1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

"The Muppets" first preview screening

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by hiho2themuppets, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Well, at least in this movie Piggie was a lot more to herself and secluded, which is rather incomparable to any Piggie. What was added on was deeper emotion.
    But she'll get her "KERMIEKERMIEKERMIE"s out.

2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Oooh! Is there any Clifford? What about Sal and Johnny?

3. No go on all of them. Without Brian Henson sadly I didn't expect Sal or Johnny. There might be a little Clifford somewhere that I missed, but other than that, no.

4. bknatchbull

bknatchbull Well-Known Member

Here's a question regarding the special effects in the movie. How were they? Do we get any 'special moment' like the first time we saw Kermit and the Muppets on bikes or driving a car? Are there many 'full bodied' Muppet shots and if so, did they look good?

5. There's no special effect moment like that, but expect very well done full body shots. The blue screening wasn't completely done yet for this screening, but overall the special effects were nice. No arm-wires to be seen anywhere.

6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Dont go into debt unless you're planning an epic trip in LA/southern california that coincides with the film. I am seriously hoping Disney does an official Muppet fan weekend or something akin to elecTRONica at Disneyland. D23 doesnt seem like it will have near the Muppet presence that 2009 D23 had, so Im skipping that. But I will be in southern california in a nano second if Disney does announce something Muppety related, and would be a perfect opportunity for a fan gathering.

That's unfortunate that Europe doesn't get the film til February. I'd say since you're planning to see it anyways, if you absolutely can't wait I'm sure a good quality torrent would suffice. My friends and family plan on seeing it at the theatres multiple times:)

7. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Looks like this movie's going to be big. It's funny, I saw the trailer a few weeks ago before Winnie the Pooh and gave it some applause, to which some guy behind me sarcastically shouted out "Yeah, sure can't wait for that to come out!" with a mocking tone in his voice. Looks like the joke will be on him come November. :fishy:

8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Was surprised to hear of such an early screening! (Though I guess it's not toooo early, I've heard of rough cuts shown a year before they're released...the Blade 3 advanced screening I heard had some super ghetto temporary shots in it, heh)

So alas, questions from me!

1. I had become worried from the full length trailer at the rather surreal over the top goofy nature of Segal's character and the Segal/Adams love interest. I expect fourth wall breakage, but something about some of the tone struck me as a bit too slapstick. (The first Muppet films were full of slapstick but seemed more rooted in the real world)
    Just wondering if Segal brings way too much unbelievable goofyness that takes one out of the movie?

2. Actually this is my biggest question: Just HOW far do they go with the whole device in acknowledging the Muppets have been seen as has beens by the public, as well as the whole meta-meta fiction of acknowledging all previous Muppet films/shows? (Acknowledging them as actors, not living out actual canon laid out by a film or special)

3. Did you notice a good deal of easter eggs/things that hardcore fans will pick up and be
    giddy about?(either visual or mentioned references)

4. Are Walter, 80's Robot and "The Moopets" the only new characters you noticed?
    And were there any TMS or other older Muppet characters you were stunned to see?
    (It seems like Thog is in the film a lot)

5. Finally, with the plot device of Walter as a rabid fan...without going too spoilery, do they kind of mirror his antics on things some of us have been known to do?(ie: Going on Muppet fan blogs or forums, arguing in Aint it Cool News talk backs, bidding for rare stuff on ebay, facebook wall posts with Muppet videos or posts, youtube, etc)?

9. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

(jaw drops)

Thanks so much for posting all this, hiho! (Indeed, welcome to the forum!) I was just wondering when Disney would have a preview screening.

Thanks for letting us know about Pepe and Bobo. What about Rizzo? Does he have any significant screentime?

Also, you said this movie is second to TMM in your opinion. Would you mind ranking the other movies so we can get a better sense of your taste? For me, I'd rank them Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppet Movie, Muppet Christmas Carol, Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets from Space, Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and Muppets' Wizard of Oz (by far the worst - the only outright BAD Muppet movie, IMHO).

Not that I doubt you, of course. It's just that everyone is different. Some people would rank Great Muppet Caper first; still others would rank Christmas Carol first! So understanding your ranking of each movie will help me better understand what kind of movie we're in for.

Thanks again! :)

10. dietrich

dietrich Member

I have a question does Lips play with the Electric Mayhem? I saw him in the Orchestra Pit.

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, his scene may have been edited out. Hiho2themuppets said the "I'm a Muppet" gag wasn't part of the screening, so not everything we heard was in the movie. Who knows, maybe they'll be put back in; we'll just have to wait for the final product.

12. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

If "hiho" doesn't remember seeing Clifford, then he's probably just in a background scene somewhere.

13. The bits of Jason Segel used in the main trailer are all cuts the most energetic seconds he has in the movie. He's not actually that goofy, as they leave that to the Muppets.
    As slapstick as it seems, it's really not as it is in the movie.
    Yes.

Walter and the 80's robot are the only new Muppet characters I saw.

Walter is just more of an average, wholesome, grew-up-watching-The-Muppets-on-TV kind of fan.

newsmanfan likes this.
  14. Any time, and thank you! It was a great movie, and I'm glad I'm lowering some people's shoulders.

For me, my Muppet-ranking would start with The Muppet Movie, The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets from Space, Very Merry Muppet Movie, and then Muppets Wizard of Oz.

15. TheAnimaniac

TheAnimaniac New Member

Was it well written? How did the older characters like Thog and Uncle Deadly do?

16. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Are there any specific references to past Muppet productions or any hidden gems like that? Do we perhaps see actual The Muppet Show footage playing on a TV or something?

17. TSSD

TSSD Active Member

I have three questions.
    1. Is Rizzo in the movie at all? If so, how big a part does he have
    2. Is the fart shoes gag presented as it was in the trailer, mentioned as low humor that the Muppets shouldn't stoop to?
    3. Are there any other moments of "Potty Humor"

18. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Thanks for your response, hiho! Your breakdown of the film rankings is very similar to mine, which gives me even more reason to be excited. :)

19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So I guess that means the rest of the band wasn't with Animal when the Muppets get back together. Sigh.

You could just be misremembering, but if Janice doesn't have any lines, then I think it's odd they chose to make a Moopet resembling Janice (I already thought it was odd Janice had a Moopet counterpart without the rest of the band included).

Do all of the Moopets have names? I saw a Moopets t-shirt which was a gift to the cast and crew, and it depicted a human among the group. Do you know who this human was supposed to represent (Jim Henson? Sweetums? A guest star?)?

I wrote an article for The Muppet Mindset recently listing characters I want to see in the film who haven't been spotted in the trailers (Ryan Dosier added a few to my list). My list is here: http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/07/muppets-not-in-muppets-trailers.html Do you remember if any of the characters in that list appear in the film?

I assume that Steve Whitmire performed Link, Matt Vogel performed Dr. Strangepork, and David Rudman performed Wayne, but do you happen to know who performed Wanda in this movie?

Finally, were there any scenes with so many characters that it was hard to spot everyone in just one viewing?

I must say, with you joining the forum right after seeing the movie before the rest of us, I figure this thread'll help you reach 100 posts soon (not sure if that's a goal of yours).

20. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Interesting. I read an early draft of the script and one thing i was struck by was that draft seemed to have a lot of Janice lines in comparion to the rest of the band (not counting Animal)

I know you mentioned it regards to Jason/Amy that the film is indeed the Muppets' movie but still were there any parts where you felt it got a little human-heavy? One of the biggest weaknesses of the Sept 09 draft was that the first 10-15 minutes were mostly Walter/Gary/Mary with no actual Muppet sighting (save for photographs and the like) til about 15 minutes in - did this aspect of the beginning get fixed?