The Muppets is Brainwashing Our Kids

beaker

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to you too. And the Muppets have never been afraid to be liberal. You shouldn't be either. :wink:
Well I'll say, Jim Henson said his point of Fraggle Rock was to end war. So you could call that liberal, tho social conservative Ron Paul is more anti war than most Democrats. Meanwhile, the Republicans who tried to shut down PBS and Sesame Street(who also used Sesame Street songs in brutal Iraqi torture sessions) got us into multiple wars, forcing Sesame Street to make a special where Rosita's dad lost a leg in Iraq.

The Muppet Show was about as liberal as it gets

beaker

Reaction score
Well I agree with you that far. I guess I would have a hard time swallowing the Muppets pushing any sort of political viewpoint. Especially one I couldn't agree with. I always use them as my escape from that crud, so the whole idea just screams wrong to me. Maybe that's immature. Either way, I hate the mean-spirited discussions that come of political arguments. :smile:
The Muppets have(thankfully) always been extremely liberal. The anti war and songs promoting peace on the Muppet show, the spoof of social conservatives with Sam the Eagle, all the interviews with Jim Henson stating his views, the very gay friendly atmosphere, the pro environmentalist message

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I'll say, Jim Henson said his point of Fraggle Rock was to end war. So you could call that liberal, tho social conservative Ron Paul is more anti war than most Democrats.
Lol, yeah seriously. Though his motivation as I understand it is more isolationist, right?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Muppets have(thankfully) always been extremely liberal. The anti war and songs promoting peace on the Muppet show, the spoof of social conservatives with Sam the Eagle, all the interviews with Jim Henson stating his views, the very gay friendly atmosphere, the pro environmentalist message
Exactly. And since it's the holiday season I'll add this Kermit quote that fits what you're saying:

"I don't know if you believe in Christmas. Or if you have presents under the Christmas tree. But if you believe in love, that will be more than enough for you to come and celebrate with me." :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Exactly, in the truncated version released in theaters, that's the simple one dimensionality we are left with. Had the film not been butchered, we woulda found out a much deeper significance that motivates him AND made the pivotal scene with Uncle Deadly make sense.
I think the philanthropist joke saved it from being too one dimensional. I'm glad the movie ended up how it did. It's really not that different from The Muppet Movie taking on Doc Hopper. In both cases, the Muppets were challenging corporate greed. And the Uncle Deadly scene is one of my favorites just how it is. :smile:

I've told other fans about the cut scenes and they really didn’t find them that necessary for the villain to be effective. Usually scenes are cut with good reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
B-friggin-S. I'm calling complete Shenanigans on your statement in full.

The rich guy as bad guy is a common plot device used in film and literature for years. You might as well go after The Muppet Movie's Doc Hopper for exposing the evils of franchises and big business, Muppet Christmas Carol for Scrooge being an evil rich guy
Uhhh... to be fair, and I've said this often, A Christmas Carol was one of Dickens's MANY anti-big business themed stories. The tale wasn't just Scrooge was a rich guy who lost his way, the story was a commentary on Industrial Revolution era policies of working the poor to death, unfair and unreasonably unpayable debts (debtor's prison was a recurring theme in his novels), and basically the rotten, wretched types that profit from the misery of others.
But that's just me... everyone forgets that. I am by no means a literary scholar, but everyone forgets that and it annoys me... sort of like when people say that Porky Pig says "Budee budee budee That's all folks." or that whole "Play it Again, Sam" misquote.

Now, there IS something I forgot to post in my review of the movie. And I'm surprised none of the other fans got this, but I found the story sort of a parallel between Henson and EMTV and even Disney.... Tex lies about purchasing the studios to preserve it, and at one point threatens to junk the Muppets for the Moopets because the Muppets lost the right to the Muppet name and likenesses... hint hint... but all the sudden at the end Tex decides to let the Muppets have it... seriously, isn't that what happened during the EMTV bit, if you replace "decides to let the Muppets Have it" with "Henson had the money, and EMTV gave the Sesame Street characters to Sesame Workshop?"

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, I was having a hard time figuring out which studio the movie was really complaining about, LOL. They have a case for basically every studio that's ever had their arms you know where.

Anyway... re: the Occupy Sesame Street sign above ...

Uh ... ok, the Muppet one I get, but whoever made that pic SERIOUSLY equates a guy who lives in a trash can (admittedly well-furnished, I guess) with evil greedy CEOs? Do they KNOW who Oscar is? Oscar thinks trash is treasure and treasure is crap. I can't really imagine him going along with Wall Street.

Now, Count von Count, OTOH, endlessly counts all his stuff and clearly lives posh. If you're living in a cold alley beside a run-down apartment building, HE'D be the person I'd expect you to camp out and whine in front of. :stick_out_tongue: