richard probably wouldn't even be wearing a parachute!)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
how Richard, as a paper boy, once had his papers stolen and tossed into the mud by a bunch of other kids. (and since the vice principal witnessed it, I'll bet those kids got suspended or something) Richard knew what it was like to be bullied...and that incident with the papers must have made him more determined, as an adult working with the Muppets, to help make the world a better place.
I was never a paper girl, but I can definitely identify with trying to do a good thing and having nasty, irresponsible kids trying to ruin it for me. Middle school can be a truly miserable experience, heh. It can make your very bitter. Although hopefully it also inspires you to want to improve the world. :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And yet... Richard used that experience to his advantage. If you've seen The Bunny Picnic special, you'll see Richard's character being a bit of a bully himself. Though Lugsy had to swallow his pride and admit that Bean was right and brave and everything a leader should be in the end... But I digress.
Another thing that made me laugh was how David recognized Richard... And how Richard in turn recognized David at the workshops.

Wonder what'll be the focus of the next episode.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Another thing that made me laugh was how David recognized Richard... And how Richard in turn recognized David at the workshops.
Me too; "Hey, is that that [CENSORED] from Chicago?" just about killed me.

-Kim